Alps this year

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 16th 13, 08:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default Alps this year

I think I can safely say that snow isn't a problem in the Alps this year,
certainly not in Flaine.

I also /need/ some all-mountain skis and another week's off-piste training.

I tried hiring a pair of older Scott Crusade skis for a day - surprisingly
light and even carved a quite well on piste, albeit in near-perfect snow.

I also later tried a pair of Dynastar Cham-87 skis: I was suspicious of the
discreet "Rocker technology" logo, but they were fine in fluffy powder (and
there was a lot of that around), on red-run bumps and scraped-hard red home
runs, and they carved well, maybe better than the Scotts.

Trouble is, I was finding my powder legs afer 3-4 years of mostly on-piste
skiing using carving skis, and despite a week's off-piste traning several
years ago, I'm not that experienced, so the subjective feel of the skis might
have changed over the week and it's probably not a fair comparison. I really
liked the Scotts - a revelation in powder after my own skis, but the Dynastars
might be the better all-rounder.

Doesn't it echo in here, now?
--

Pip

Done driving to the Alps Pip Luscher European Ski Resorts 4 April 12th 06 12:03 PM
UK - French Alps on TGV Roger European Ski Resorts 18 November 21st 04 06:04 PM
Work in the alps Fishstick European Ski Resorts 9 October 21st 04 11:37 AM
Alps by Coach Me European Ski Resorts 23 January 18th 04 03:06 PM
Kit Purchase: UK Vs The Alps Jon European Ski Resorts 12 August 26th 03 04:48 PM