toddler equipment?

Old July 18th 03, 03:10 AM
lal_truckee

F. Plant wrote:
For toddler, is it any advantage to get shaped ski, or just stick with a
used straight ski until they are a bit older and have better coordination?

My main problem with toddler equipment was finding boots small enough to
stay on. When The Boy was one year old, everytime I'd pick him up the
boots and skis stayed behind on the snow. When The Boy was two, The
Boy'd kick his boots and skis off while riding the lift just for the
thrill of me skiing down to the boots carrying him fireman style. At
three the boots and skis would only come off together in a good crash.
At four The Boy joined the ski development squad, and by five the boots
were finally tight enough that he spiraled his tibia on a too-big jump
landed wrong.

Anyway, back to the question - straight is fine - at a young/beginner
age he'll be in a wedge like as not. As soon as he starts looking like
he wants to parallel look around for something with a decent shape and
soft flex. BTW the soft flex is more important than the shape.

Old July 18th 03, 04:55 AM
F. Plant

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
My main problem with toddler equipment was finding boots small enough to
stay on. When The Boy was one year old, everytime I'd pick him up the
boots and skis stayed behind on the snow. When The Boy was two, The
Boy'd kick his boots and skis off while riding the lift just for the
thrill of me skiing down to the boots carrying him fireman style. At
three the boots and skis would only come off together in a good crash.
At four The Boy joined the ski development squad, and by five the boots
were finally tight enough that he spiraled his tibia on a too-big jump
landed wrong.

Anyway, back to the question - straight is fine - at a young/beginner
age he'll be in a wedge like as not. As soon as he starts looking like
he wants to parallel look around for something with a decent shape and
soft flex. BTW the soft flex is more important than the shape.

Thanks for the ski advice. Regarding the boots I've been told Alpina is the
smallest fitting boot for toddlers and its quite soft as well.

Old July 18th 03, 06:24 PM
lal_truckee

Default toddler equipment?

F. Plant wrote:

Thanks for the ski advice. Regarding the boots I've been told Alpina is the
smallest fitting boot for toddlers and its quite soft as well.

I don't know where you are, but in the States finding toddler size boots
from any brand name is a problem - not much choice available. I'm
told that in Europe starting kids skiing as toddlers is much more
common, so many toddler size boot brands are available. Here, you pretty
much take what you can find for the very smallest feet. Good luck.

BTW, if you do get your kid skiing well while still young, be sure to
tell the kid what to do when he gets lost, which he will (i.e. stay put,
wait for help, ask lifties or patrol for help, etc.) Once kids get
going, they separate really fast. Turn your back for a second and
they're gone. Ski areas are actually really safe, compared to urban
environments - probably safer than at home, where he can fall in the
toilet and drown, or something, but you do have to round them up at the
end of the day ...

Also teach him about holing up in tree wells or under low hanging
branches, etc, if night sets and he's still lost. It's never too young
to start learning backcountry skills, kids think it's really neat, and
you never know ...

Old August 13th 03, 11:40 AM
Yort

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:24:28 CST, lal_truckee
wrote:

Also teach him about holing up in tree wells or under low hanging
branches, etc, if night sets and he's still lost.

.....but leave some BIG attention getting marks outside the shelter so
that he can be found.

Yort

What are these equipment for? Peter Steppe Nordic Skiing 5 January 8th 05 02:23 AM
What are these equipment for? Peter Steppe Alpine Skiing 0 January 5th 05 09:27 PM
New old equipment Greg Alpine Skiing 7 December 8th 04 09:54 PM
Equipment advice? D B Alpine Skiing 1 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
SKI EQUIPMENT HIRE - Advice greatly appreciated Djuro European Ski Resorts 11 November 21st 03 09:41 AM