Best value for money

Old October 3rd 04, 12:02 PM
howard.m

Default Best value for money

Hi

This winter(Early January) my wife and I are thinking of going to Canada
skiing - we are good intermediate skiers

Q1 Which is the best resort - value for money?
Q2 Should we go for a package or book flight, hotel etc ourselves?
Q3 should we take our own skis or hire?
Q4 Is 7 days a bit short or should we be looking at 10 days?

This may be the first of many postings so that we get it right!!

Many thanks

Howard Morgan

Old October 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
Dan Adcock

"howard.m" wrote in message ...
Hi

This winter(Early January) my wife and I are thinking of going to Canada
skiing - we are good intermediate skiers

Q1 Which is the best resort - value for money?
Q2 Should we go for a package or book flight, hotel etc ourselves?
Q3 should we take our own skis or hire?
Q4 Is 7 days a bit short or should we be looking at 10 days?

This may be the first of many postings so that we get it right!!

Many thanks

Howard Morgan

Howard: The best skiing in Canada is in British Columbia (BC) and
Alberta and the best resort is Whistler-Blackcomb
(www.whistlerblackcomb.com). The ski resorts in Banff (Sunshine
Village, Lake Louise, etc.) are also great. You will be able to find
other resorts in BC that are good and less expensive, but they do not
compare to Whistler-Blackcomb in size, vertical and variety of runs.
I've been able to find better deals by booking flights and lodging
separately. Sites like www.orbitz.com or www.expedia.com are good
places to start and comparison shop on airfare and lodging. However,
the resort's central reservations service and web site will give you a
better idea of all of your lodging options and prices (i.e.
www.whistlerblackcomb.com). On skis, it depends on what you have and
if you think hauling them is a problem. If your skis are more than a
few years old, you may want to leave them at home and rent the latest
demo skis. But you might consider taking your ski boots if you are
happy with them and their fit instead of attempting to find a good fit
in rental boots. As far as days, the more you can afford the better
(i.e. a bad day skiing is better than a good day at work!)! Also
consider if you need a few days to acclimate to the higher altitude
and get over your jet lag. Hope this helps. Dan
Old October 7th 04, 01:51 AM
GT

Where are you travelling from? If the West coast (BC & Alberta) is too far
then consider Mont Tremblant in Quebec, which is about 1.5 hours North of
Montreal. It's probably not the best value for the money, but it is rated
the best resort in the East.

-GT