Socks for skiing

Old October 14th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

Default Socks for skiing

What material is good for skiing?

I have used cotton, and have numerious problems.

1) when wet, they are cold

2) if I get snow on them, the snow collects at my ankles.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Micheal

Old October 14th 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Non cotton - and not just your socks. There are a lot of choices.
Craft (warm) and Smartwool (warmer) are deservedly popular and widely
available. Both also have padding on bottom. Start Crew weight to get
feel for warmth before going thicker for 1-3 hr ski outings, and
thicker (mid or heavy) for colder days and longer skis.

Old October 14th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Micheal Artindale writes:

Micheal What material is good for skiing?
Micheal I have used cotton, and have numerious problems.

Micheal 1) when wet, they are cold

Cotton is bad for all sports.

I wear coolmax inner socks, with smart wool running socks outside.
I only get cold feed in below zero F, on a very long downhill in deep
snow (where the powder forms a bow wave over my boots).

Micheal 2) if I get snow on them, the snow collects at my ankles.

Micheal Any suggestion?

Micheal Thanks,

Micheal Micheal

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)
Old October 15th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

Wool, or wool blends make my feet sweat excessively.

other suggestions?

Thanks

Micheal

Old October 15th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Visit a ski shop or sporting goods outlet to see the choices. But
first, how about some details for exactly what kinds of skiing? Have
you actually tried the lightweight Smartwool, or was it the common
relativelyh thick all-wool socks?. Craft is not wool. Have you tried
them (check their clearance link)?

"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

Wool, or wool blends make my feet sweat excessively.

other suggestions?

Thanks

Micheal

. ..

Old October 15th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

wrote in message
Visit a ski shop or sporting goods outlet to see the choices. But
first, how about some details for exactly what kinds of skiing? Have
you actually tried the lightweight Smartwool, or was it the common
relativelyh thick all-wool socks?. Craft is not wool. Have you tried
them (check their clearance link)?

I will be visiting an outdoor store within the next week.

I skii a mix of groomed trails and bush, making my own path. I do not go out
in temps below -25C.

I have used all wool socks. I looked for the brands listed, and then went to
websites that sold them. They all have wool in them. I have worn other socks
with wool in them, with other materials, and my feet sweat too much.

Thanks,

Micheal

"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

Wool, or wool blends make my feet sweat excessively.

other suggestions?

Thanks

Micheal

.. .

Old October 15th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

You didn't answer the question about what types of wool.

If you're going to be posting questions, at least have the decency
to carefully consider the answers put forth.

Old October 15th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
You didn't answer the question about what types of wool.

If you're going to be posting questions, at least have the decency
to carefully consider the answers put forth.

I did not know there are different types of wool.

As for blends, I do not remember.

Micheal

Old October 16th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

If you want help, then we do need you to give us enough information to
figure out specifically what you're asking about, your need is.
Likewise, if you're given some brand names and models, instead of
dismissing them out of hand, why not look them up. You are asking
because you want more info than you have, right? You can always come
back with more questions.

"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

roups.com...

Old October 16th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Oct 13, 9:59 pm, "Micheal Artindale"
wrote:
What material is good for skiing?

I have used cotton, and have numerious problems.

1) when wet, they are cold

2) if I get snow on them, the snow collects at my ankles.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Micheal

Dear Michael

If good wool doesn't agree with your feet, Wigwam makes a nice
synthetic alternative called Ultimax. Eagle River Nordic carries
them, though the model name may have been changed with a sock
upgrade. Ask 'em

Put your tights over your socks or use gaiters to keep the snow out.
Sounds like you're into back country or ungroomed trail skiing.

Randy

Tight socks z? Snowboarding 4 March 22nd 07 06:03 PM
Profil or Pilot bindings; Race Skate 9 and Carbon Pro boot fit; Best sources for V2 105 SR; Type of socks; Leg brake; Poles [email protected] Nordic Skiing 19 May 17th 06 11:16 AM
Socks - wool , smart wool , or synthetic ? Ron - NY Alpine Skiing 11 March 15th 05 02:46 PM
Socks for alpine skiing Matt Alpine Skiing (moderated) 24 February 22nd 04 10:11 PM
skiing without socks? Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 4 February 4th 04 10:14 AM