rsre duplication

Old October 28th 03, 09:00 AM
Ali Hopkins

Default rsre duplication

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
newsan.2003.10.28.09.11.50.229075@btinterSpamles snet.com...
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:41:57 +0000, Ali Hopkins wrote:

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Sorry, you've lost me on that one.

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a

man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I

am
sure they must exist.

Ali

Look at your sig.
--

I do not *have* a sig. I do not use a sig. I do not want a sig.

Ali is my *name*. And I am female.

Good grief.

Ali

Old October 28th 03, 09:27 AM
MoonMan

In , Steve Firth typed:
Colin Irvine wrote:

I must in turn admire your honesty in owning up to
having made such a crass remark in the first place.

There is nothing crass in considering a grown adult who shells out a
fortune to slide down a hill to be a retard. As for apres ski, oh
please, fat white office bound men and ugly women lounging around in
pink and turquoise shell suits while the locals like me and my friends
pocket their cash and laugh at them behind their backs.

ever heard of Ratner, or geese with golden eggs? you're not just crass,
childish and predujiced you're stupid too.

please let us know what your hobbies are or how you stay fit, so we can
learn how "adults" should behave.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 28th 03, 05:18 PM
Colin Irvine

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:06:58 -0000, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

Hey, there's more female ones; my maiden name was McIntosh! Alison,
rather than Alastair, however. Serious point though; if in doubt, why assume
the poster is male?

I wasn't in doubt. The only "Ali"s I know of are Aly Bain, Ally Maccoist
and Ali Ross. [1]

I use a gender neutral style of writing if I cannot be
sure of the poster's gender.

Serious question for you - what is the correct title for a woman if you
don't know whether or not she's married? Married women are offended by
Miss, single women are offended by Mrs and nearly eveyone seems to
dislike Ms.

[1] Oh all right - this morning I remembered Ali McGraw!

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 28th 03, 05:20 PM
Colin Irvine

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:27:55 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

In , Steve Firth typed:
Colin Irvine wrote:

I must in turn admire your honesty in owning up to
having made such a crass remark in the first place.

There is nothing crass in considering a grown adult who shells out a
fortune to slide down a hill to be a retard. As for apres ski, oh
please, fat white office bound men and ugly women lounging around in
pink and turquoise shell suits while the locals like me and my friends
pocket their cash and laugh at them behind their backs.

ever heard of Ratner, or geese with golden eggs? you're not just crass,
childish and predujiced you're stupid too.

Overkill. His last post made your point far better than you ever could!

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 28th 03, 05:24 PM
Colin Irvine

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:24:01 +0000, Molly Mockford
wrote:

In article at 22:41:57 on
Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Ali Hopkins wrote:

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
. ..

Me too. I can and I do. Sorry Molly.

Accepted.

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Not much use giving those away. Try offering around some "-- "s
instead.

Giving my post a blank look, eh?

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 28th 03, 05:29 PM
Colin Irvine

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:12:47 -0000, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
.. .
It's a sig separator.

Normally newsreaders are set up to put between the last line of actual
posting and the start of whatever signature the poster is appending.

then any decent newsreader, when responding, will automatically strip
anything after that line.

Ah, that's why he lost me then. I was well aware of the use of a .sig
separator, but as I don't use a .sig, could not see what he was getting at.

As others have said, it should be "-- ". Unfortunately, Outlook Express
assumes the last " " is a mistake and strips it out, so it wouldn't work
even if you started using it. There is a work-around, but it's not
simple.

Treat yourself to Forte Agent or Gravity!

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 28th 03, 05:40 PM
kat

Colin Irvine said

As others have said, it should be "-- ". Unfortunately, Outlook
Express assumes the last " " is a mistake and strips it out, so it
wouldn't work even if you started using it. There is a work-around,
but it's not simple.

There's always Quotefix. Sorts it out a treat.

--
kat
^..^

Old October 28th 03, 06:59 PM
Ali Hopkins

wrote:

Hey, there's more female ones; my maiden name was McIntosh! Alison,
rather than Alastair, however. Serious point though; if in doubt, why

assume
the poster is male?

I wasn't in doubt. The only "Ali"s I know of are Aly Bain, Ally Maccoist
and Ali Ross. [1]

grin It's all down to experience, isn't it!

I use a gender neutral style of writing if I cannot be
sure of the poster's gender.

Serious question for you - what is the correct title for a woman if you
don't know whether or not she's married? Married women are offended by
Miss, single women are offended by Mrs and nearly everyone seems to
dislike Ms.

Oof. Now there's a question you can spend days worrying about. When I was
in my teens and twenties, Ms. was favoured because it was seen as sexist to
judge a person by marital status - quite rightly, too, in the context of
those times. I do think it's a clumsy word, though, and it's terribly
difficult to choose Miss or Mrs. I am not offended by Miss, but I know what
you mean.

Much easier in Spain, where the differential between Senora and Senorita is
one of age and dignity; Senora is used as a term of respect, rather like
Mrs. was for cooks in great Edwardian houses! I think I'd stick to "er....
um".

If in doubt, just use firstname surname?

[1] Oh all right - this morning I remembered Ali McGraw!

Ah, an American who could spell.

Ali

Old October 28th 03, 07:00 PM
Ali Hopkins

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message

As others have said, it should be "-- ". Unfortunately, Outlook Express
assumes the last " " is a mistake and strips it out, so it wouldn't work
even if you started using it. There is a work-around, but it's not
simple.

Treat yourself to Forte Agent or Gravity!

If ever I decide to use a sig, I might.

Ali

Old October 28th 03, 11:09 PM
Alex Heney

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:00:51 -0000, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
.. .

As others have said, it should be "-- ". Unfortunately, Outlook Express
assumes the last " " is a mistake and strips it out, so it wouldn't work
even if you started using it. There is a work-around, but it's not
simple.

Treat yourself to Forte Agent or Gravity!

If ever I decide to use a sig, I might.

Ali

Even just putting your name is really a sig.

If you had put "-- " on the line before it, then that line would not
have appeared in my response. Of course I could (and normally would)
snip it manually.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Oxymoron: Team of Independents.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom