Earthquake

Old February 25th 06, 02:43 AM

Default Earthquake

I just experienced an earthquake!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/usjpad.php

I don't think I could handle California without "Depends".
How the hell do you stand it?
--

IMPORTANT: Newsfeeds.com does not condone,support,nor
tolerate spam or Schattie the fscking wingnut!

Old February 25th 06, 03:08 AM

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
I just experienced an earthquake!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/usjpad.php

4.0? Well, congratulations. But that wouldn't even slosh the water
around in the swimming pool.

You should move to Mammoth Lakes - earthquakes all the time and they're
caused by lava forcing its way to the surface in preparation to blowing
the whole town off the map.

I don't think I could handle California without "Depends".
How the hell do you stand it?

You know what scares me? Visiting the East coast, with all those brick
buildings. Death traps. Wouldn't find a Californian in an unreinforced
brick building.
Old February 25th 06, 03:27 AM

lal_truckee wrote:

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
I just experienced an earthquake!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/usjpad.php

4.0?

4.5, but no big difference anyway.

Well, congratulations. But that wouldn't even slosh the water
around in the swimming pool.

Or the fishbowl. Or the toilet. There was a big one in the early 80s that
scared the **** out of an easterner visiting our Mountain View office. She
got sloshed in the bathroom. She had kind of a funny look when she came back
into the office and kept bumping into walls and tripping over filing cabinets.
They sent her home for the day. Accountants don't work well when terrified.

Easterners are fun to watch.

You should move to Mammoth Lakes - earthquakes all the time and they're
caused by lava forcing its way to the surface in preparation to blowing
the whole town off the map.

A former boss bought two Mammoth condos cheap after a big one in the '70s.
I'm ashamed to say that I just don't know when or where the big ones were.

I don't think I could handle California without "Depends".
How the hell do you stand it?

Ice storms, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes etc. are all predictable. If you
live east of the Rockies you'll get at least one every year, and perhaps a
selection. Earthquakes worth noticing don't happen very often. The odds are
in our favor.

Worst one so far meant we got rid of a lot of books that weren't worth putting
back on the shelves, so it was a positive boon. We also discovered that a 19"
TV could hang by its power cord without incurring damage. There are also some
cracks in the porch and driveway, but those don't really count. Everybody has
cracks in the porch and driveway.

You know what scares me? Visiting the East coast, with all those brick
buildings. Death traps. Wouldn't find a Californian in an unreinforced
brick building.

Huh? There are lots of them. They just haven't got around to fixing them all
yet.

--
Cheers, Bev
Segal's Law: A man with one watch knows the time.
Old February 25th 06, 04:14 AM

Tornadoes are pretty keen too, as are Hurricanes.
Then when you live in Wash or Colorado, volcanoes.
Ain't no where safe, so just stick your head into a hole and you're
all hunky dory.

Old February 25th 06, 05:22 AM

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message
I just experienced an earthquake

Congratulations!

Not a big one in California, but that's based on a a lifetime of experience
living/working in buildings designed to survive earthquakes.

Me, I wouldn't want to live in Tornado Alley.

Old February 25th 06, 06:13 AM

lal_truckee wrote:

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
I just experienced an earthquake!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/usjpad.php

4.0? Well, congratulations. But that wouldn't even slosh the water
around in the swimming pool.

You should move to Mammoth Lakes - earthquakes all the time and they're
caused by lava forcing its way to the surface in preparation to blowing
the whole town off the map.

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know where I'ma going to go when the volcano blows!

--
Before Heading to the Hills Head to The Wisconsin Skier:
http://www.wi-ski.com/
Old February 25th 06, 06:15 AM

LeeD wrote:

Tornadoes are pretty keen too, as are Hurricanes.
Then when you live in Wash or Colorado, volcanoes.
Ain't no where safe, so just stick your head into a hole and you're
all hunky dory.

Also, be sure to wear your helmet. The Norwegian study says it works!