Ski boot sizing

Old January 31st 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Tim Troupe

Default Ski boot sizing

Hi,
I am a newbie at this sport and have a question.When I ski I get very
sore heels...rubbed raw.This of course limits my time x-country skiing.I
wear about a size 11 mens shoe and have boots that are EU44.That seemed
to fit ok when I bought them but like I said I am a novice.What is a
normal ski boot size for mens size 11 shoe?I tried putting wide bandaids
on my heals before I go skiing which helps.I appreciate any help or
suggestions.Thanks,Michigan X-C skier

Old January 31st 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
DJ Daimon

Tim Troupe wrote:
Hi,
I am a newbie at this sport and have a question.When I ski I get very
sore heels...rubbed raw.This of course limits my time x-country skiing.I
wear about a size 11 mens shoe and have boots that are EU44.That seemed
to fit ok when I bought them but like I said I am a novice.What is a
normal ski boot size for mens size 11 shoe?I tried putting wide bandaids
on my heals before I go skiing which helps.I appreciate any help or
suggestions.Thanks,Michigan X-C skier

Hi Tim,

I find US shoe sizes to be extremely variable - I take anywhere between
a US 9.5 and 11 depending on manufacturer. For Ski boots, I'm generally
a 43 or 44, depending on boot style for the most part.

From what you're describing, your heels are rubbing up and down on the
back of the boot.

What are you wearing sock-wise? Personally, for my rec-skiing, I always
double-sock it, like I do when hiking - that way, any friction is
between the two sock layers, instead of skin and sock.

Chris
Old February 1st 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kskier

Tim,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this may sound stupid,,,,but are you getting your
boot laces tight? If you are, then if the boots are new,,,,,,,they are
just too big. How old are your boots? If they are really
old,,,,,,,,,,maybe it's time to get some new boots. If they are older
boots, they may be just tired, and are stretched out in the heel
area. If you look on line,,,,,,,,,,,most x-c stores list the
crossover in US sizes. If you having that much trouble with
blisters,,,,,,,I would not recommend using 2 socks,,,,,,,,,,as your
feet get sweaty,this may cause more blisters.

Old February 1st 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr

Tim Troupe wrote:
Hi,
I am a newbie at this sport and have a question.When I ski I get very
sore heels...rubbed raw.This of course limits my time x-country skiing.I
wear about a size 11 mens shoe and have boots that are EU44.That seemed
to fit ok when I bought them but like I said I am a novice.What is a
normal ski boot size for mens size 11 shoe?I tried putting wide bandaids
on my heals before I go skiing which helps.I appreciate any help or
suggestions.Thanks,Michigan X-C skier

My comment is a little backwards. I wear a size 11 US and must wear EU
size 45 or my toenail hits the front a lot. Note that size 11 US is
different than 11UK and of course womans size scale is different also.
My boots aren't all that tight (cold feet if too tight!), but I do
double sock it, the inner sock being a smooth wicking sock.
gr
Old February 1st 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
wintermutt

On Jan 31, 10:10 am, (Tim Troupe) wrote:
Hi,
I am a newbie at this sport and have a question.When I ski I get very
sore heels...rubbed raw.This of course limits my time x-country skiing.I
wear about a size 11 mens shoe and have boots that are EU44.That seemed
to fit ok when I bought them but like I said I am a novice.What is a
normal ski boot size for mens size 11 shoe?I tried putting wide bandaids
on my heals before I go skiing which helps.I appreciate any help or
suggestions.Thanks,Michigan X-C skier

a few things.
1. not all lasts are the same. or sizes.
2. a boot that does not fit can be modified.
there are tongue pads that can be stuck on, there are lots of
orthotics to be tried (superfeet etc.)
different socks etc.
3. i go from a d width to a b width (and back) depending on my body
weight.
so my shoe size varies from year to year.
4. there is no perfect fit.

Old February 8th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

What's the brand and model? Some boots have a heel strap that can be
adjusted. You shouldn't need to wear two socks. Otherwise you
probably need a boot with a better heel fit, which is a common
difficulty. Problem is that boot fit should determine binding brand.
Feet need to be comfortable or it won't be fun. Feet vary, but I am
surprised at your 44. I am an 11 US and use 46 Euro for classic,
45-1/3 for skate. For classic, there should be as much room ahead of
the big toe as in trail shoes because the motion is forward and back.
Skate boots can be somewhat closer because there isn't that motion, but
still comfortable.