Which weight training, or exercise, helps the muscles that flexes the legs?

Old August 15th 03, 04:59 AM
DJ Kim

Default Which weight training, or exercise, helps the muscles that flexes the legs?

Although I do spinning, weight lifting, cycling during off-season in
preparation of the upcoming ski season, I noticed that those exercises
do not actually help the muscle that is extensively used in skiing -
the one that flexes the legs. I don't know the name.

Spinning, weight lifing, and cycling all help tone the leg muscles
that extend the legs not flex the legs.

Old August 15th 03, 10:58 AM
Aaron Daniel

Cycling / spinning is a great exercise for skiing since flexion and
extension of the legs are required. Skiing is not just about flexion or
extension of the legs it is about both - similar to cycling. Conditioning
wise it is also about balance, lateral leg motion, rotary leg motion and a
few others. I find rollerblading in a manner that mimics skiing to help as
much as cycling.

As far as weight training goes you don't mention the exercises you are
doing. Most routines will include squats and leg presses as well as leg
extensions, leg curls and calf raises. I add to those exercises lunges,
straight leg dead lifts, shin flexion, leg abduction, leg adduction and
balance drills to get more skiing specific. Shin flexion is a bit difficult
to understand. I use a leg press machine or a donkey calf raise machine. I
put my heels instead of my toes on the platform then alternately flex and
extend the muscles in my shin. This provides balance to calf muscle
development in the same way hamstring development balances quadricep
development. Balance drills can be as simple as standing on one leg while
doing dumbell exercises to stability ball exercises, drills using cones or
other things.

Obviously all of the exercises mentioned above are not done in one workout.
I add one or two to each workout and get reasonable results.

Aar

om...

Old August 15th 03, 02:16 PM
scottabe

Default Chester Bullock, Lying Hypocrite

Chester Bullock was stupid enough to use his sig promoting his business,l
tenxible.com

I take this from his incompetent page

Backed by a strong code of ethics,

WHAT CODE OF ETHICS? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
The same code of ethics that has Chester Bullock hanging out with a bunch of
criminal terrorists on rsa?
Clue time.
If Chester Bullock had the ethics God gave a rock, he would have condemned
the death threats, the gross and vile lies, the stalking, the criminal acts
of his friends. Instead, he attacked the victims and skied with the
criminals.

Old August 15th 03, 07:00 PM
Sue

In message , DJ Kim
writes
Although I do spinning, weight lifting, cycling during off-season in
preparation of the upcoming ski season, I noticed that those exercises
do not actually help the muscle that is extensively used in skiing -
the one that flexes the legs. I don't know the name.

The one in the back of your thigh, that flexes the knee? It's
apparently called biceps (two-headed) or biceps femoris to distinguish
it from its better-known namesake in your arm.

Which weight training, or exercise, helps the muscles that flexes the
legs?

Running gives it a good workout, especially if you change pace and
direction frequently (shuttle runs etc). So does any sport where you
dodge about, even tennis or badminton. Cross-country running is better
than flat ground or a machine.
Cyclists should also take some upright exercise to avoid spinal mobility
problems: I do regular sessions standing in the pub raising my wrist,
but that wasn't enough.
--
Sue ]
Old August 19th 03, 09:14 PM
Walt

DJ Kim wrote:

Although I do spinning, weight lifting, cycling during off-season in
preparation of the upcoming ski season, I noticed that those exercises
do not actually help the muscle that is extensively used in skiing -
the one that flexes the legs. I don't know the name.

Spinning, weight lifing, and cycling all help tone the leg muscles
that extend the legs not flex the legs.

Which weight training, or exercise, helps the muscles that flexes the
legs?

I'm not at all a fan of exercise machines (I'd rather be out doing
*something* than spinning discs and stretching bands on a machine in a
gym), but the Skiers Edge exercise machine seems to get at the skiing
muscles. A friend of mine bought one to rehab his broken tibia for the
ski season, and I had the chance to get in a couple of hours before the
start of the season. I was definitely less sore and better prepared for
the first few days of the season than usual.

See http://www.skiersedge.com/ . They're not cheap. (If you want
cheap, just get a shoebox and practice jumping back and forth across it
sideways with your legs together.)

One advantage of the Skier's Edge is that it doesn't depend on
electricity, so you can use it during a power failure. Unlike usenet...

--
//-Walt
//
Old August 20th 03, 07:09 AM
BrritSki

Walt wrote:

DJ Kim wrote:

Although I do spinning, weight lifting, cycling during off-season in
preparation of the upcoming ski season, I noticed that those exercises
do not actually help the muscle that is extensively used in skiing -
the one that flexes the legs. I don't know the name.

Spinning, weight lifing, and cycling all help tone the leg muscles
that extend the legs not flex the legs.

Which weight training, or exercise, helps the muscles that flexes the
legs?

I'm not at all a fan of exercise machines (I'd rather be out doing
*something* than spinning discs and stretching bands on a machine in a
gym), but the Skiers Edge exercise machine seems to get at the skiing
muscles.

Here's something I posted a couple of years back - I still love this
machine for ski fitness:

The exercise that I think is best for it is on what I think is called
the Rotary Hip machine at my gym.

You stand on a variable height platform facing a large wheel. There's an
arm on this with a padded handle and you can adjust the position of the
arm out of the vertical. I set it at the 4 o'clock position and then do
4 exercises on it:

1. Facing the wheel with the handle outside and just above the left
knee, lift the leg straight out to the side as high as you can go,
slowly and in control (that applies to all these moves). Keep the
supporting knee slightly flexed, not locked out (again for all these
moves) and only use the handrails to steady yourself, don't pull on them
or use them to balance, that way you work the supporting knee's muscles
as well as the big muscle you're exercising.
Repeat 12-15 times, adjust weight so this is about the most you can do
comfortably, not too heavy so you have to jerk the moves, do them slowly
and in control both on the way up and back down again.
Again for all moves, adjust the height of the platform, and stand so
that an imaginary line extending from the wheel's axle passes thru the
rotation point of the hip. Adjust the handle for your height.

2. Handle inside and above right knee, cross right leg in front of left
and squeeze it as high as you can. Gentlemen adjust your jockeys BEFORE
attempting this. Again 12-15 reps.

3. Face to right, handle behind and above left knee, push the leg out
straight and behind. This exercises the butt, not the hamstring. 12-15
reps.

4. Face to the left with the handle just above the right knee. 12-15
slow knee lifts.

Move the handle to the 8-oclock position and repeat all the above in the
reverse order on the opposite leg so that you always switch to the other
leg after each exercise.

Hope this helps

Cheers Roger

Old August 20th 03, 01:38 PM
Ron N.Y

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=25

Amongst other things I use a balance board . They are cheap and give you leg strength but more importantly they give you
balance and coordination . If you modify the way you use it you will find many different ways to work out on it . I have no
vested interest in them other than thinking they are great and fun to use . I actually got turned onto it from this newsgroup
asking a similar question .
Ron

Old August 21st 03, 06:02 AM
mwfrisco

"Ron N.Y" wrote:
Amongst other things I use a balance board . They are cheap and give you leg strength but more importantly they give you
balance and coordination . If you modify the way you use it you will find many different ways to work out on it.

I agree with this post.

JP
Do squats on 'em.