Wrist protection

Old December 30th 03, 11:22 AM
Bo Lind

Default Wrist protection

Hi,

What kind of wrist protection, if any, do y'all recommend? I'm quite the
newbie, having only a few days under my belt. There, I rode with a borrowed
pair of Rollerblade (rollerskates) wrist protectors. They were OK, but not
optimal, as it hurt when my hand got trapped between me and the slope, and
they were a bitch to get on and fit into the gloves.

TIA

Bo
Old December 30th 03, 11:46 AM
Christoph

hello,

i´m riding now for 6 or 7 years and i don´t like wrist protections and i do
not use them at all...

if you do not have one already, i would buy a helmet instead... i would say
this is the most important protection

have a nice day
chris

Old December 30th 03, 03:16 PM
Stephen

What kind of wrist protection, if any, do y'all recommend? I'm quite the
newbie, having only a few days under my belt. There, I rode with a

borrowed
pair of Rollerblade (rollerskates) wrist protectors. They were OK, but not
optimal, as it hurt when my hand got trapped between me and the slope, and
they were a bitch to get on and fit into the gloves.

Dakine makes a slim wristguard in different sizes that fits fairly well
under gloves. You can get them most places if you look carefully for them.
Pic: http://www.dakine.com/images/xlg/1500800_xlg.jpg

I've used them for a couple of years after finding that my wrists would
often be sore after a day on hardpack, even just from getting up repeatedly
after doing up my bindings. Now they don't really bother me. The guards are
a little inconvenient when putting on and taking off gloves but not as bad a
rollerblade ones I would imagine since they slip on and there's one strap.

Steve

Old December 30th 03, 03:47 PM
Baz

"Stephen" wrote in message
What kind of wrist protection, if any, do y'all recommend? I'm quite the
newbie, having only a few days under my belt. There, I rode with a

borrowed
pair of Rollerblade (rollerskates) wrist protectors. They were OK, but

not
optimal, as it hurt when my hand got trapped between me and the slope,

and
they were a bitch to get on and fit into the gloves.

Dakine makes a slim wristguard in different sizes that fits fairly well
under gloves. You can get them most places if you look carefully for them.
Pic: http://www.dakine.com/images/xlg/1500800_xlg.jpg

I got a pair of these in about '99, and can vouch for them.
I normally only use them on the first day (when I'm finding my feet), when
snow is very packed or conditions are slightly icy.

The guards are
a little inconvenient when putting on and taking off gloves but not as bad

rollerblade ones I would imagine since they slip on and there's one strap.

Depends on the gloves, I suppose. Absolutely fine with my gloves. Movement
is restricted, but, that has to happen!

Off to Banff on the 10th. Can't wait!

Baz

Old December 30th 03, 04:57 PM
Frazer Mountford

I've used them for a couple of years after finding that my wrists would
often be sore after a day on hardpack, even just from getting up

repeatedly
after doing up my bindings. Now they don't really bother me. The guards

are
a little inconvenient when putting on and taking off gloves but not as bad

rollerblade ones I would imagine since they slip on and there's one strap.

I have some Scott USA gloves with integrated guards, it gave me confidence
when i broke my wrist whilst snowboaring once

should have a helmet though, you can repair a broken wrist but not a broken
brain

Old December 30th 03, 06:42 PM
Bob

I've found that there are two types of wrist protection. There are
protectors that go over the glove and those that go under. I purchased
a pair that go under the glove last season because I had a sprained
wrist, but never used them. I'm sure you'll be able to find them at
any snowboard shop. They'll probably come in handy if you're a newbie.

However, I agree with the other post that a helmet is very important.
It will also give you more confidence as you start to ride at higher
speeds.
Old December 31st 03, 05:05 PM
Jason Watkins

What kind of wrist protection, if any, do y'all recommend? I'm quite the

One of my friends uses some salomon brand guards... no clue where he
got them, I didn't even know salomon made that kind of thing. They
seem to fit his mittens well.

Guards are a good idea, but you can _still_ break things wearing them.
The most important thing is to learn to not put those hands out when
you fall. I've gotten pretty good at this, but every once in a while I
still get it wrong. Something that worked for me when I was a beginner
falling all over the place was to keep my hands balled in a fist. It's
harder to put your palm out that way and snap something. I still fall
all over the place now, but at least I've got the good habits now :P.
Old December 31st 03, 05:19 PM
jaycb74

I teach people to ball their fists as well and practice like you are
carrying someting in your hand or even put the extra cord from the end of
your glove back into your palm if it is long enough. When you fall, the
last thing you want to do is put out your hands...bad things happen.
om...

Old January 1st 04, 10:42 PM
Rob.

"Bo Lind" wrote in message
Hi,

What kind of wrist protection, if any, do y'all recommend? I'm quite the
newbie, having only a few days under my belt. There, I rode with a

borrowed
pair of Rollerblade (rollerskates) wrist protectors. They were OK, but not
optimal, as it hurt when my hand got trapped between me and the slope, and
they were a bitch to get on and fit into the gloves.

TIA

Bo

Rollerblade guards are ok but you have to have oversize mitts. Actually
that's not a bad idea anyway as it usually keeps you hands warmer. I usually
use bauer wrist guards and I've fallen on them hard enough to leave a bruise
on my hand but I've never had a sprain or anything worse. I don't care what
people say, falls happen when you least expect it and relying on remembering
to clench your fist or any other technique sounds like asking for trouble to
me. I know several people who have broken their wrists in the first few days
and none of them were wearing wrist guards.

Rob.