Accident

Old February 12th 06, 04:42 AM

Default Accident

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/...17/0/FRONTPAGE
Old February 12th 06, 01:29 PM

Sad, very sad, My heart goes out to her family and friends.

It is an object lesson though. To quote the code: "Always use devices to
help prevent runaway equipment"

--
I ski, therefore I am
"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. com...
http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/...17/0/FRONTPAGE

Old February 12th 06, 01:44 PM

PS the body count here on the east side is at 5 and counting. Here is an
article about the latest.

http://www.mammothlocal.com/news/ano...t_ski_area.php

--
I ski, therefore I am
"Wayne Decker" wrote in message
Sad, very sad, My heart goes out to her family and friends.

It is an object lesson though. To quote the code: "Always use devices to
help prevent runaway equipment"

--
I ski, therefore I am
"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. com...
http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/...17/0/FRONTPAGE

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 12th 06, 03:36 PM

Wayne Decker wrote:

Sad, very sad, My heart goes out to her family and friends.

It is an object lesson though. To quote the code: "Always use devices to
help prevent runaway equipment"

There is no "device to prevent runaway equipment" that will allow you to
carry a snowboard. Snowboard leashes are maybe a foot long at most.

Old February 12th 06, 08:08 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

Wayne Decker wrote:

Sad, very sad, My heart goes out to her family and friends.

It is an object lesson though. To quote the code: "Always use devices
to help prevent runaway equipment"

There is no "device to prevent runaway equipment" that will allow you to
carry a snowboard. Snowboard leashes are maybe a foot long at most.

I was wondering. Sounds like a potential market for an entrepreneur with
the right sales pitch.
Old February 12th 06, 08:15 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

Wayne Decker wrote:

Sad, very sad, My heart goes out to her family and friends.

It is an object lesson though. To quote the code: "Always use
devices to help prevent runaway equipment"

There is no "device to prevent runaway equipment" that will allow you
to carry a snowboard. Snowboard leashes are maybe a foot long at most.

I was wondering. Sounds like a potential market for an entrepreneur with
the right sales pitch.

Actually there exists a really neat snowboard leash which
would have solved the problem.

It's a coiled cable, like the cell phone charger in your
car. This it to keep it out of the way when in use.

It's attached to the board at the front binding so that
it doesn't interfere when you keep the board on when
getting on a lift, but unsnap from the rear binding.

It's attached to your leg just below the knee via a velcro
strap that goes around your leg, so that you can leave
it attached to yourself when you are unsnapped from both
bindings and carrying your board.

The dudes who walk up the halfpipe use this type of
restraint (if they use anything at all, most don't)

The technology is there, the population just has to be
convinced that it works and it solves a problem.

VtSkier
Old February 12th 06, 08:24 PM

VtSkier wrote:

The technology is there, the population just has to be
convinced that it works and it solves a problem.

Well, something like one of their own getting killed is unlikely to
convince anyone. How about maybe promoting the idea that it keeps your
lowrider pants from falling off completely?

(You getting any freshies from this weather pattern? Yahoo news had an
interesting headline couple of days ago - something like: "Traffic
Snarled on East Coast in Anticipation of Storm.")
Old February 12th 06, 09:05 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

The technology is there, the population just has to be
convinced that it works and it solves a problem.

Well, something like one of their own getting killed is unlikely to
convince anyone. How about maybe promoting the idea that it keeps your
lowrider pants from falling off completely?

(You getting any freshies from this weather pattern? Yahoo news had an
interesting headline couple of days ago - something like: "Traffic
Snarled on East Coast in Anticipation of Storm.")

My wife came up from Boston last night to southwestern NH where
my daughter lives and I drove down from here. There was nothing
happening anywhere last evening. Nothing was happening at 4AM
when I got up to pee. There was 3 inches of snow on the truck
at 8 AM when we got up for eggs benedict.

When we got home here about 3PM, there was barely 1/2" on
the ground.

As for east coast traffic being snarled. Boston driver snarl
at 1/2" and I think they got a foot and a half. Total
disaster as far as they are concerned. However, they got
enough snow to make them think about skiing instead of golf.
This, like the furry little beast seeing his shadow guarantees
8 more weeks of winter. Or rather 8 more weeks of ski season
because it will honk up the city folks to come up and ski our
man-mad EasternFirm(tm).

Speaking of which, Killington has a policy of using less air
in their snow-making operations. This has the tendency to
create slurpies instead of snow. They now lay this down in
huge whales, let the water drain out and then spread the
whales with groomers. Covers the mountain and, if brass is
correct, costs less to do so. Apparently compressing air is
the most costly part of the operation. Even more than the
diesel fuel for the groomers.

It was so much better when policy was to re-surface the
slopes using the best they could make and spread it
evenly. It was even fun to ski under guns when they were
doing it this way. Not any more.
Old February 12th 06, 10:01 PM

lal_truckee wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Wayne Decker wrote:

Sad, very sad, My heart goes out to her family and friends.

It is an object lesson though. To quote the code: "Always use
devices to help prevent runaway equipment"

There is no "device to prevent runaway equipment" that will allow you
to carry a snowboard. Snowboard leashes are maybe a foot long at most.

I was wondering. Sounds like a potential market for an entrepreneur with
the right sales pitch.

First you gotta design it, though. A snowboard leash has one end
attached to the binding. The other end either ends in a clip that clips
onto a ring that's on a bootlace, or wraps around the ankle. You'd have
to have something that could extend somehow, or would wrap around a
wrist or something, maybe.

Old February 12th 06, 10:58 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

I was wondering. Sounds like a potential market for an entrepreneur
with the right sales pitch.

First you gotta design it, though. A snowboard leash has one end
attached to the binding. The other end either ends in a clip that clips
onto a ring that's on a bootlace, or wraps around the ankle. You'd have
to have something that could extend somehow, or would wrap around a
wrist or something, maybe.

VtSkier pointed out one product, up thread; which reminded me of the
righting rope on my sailboard mast - outer flexible cylinder is the
strain "rope" and inner bungee compresses the whole thing so it's out of
the way normally - something like that would probably work as well.
Still, the real trick is getting them to use it.

(P.S. My spell checker wants to replace "Malmros" with "Primrosed."
Apropos or No?)