Worn Rotefella Boots

Old March 22nd 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil

Default Worn Rotefella Boots

Dear All,
just back from an excellent trip to Norway. One problem, in heavy snow,
very difficult to turn in, I had a problem with my boots coming out of my
bindings. I use a pair of leather boots of I suspect traditional Norwegian
welt construction and traditional 3 pin Rotefella binding.
My question is, how can I tell if the 3 holes in the toe of the boot are
worn. The rubber part has been enlarged towards the tip of the shoe and the
metal part underneath seems to becoming elliptical. Could this be the
problem?
Tomorrow, I will see if I can clean out the holes. They may be trapping
dirt.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Neil

Old March 23rd 09, 06:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Neil wrote:
Dear All,
just back from an excellent trip to Norway. One problem, in heavy snow,
very difficult to turn in, I had a problem with my boots coming out of
my bindings. I use a pair of leather boots of I suspect traditional
Norwegian welt construction and traditional 3 pin Rotefella binding.
My question is, how can I tell if the 3 holes in the toe of the boot
are worn. The rubber part has been enlarged towards the tip of the shoe
and the metal part underneath seems to becoming elliptical. Could this
be the problem?

Yes indeed!

Normally it was sufficient to press the binding further down, i.e.
tighten it, as much as possible.

Tomorrow, I will see if I can clean out the holes. They may be trapping
dirt.
Any thoughts?

You're on the right track.

Replacing your setup with NNN-BC is probably a better idea for the long
run though. :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old March 23rd 09, 01:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the boot tip in the cold light of day,
the rubber is worn and the holes in the metal plate are becoming distinctly
worn done and elliptical. The boots are 20 years old.

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no