Whistler or Vail?????

Old November 4th 03, 09:52 PM
Sandy Clyburn

Default Whistler or Vail?????

need help with my winter vacation decision.
haven't been to either ,please share some of
your experiences about either resort.

Old November 7th 03, 02:17 AM
Jack Nixon

Sandy Clyburn wrote:

need help with my winter vacation decision.
haven't been to either ,please share some of
your experiences about either resort.

Whistler/Blackcomb is a place every skier ought to see and ski at least
once. Vertical rise of 5,280' and runs longer than you'd think possible
sorta give you the idea. Lots of things to do other than skiing plus
more apres ski than most of us can do. However, it is too close to
Vancouver (can be crowded), the highway is dreadful and it's has a low
altitude base which can be wet.

Vail too is huge and offers incredible skiing variety, though some say
it's all intermediate. Proximity to Beaver Creek gives you even more
places to ski. Vail does get lots of day skiers from the Front Range so
holidays and weekends can be wicked crowded, and the highway from
Denver, I-70, can be a mess. A powder day anywhere in the Back Bowls is
a dream experience.

Whistler and Vail are both big time spendy resorts. British Columbia and
Colorado have other areas that can give you a memorable holiday/vacation
with less hassle and cost. I have my favorties, maybe you can find
yours.

Old November 7th 03, 05:36 AM
Go Fig

In article , Jack Nixon
wrote:

Sandy Clyburn wrote:

[...]

Very good summary. They both have very nice pedestrian villages too.

jay
Thu, Nov 6, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old November 7th 03, 07:56 AM
InMyTree

Whistler and Vail are both big time spendy resorts.

I would imagine that Whistler would be cheaper than almost all (big) US ski
resorts.. I found the prices there very reasonable..

Old November 7th 03, 11:12 AM
Steve Haigh

InMyTree wrote:
Whistler and Vail are both big time spendy resorts.

I would imagine that Whistler would be cheaper than almost all (big) US ski
resorts.. I found the prices there very reasonable..

I've not been back for a few years, but Whistler is way more expensive
than any other Canadian resort, I think it is still cheaper than the big
US resorts, but not by much.

Old November 7th 03, 02:28 PM
Chester Bullock

Steve Haigh wrote:

InMyTree wrote:

Whistler and Vail are both big time spendy resorts.

I would imagine that Whistler would be cheaper than almost all (big)
US ski
resorts.. I found the prices there very reasonable..

I've not been back for a few years, but Whistler is way more expensive
than any other Canadian resort, I think it is still cheaper than the big
US resorts, but not by much.

I would guess with exchange rates it would be cheaper than Vail by a
long shot.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old November 10th 03, 04:09 PM
Walt

Sandy Clyburn wrote:

need help with my winter vacation decision.
haven't been to either ,please share some of
your experiences about either resort.

I visited both last season, so I'll give it a whirl.

Vail had the longest lift lines I've ever seen. If you're idea of a
good time is spending all day standing in line, go to Vail. Did I
mention that it's expensive?

Whistler is very big. Two mountains with over 5000' of vertical each.
It precipitates a lot - rain at the bottom, fog in the middle, snow at
the top. Sometimes there's sunshine at the top. If you like heavy
thick fresh snow, go to Whistler. If you like skiing in the fog, go to
Whistler. If you like skiing in the rain, go to Whistler. If you like
skiing on firm snow in the sunshine, go somewhere else.

Short answer: Whistler by a mile. I'll probably go back to Whistler
some day, but I doubt I'll ever go back to Vail. (Copper is right down
the road, and far superior...)

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 12th 03, 04:25 PM
toddjb

"Sandy Clyburn" wrote in message ...
need help with my winter vacation decision.
haven't been to either ,please share some of
your experiences about either resort.

They're both fantastic places.

Every mountain has its crowded days. And like I said in an earlier
post, if you just stay off the lower lifts at either resort you
won't spend much time in line.

Price them both out for the dates you are considering, you will
absolutely be blown away by either.

-todd

Old December 22nd 03, 06:09 AM
Sam Seiber

cindy wrote:

Colorado snowfall is 20% below normal this fall

New York Cop Voice
There is nothing to ski here
Keep moving
There is nothing to ski here
Keep moving
/New York Cop Voice

Sam "Waiting for something to ski in CO ;-)" Seiber