OT - So this news server won't be free anymore...

Old February 15th 05, 05:59 PM
Chester Bullock

Default OT - So this news server won't be free anymore...

But E10 a year still seems reasonable. Domestic commercial news servers
are running about $15/ month I think. Anyone else know of a good,
free, reliable news server?
----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Old February 15th 05, 06:33 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-15, Chester Bullock penned:
But E10 a year still seems reasonable. Domestic commercial news servers
are running about $15/ month I think. Anyone else know of a good,
free, reliable news server?

Well, I get a decent news server for free through my ISP. I know that it's
not actually my ISP's server, though, but rather some third party's.

A quick search on google turns up this promising-looking service:
http://www.teranews.com/

I've heard good things about a particular server, but can't recall the exact
name. individ-something.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 15th 05, 06:41 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

A quick search on google turns up this promising-looking service:
http://www.teranews.com/

I'll take a look.

I've heard good things about a particular server, but can't recall the exact
name. individ-something.

That's the one that is not going to be free for much longer, and the one
a lot of us use.

----------------------
Chester

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

Old February 15th 05, 10:12 PM
The Real Bev

Chester Bullock wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

A quick search on google turns up this promising-looking service:
http://www.teranews.com/

I'll take a look.

I've heard good things about a particular server, but can't recall the exact
name. individ-something.

That's the one that is not going to be free for much longer, and the one
a lot of us use.

That sucks. Like giving out free dope the first year... Still,
$10/year (that's about right, isn't it?) isn't all that bad...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 15th 05, 10:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-15, The Real Bev penned:
Chester Bullock wrote:

That's the one that is not going to be free for much longer, and the one a
lot of us use.

That sucks. Like giving out free dope the first year... Still, $10/year
(that's about right, isn't it?) isn't all that bad...

I figure, if it's something worth having, it's something worth paying for. If
it's really $10 a year, I don't think that's such a big deal. After all, news
servers cost real money to providers.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 16th 05, 02:52 PM
Chuck

On 2005-02-15, The Real Bev penned:

Chester Bullock wrote:

That's the one that is not going to be free for much longer, and the one a
lot of us use.

That sucks. Like giving out free dope the first year... Still, $10/year
(that's about right, isn't it?) isn't all that bad...

I figure, if it's something worth having, it's something worth paying for. If
it's really $10 a year, I don't think that's such a big deal. After all, news
servers cost real money to providers.

So why did you pick it over a pay service in the first place?

Ternews - I used that a couple of years ago but I thought they started
charging too.

bubbanews - still free ( 50m/day). I'll probably switch to that. I
liked the fact that news.individual.net didn't carry binary NG's and
bubba does, but beggars can't be choosers.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 16th 05, 04:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-16, Chuck penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I figure, if it's something worth having, it's something worth paying for.
If it's really $10 a year, I don't think that's such a big deal. After
all, news servers cost real money to providers.

So why did you pick it over a pay service in the first place?

Huh? I never did use it. I use my ISP's news server.

I would use a free service if it met my needs, but I wouldn't be surprised if
they eventually started charging. At that point, I would have to decide if I
cared for the service enough to pay for it.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 16th 05, 05:50 PM
TexasSkiNut

Monique said:
I use my ISP's news server.

Or you could be like me and have an ISP with a crappy newsfeed and a
non-existant one at work. That leaves me using Google for usenet.
Then again, if I really cared about it, I'd upgrade my ISP...

Old February 16th 05, 06:01 PM
VtSkier

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Monique said:

I use my ISP's news server.

Or you could be like me and have an ISP with a crappy newsfeed and a
non-existant one at work. That leaves me using Google for usenet.
Then again, if I really cared about it, I'd upgrade my ISP...

Uhm, your news server can be independent of your ISP.
Go shopping, sign on and enjoy. This Google stuff for
USENET it a little ungainly at best.

Old February 16th 05, 06:13 PM
snoig

"VtSkier" wrote in message
TexasSkiNut wrote:
Monique said:

I use my ISP's news server.

Or you could be like me and have an ISP with a crappy newsfeed and a
non-existant one at work. That leaves me using Google for usenet.
Then again, if I really cared about it, I'd upgrade my ISP...

Uhm, your news server can be independent of your ISP.
Go shopping, sign on and enjoy. This Google stuff for
USENET it a little ungainly at best.

Well, here's a warning to those of you shopping around. I use giganews but
for some reason, they dropped rsa about six months ago. I've been using
individual.net since then.

snoig