A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 17th 04, 12:13 AM
Gene Goldenfeld
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

From the Jenex website:
Marty Hall has got to love this: On Wednesday, April 14, Thomas
Alsgaard signed a contract with the Norwegian National Team. Krister
Soergard said Thomas will be working with us on technique, especially
freestyle. Krister said: "Thomas must have seen how our skiers struggled
last year especially with freestyle technique." So much for the new
Norwegian skating technique.
Ads
  #2  
Old April 18th 04, 04:25 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

I enjoy your needling a bit Gene, but maybe don't entirely agree.
We've been talking at times about "new skate technique", without
it ever being all that precisely defined. Also the technique tape
from the Trondheim WC's from 7 years ago (not terribly new!) have
sometimes come up in these conversations. But the phrase you use,
namely, "new Norwegian skating technique" I don't recall, but maybe
others have used it (Have I???) Anyway it will be fun to see how
the Norwegians do in the skate races next year. My very indirect
impression about Alsgaard is that he's a really "do your own thing"
kind of guy, not the typical coach's personality.

The actual skate results recently by the Norwegians are of course
way better than those of skiers coached by some of the names of
US coaches you've brought up, e.g. Marty Hall and Borowski, I suspect.
So are you judging the value of the technique on the basis of
the self-satisfaction it induces in skiers, rather than the actual
speed they get in races? The Norwegians are expressing a low level
of self-satisfaction, from that quote, but that's probably an
ominous sign for their competitors!

Best, Peter
  #3  
Old April 18th 04, 05:42 PM
Greg Fangel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

You're absolutely right, Peter about Alsgaard being a "do your own thing"
skier. He admitted that when we saw him here in the Twin Cities last fall.
In fact he said that the Norwegian coaches were quite upset with him, not
following their regime. It will be interesting to see how he does as a
coach.

Greg Fangel

wrote in message
...
I enjoy your needling a bit Gene, but maybe don't entirely agree.
We've been talking at times about "new skate technique", without
it ever being all that precisely defined. Also the technique tape
from the Trondheim WC's from 7 years ago (not terribly new!) have
sometimes come up in these conversations. But the phrase you use,
namely, "new Norwegian skating technique" I don't recall, but maybe
others have used it (Have I???) Anyway it will be fun to see how
the Norwegians do in the skate races next year. My very indirect
impression about Alsgaard is that he's a really "do your own thing"
kind of guy, not the typical coach's personality.

The actual skate results recently by the Norwegians are of course
way better than those of skiers coached by some of the names of
US coaches you've brought up, e.g. Marty Hall and Borowski, I suspect.
So are you judging the value of the technique on the basis of
the self-satisfaction it induces in skiers, rather than the actual
speed they get in races? The Norwegians are expressing a low level
of self-satisfaction, from that quote, but that's probably an
ominous sign for their competitors!

Best, Peter



  #4  
Old April 18th 04, 07:05 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

At the highest levels of sport, the role of a coach can be helping the
athlete find what works for him/her, not just imparting standardized
knowledge.

JT
  #5  
Old April 18th 04, 07:59 PM
Gene Goldenfeld
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

Earth to Peter...
That little paragraph was copied (and referenced) directly from the
Jenex website, written by Len Johnson. That was easily verifiable (a
little jumpy, eh?). While I also noted (to myself) Alsgaard's earlier
claim about being an independent sort, when it came to technique I
didn't entirely believe it. Whether he was or not, he had to have
learned a few things along the way that will be of great value to the
Norwegian team members.

Gene


wrote:

I enjoy your needling a bit Gene, but maybe don't entirely agree.
We've been talking at times about "new skate technique", without
it ever being all that precisely defined. Also the technique tape
from the Trondheim WC's from 7 years ago (not terribly new!) have
sometimes come up in these conversations. But the phrase you use,
namely, "new Norwegian skating technique" I don't recall, but maybe
others have used it (Have I???) Anyway it will be fun to see how
the Norwegians do in the skate races next year. My very indirect
impression about Alsgaard is that he's a really "do your own thing"
kind of guy, not the typical coach's personality.

The actual skate results recently by the Norwegians are of course
way better than those of skiers coached by some of the names of
US coaches you've brought up, e.g. Marty Hall and Borowski, I suspect.
So are you judging the value of the technique on the basis of
the self-satisfaction it induces in skiers, rather than the actual
speed they get in races? The Norwegians are expressing a low level
of self-satisfaction, from that quote, but that's probably an
ominous sign for their competitors!

Best, Peter

  #6  
Old April 19th 04, 03:37 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

OK, Gene, NEWSKATE has touched down, over and out (or whatever they say).
Sorry for assuming you were the author of the clever dig about "so
much for the new Norwegian skate technique"! I guess one shouldn't
even assume a quote with no accompanying comment implies tacit
agreement with the quote.

Best, Peter
  #7  
Old April 19th 04, 04:06 PM
Gene Goldenfeld
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

No, just an FYI about Alsgaard that wasn't worth rewriting. I don't
really know what Len was referring to.

wrote:

OK, Gene, NEWSKATE has touched down, over and out (or whatever they say).
Sorry for assuming you were the author of the clever dig about "so
much for the new Norwegian skate technique"! I guess one shouldn't
even assume a quote with no accompanying comment implies tacit
agreement with the quote.

Best, Peter

  #8  
Old April 20th 04, 06:37 AM
Anders Lustig
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

Gene Goldenfeld wrote in message ...

From the Jenex website:
Marty Hall has got to love this: On Wednesday, April 14, Thomas
Alsgaard signed a contract with the Norwegian National Team. Krister
Soergard said Thomas will be working with us on technique, especially
freestyle. Krister said: "Thomas must have seen how our skiers struggled
last year especially with freestyle technique." So much for the new
Norwegian skating technique.


Apropos of this: there has been some discussion about
the Norwegian skating situation in "Ski Sport": it´s
wondered how technique coaching could go wrong despite
having two great models around years ago; apparently
they were seen as too individual and the coaches wanted
to develop a more "textbook" technique without really
understanding thee free technique and how it´s still
eveolving.

(The biathletes had no such qualms about simply trying
to imitate as best as they could.)


http://www.skisport.no/pdffiles/friteknikk.pdf has a
sequence of photographs and an explanation why Alsgaard
was so great on hills _and_ after them - but I won´t
mangle it by translating...

The most recent issue has an article about the studies
done to compare "padling" and "dobbeltdans" on different
types of hills.


Anders
  #9  
Old April 20th 04, 01:38 PM
Gene Goldenfeld
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

Thanks! It's a long article, but it sure would be nice if someone in
the US translated it -- or at least the most relevant portions.

Gene

Anders Lustig wrote:

Gene Goldenfeld wrote in message ...

From the Jenex website:
Marty Hall has got to love this: On Wednesday, April 14, Thomas
Alsgaard signed a contract with the Norwegian National Team. Krister
Soergard said Thomas will be working with us on technique, especially
freestyle. Krister said: "Thomas must have seen how our skiers struggled
last year especially with freestyle technique." So much for the new
Norwegian skating technique.


Apropos of this: there has been some discussion about
the Norwegian skating situation in "Ski Sport": it´s
wondered how technique coaching could go wrong despite
having two great models around years ago; apparently
they were seen as too individual and the coaches wanted
to develop a more "textbook" technique without really
understanding thee free technique and how it´s still
eveolving.

(The biathletes had no such qualms about simply trying
to imitate as best as they could.)

http://www.skisport.no/pdffiles/friteknikk.pdf has a
sequence of photographs and an explanation why Alsgaard
was so great on hills _and_ after them - but I won´t
mangle it by translating...

The most recent issue has an article about the studies
done to compare "padling" and "dobbeltdans" on different
types of hills.

Anders

  #10  
Old April 21st 04, 08:04 PM
Terje Henriksen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)


"Greg Fangel" skrev i melding
news:[email protected]_s01...
You're absolutely right, Peter about Alsgaard being a "do your own thing"
skier. He admitted that when we saw him here in the Twin Cities last fall.
In fact he said that the Norwegian coaches were quite upset with him, not
following their regime. It will be interesting to see how he does as a
coach.


He will assist the head coach, his friend Krister Sørgaard from Kirkenes.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thomas Alsgaard comments on technique... SBull10152 Nordic Skiing 23 December 11th 03 02:11 PM
Thomas Alsgaard on Drugs SBull10152 Nordic Skiing 23 December 9th 03 09:49 AM
Thomas Alsgaard on training SBull10152 Nordic Skiing 0 December 3rd 03 04:21 AM
Comeback for Alsgaard - in biathlon!! Inger Skramstad Jørstad Nordic Skiing 24 November 18th 03 01:08 AM
Photo of Alsgaard wanted Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 8 October 23rd 03 02:05 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.