Gloves

Old December 24th 09, 07:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

Default Gloves

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 19:11:58 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:37:28 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

The only downsides seem to be they're not Goretex, which I've always
had so far, plus apparant lack of availability in the UK.

TBH in really cold weather you have absolutely no need for goretex.
There won't be any moisture on the outside and your hands won't be
sweating either. I don't currently own any serious cold gloves, but I
wouldn't be bothered about waterproofness if I only wanted them for
-15C conditions.

Fair point.

If I decide to go for Swanys then I
might wait until we're in BC (for the month, next September) and find
a Canadian stockist.

I see that they're sponsoring a few freeride skiers here in CH, and
that they have a manufacturing plant here too
http://www.swanyeurope.com/ but I can't find a list of retailers. I'd
be happy to pick some up for you if you can find a shop.

Cheers. But what a dreadfull site! I might get in touch with them
anyway and see who stocks what.

--
Colin Irvine
Old December 25th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

wrote:

If I decide to go for Swanys then I
might wait until we're in BC (for the month, next September) and find
a Canadian stockist.

I see that they're sponsoring a few freeride skiers here in CH, and
that they have a manufacturing plant here too
http://www.swanyeurope.com/ but I can't find a list of retailers. I'd
be happy to pick some up for you if you can find a shop.

Cheers. But what a dreadfull site!

Isn't it just. Took me quite a while to even find the main part by
hovering the pointer over the left-hand part of the screen. Talk about
counter-intuitive. And so little info too.

I might get in touch with them anyway and see who stocks what.

I'll keep my eye open too.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old December 30th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

I tend to prefer Black Diamond ice climbing mitts or gloves.
The longer the gauntlet the better. I accidently left my pair on the
train at Pontresina just before the higher Bernina opened up. A very
attactive young red haired conductor was both the distraction and savior
and I got them back later mid-afternoon.

Most gloves and mitts have too short a gauntlet.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old December 31st 09, 07:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:51:50 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

The UK wholesaler tells me that they didn't import any Swanys this
year because the poor Euro exchange rate made them too expensive.
There are some to be had, but not in my size. I think Canada remains
my best bet.

Did you try emailing to see who else stocked
them? A quick search shows just one retailer in Verbier with that
specific model,
http://www.google.ch/search?hl=en&q=...tryCH&aq=f&oq=

but it's more expensive than the US price, so if you can be confident
of the size you might as well just mail-order it from the US.

Old December 31st 09, 08:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:51:38 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

wrote:

The UK wholesaler tells me that they didn't import any Swanys this
year because the poor Euro exchange rate made them too expensive.
There are some to be had, but not in my size. I think Canada remains
my best bet.

Did you try emailing to see who else stocked
them? A quick search shows just one retailer in Verbier with that
specific model,
http://www.google.ch/search?hl=en&q=...tryCH&aq=f&oq=

Useful, ta - I'm missing a search from Switzerland button!

but it's more expensive than the US price, so if you can be confident
of the size you might as well just mail-order it from the US.

I see what you mean - there's a big difference in price. I think I'll
look for some more detail on Canadian prices, where if I'm patient I
can see them before buying - which I'm more inclined to do now, given
how expensive the better ones are.

--
Colin Irvine
Old December 31st 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:57:20 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:51:38 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

http://www.google.ch/search?hl=en&q=...tryCH&aq=f&oq=

Useful, ta - I'm missing a search from Switzerland button!

Just add this bit &meta=cr%3DcountryCH onto the URL

but it's more expensive than the US price, so if you can be confident
of the size you might as well just mail-order it from the US.

I see what you mean - there's a big difference in price. I think I'll
look for some more detail on Canadian prices, where if I'm patient I
can see them before buying - which I'm more inclined to do now, given
how expensive the better ones are.

Indeed. I'd never buy gloves without trying them on first, as there's
a large variation in both size and shape - some gloves just don't feel
right, others immediately fit like a... well, like a glove.

Old January 1st 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:35:02 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

Colin Irvine wrote:

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest? Ideally tryable-on in the UK, but I'd settle for mail
order XLs.

I used Columbia for years. Very good.

I shall have a look, ta.

Or you could just use thermal
undergloves as well?

I've already got silk undergloves, but they don't seem to make a lot
of difference.

I bought some under armor liners made of neoprene or some such stretchy
material and they proved really good in Canada last year. They are a fair
bit thicker than silk gloves and also have grips on the palms so can be used
a standalone gloves when it's a bit warmer.

--
Paul S

Old January 6th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ollie Clark

Colin Irvine wrote:
I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

That doesn't sound too bad. I've been in -33 in Val Thorens with some
old Goretex gloves and was fine.

I did have silk under gloves on though which I find make a huge
difference. Perhaps try those before you shell out for a new pair of
mitts.

Also, make sure the rest of your body is kept warm. If your core
temperature starts to drop, blood is diverted out of your feet and
hands to the core so no matter how good your gloves or mitts are
your hands will still be cold.

Cheers,

Ollie

gloves Paul Kelly European Ski Resorts 1 February 6th 08 01:26 PM
Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves [email protected] Nordic Skiing 8 May 1st 07 02:03 PM
Gloves for wet riding [email protected] Snowboarding 15 January 7th 06 09:57 PM
FA: Columbia men's ski pants, Nike ACG gloves, Kombi Weatherguard gloves [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 23rd 05 05:34 AM
Got my Marmot ski gloves Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing (moderated) 5 November 12th 04 03:53 AM