Snowshoe Mountain

Old September 2nd 04, 07:46 PM
Martha

Default Snowshoe Mountain

Has anyone been to Snowshoe? Is the skiing as good as in the west?
Old September 4th 04, 02:23 AM
Dave W

No it is not nearly as good as the skiing in the west, but if you hit it
right and the "good" side of the mountain is open than it is well worth a
drive for a day or two.

It won't be long now.....

"Martha" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone been to Snowshoe? Is the skiing as good as in the west?

Old September 4th 04, 01:59 PM
Ernie

"Martha" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone been to Snowshoe? Is the skiing as good as in the west?

Martha,

Below is my Feb. 2004 reply to a question about Snowshoe.

"We were at Snowshoe on Thursday and Friday, Feb. 19 and 20. There were no
lines before 10:30 on either day, but by 11 on Friday the line on Ballhooter
lift was pretty long, around 2:30 probably 30 minutes. Unfortunately that
is the lift most people have take to get back to the parking lot, to get
lunch, or to the condos.

There are two ways you can avoid lift lines at Snowshoe:

ski/board at Silver Creek -- on the same ticket as Snowshoe, free, rather
haphazard, no-scheduled-times, bus transportation between the two
areas, about 4 miles distance

or

ski/board the Western Territory (black and double black runs) which does
not have the lift lines. But, the services (restrooms and food) are very
minimal on the Western Territory side, so you will have to use either the
bus or the crowded Ballhooter lift.

The Western Territory is by far the best terrain area -- west of the
Pocono's
and east of Denver. In my opinion, Seven Springs has a far better layout
for convenience, but the 1500 feet vertical drop of the Western Territory is
the biggest in the area. If you enjoy ski/board the Western Territory's
two challenging slopes (Cupp Run is black and lower Shay's Revenge with
Volkswagen size moguls is an honest to goodness double-black) then I would
put up with the hassle of back-and-forth transportation. But, if black runs
are not for you, in my opinion, I would look for slopes with more convenient
arrangement and much shorter lift lines for the blue runs.

Regards,

Ernie"

Old September 6th 04, 03:05 PM
D Crane

its ok but not as good

Old October 4th 04, 01:10 AM
Dan Adcock

"Dave W" wrote in message ink.net...
No it is not nearly as good as the skiing in the west, but if you hit it
right and the "good" side of the mountain is open than it is well worth a
drive for a day or two.

It won't be long now.....

"Martha" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone been to Snowshoe? Is the skiing as good as in the west?

Snowshoe is about as good as it gets in WV and PA. For starters, they
actually get some real snow, but much of their pack is artificial.
However, ski resorts in New England are clearly superior in every
aspect and Snowshoe doesn't even come close to Western ski resorts.
But if you live in the Mid-Atlantic region and can't travel to
Colorado or Vermont, it's still skiing and worth the drive. But it
layout is one the weirdest I've seen! The base is on top of the
mountain and you end your day by riding up the chair lift instead of
skiing down.

Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Snowshoe Info. DCSkier Alpine Skiing 2 February 24th 04 10:34 PM
There goes the snow ... buh bye. J999w Nordic Skiing 12 December 30th 03 02:37 PM
Copper Mountain censors comments on their website Chester Bullock North American Ski Resorts 1 December 20th 03 08:54 PM
Park City Mountain Resort Opens November 14 User North American Ski Resorts 0 November 13th 03 08:20 PM