Hockey and XC?

Old February 17th 05, 06:59 AM
Janne G

Default Hockey and XC?

When there's no NHL seson, is there a chans that this is going to make
more XC-skiers instead of hockeyplayers?
"Save XC"

JAnne G

Old February 17th 05, 07:47 PM
Tim Kelley

Actually, NHL hockey players could help xc skiing grow. XC skating is
good specific aerobic training for hockey players. Clubs and race
organizers might consider inviting NHL'ers to ski events (if you have
such pro teams nearby). Give them gear to use and lessons. If these
high-profile athletes start touting the pros of xc ski-skating ... it
sure couldn't hurt the sport. Actually, in Anchorage I know a couple
of ex-pro hockey players that ski. I don't think they play hockey any
more ... they are now gun-ho xc skiing addicts.
TK

Old February 17th 05, 09:19 PM
cpella

True, most hockey players have to grow up at some point. Having played
hockey alot in my youth, I would call it 95% anaerobic rather than
aerobic. My boss coaches soccer which is very similiar and we've
discussed the physiology. They don't do very much steady running in
zone 1-2. Lots of repeat sprinting is more the order. The ability to
generate a short burst and then recover quickly. Plyometrics is the big
thing for hockey and soccer training.

Having said that, I've always wondered why I don't see any of the
Scandinavian hockey players like Daniel Alfredson who live in Ottawa on
the trails. Maybe they are worried about injuries.

Old February 18th 05, 12:59 AM

cpella wrote:
True, most hockey players have to grow up at some point. Having

played
hockey alot in my youth, I would call it 95% anaerobic rather than
aerobic.

Tons of hockey players smoked cigarettes as late as the 1980s. I'd
guess it's still true. I'm not sure how good their endurance would be
as a result. Gretzky used to get a lot of goals in the third period
when everyone was tired. Gretzky had very good endurance.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old February 18th 05, 03:18 AM
Scott Elliot

As far as I can tell the only people (other than NHL players) who will be
effected by the loss of the NHL season will be people who have nothing
better to do with their time than sit around watching grown men play.

Kids who play hockey will continue to play and may even benefit because they
won't be seeing the unsportsman like conduct of the pros on TV. They may
actually learn to use skill instead.

People who just sit in front of the TV and watch NHL may benefit from a
little exercise as they move their thumbs on the remote to switch channels.

If they permanently shut down the NHL it may have a benefit on cross country
skiing in Canada as young people who might otherwise be influenced to
concentrate on hockey may decide to take up other sports.

Now if they could just get rid of the rest of the pro sports like
basketball, baseball and football there might be a lot more good young
athletes involved in sports like cross country.

Scott

"Janne G" wrote in
message ...

Old February 18th 05, 06:18 AM

I recall a poster showing smoking bike riders from the 50s (?)- so
what?

At any rate - hockey is not an endurance sport, but it helps a lot
technique-wise when learning how to ski skate - my scenario, at least.

Old February 18th 05, 12:28 PM

Scott Elliot wrote:
As far as I can tell the only people (other than NHL players) who

will be
effected by the loss of the NHL season will be people who have

nothing
better to do with their time than sit around watching grown men play.

People who just sit in front of the TV and watch NHL may benefit from

little exercise as they move their thumbs on the remote to switch

channels.

Hey Scott! I could understand your comments if you were from the USA
but ripping hockey as a Canadian! Well... I understand they're starting
deportation hearings for you right now. You can't move to Minnesota,
Wisconsin, Michigan, Massachusetts or Vermont either. They're all
hockey hotbeds...

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
p.s. to many of the right people have been showing up lately...

Old February 18th 05, 02:27 PM
cpella

It's actually a common sentiment up here. As Ken Dryden , now a federal
government minister and ex Hab great explained recently, we are finding
that hockey has become more of a habit than a passion. The passion has
died a death of a thousand clutches and grabs and neutral zone traps.
The real death knell for me was watching the Salt Lake Olympics
tournament played under international rules and rink sizes. I realized
then how bad the NHL brand had become, aside from the obtuse expansion
into non-hockey markets to try and grab TV revenues. Good riddance to
it. Long-live shinny played on outdoor rinks and ponds.

Old February 18th 05, 02:34 PM
Tim Dudley

The effect may have already started to trickle down to the media. There's a
half page article today in the Montreal Gazette on the CSM, with a 4-column
photo accompanying it.

Hopefully, when the media (particularly in Canada) stops fixating on the
NHL, they may realize that there are other sports going on that are way more
interesting to the vast majority of people. One can hope...

Tim