Best American Birkebeiner Wax Combinations

Old February 26th 04, 11:17 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Best American Birkebeiner Wax Combinations

Here's what I experienced and heard about the best Birkie wax jobs in
no particular order;

Swix FC7 over HF7 over LF7

Ski Go C44 over Swix HF7 over LF7

Star Eclipse 2

Swix Cera F 200 over HF7 over LF7

Swix Cera F 200 over Fastwax Salmon

Fastwax Flite over Fastwax Salmon

I didn't talk to anyone who used Toko, Rex or Solda.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old February 27th 04, 02:02 AM
Marsh Jones

Jay Tegeder wrote:
Here's what I experienced and heard about the best Birkie wax jobs in
no particular order;

Swix FC7 over HF7 over LF7

Ski Go C44 over Swix HF7 over LF7

Star Eclipse 2

Swix Cera F 200 over HF7 over LF7

Swix Cera F 200 over Fastwax Salmon

Fastwax Flite over Fastwax Salmon

I didn't talk to anyone who used Toko, Rex or Solda.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Cera FC1 over Fastwax Salmon worked pretty well, too.

Old February 27th 04, 10:13 AM
Trukweaz

I heard the Italians won on Solda covered by FC040.
Old February 27th 04, 01:43 PM

In article , Trukweaz wrote:
I heard the Italians won on Solda covered by FC040.

You MIGHT be right:

On fasterskier.com (Solda biased), Roberto De Zolt wrote:
The track was well prepared; we Italians had very goods skis prepared
with SOLDA F31 Violet and HP05.

But, Roger Knight (Swix biased) wrote:
4. Guess what the Italians had on their skis? They come talk to me
every year at the Birkie, partly because we usually have a guy with us
who can speak Italian, but partly because they use mostly Swix
powders. They actually used FC040 on their skis.

Who knows! Maybe they used F31 covered by HP05 covered by FC040 :-).

Brian
Old February 27th 04, 02:00 PM
Dave Kiely

I used Toko Helx Cold for the first time, over two coats of Fast Wax Salmon.
My skis seemed as fast or faster than most around me but not the fastest.
Too bad my endurance wasn't there to keep up with my skis.

As a side note I noticed in the results that I finished a second behind Jay
T, dropping me out of the elite wave after a one year run. Seemed like the
Elite Wave was stacked this year. In order to hold the wave you had to beat
close to 50 people from that wave and any wave 1 folks that came up. Tough
order for me with my training off this year.

Dave

m...

Old February 27th 04, 02:28 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Add from Zach: Star F1 over H2 over Map Black (over my Fastwax base
prep, Toko WL red and Toko LF Moly). Star EC2, interesting. Maybe I
could have saved the money.

In interview with de Zolt on TorbjornSport.com, he says: “The track was
well prepared; we Italians had very goods skis prepared with SOLDA F31
Violet and HP05”. The writer notes that de Zolt is part of Team TS, but
couldn't use its suit this year because the logo size restriction hadn't
been met.

Gene

Old February 27th 04, 06:07 PM
Mark

So I guess, maybe folks are actually realizing there is a LOT more
than just wax for fast skis. Read each of the big 3's (Toko, Swix,
Solda) post-Birkie write-ups, and it was amazing: EACH company had the
best wax jobs and fastest skiers on their boards. Pretty amazing, I
think, if you're into statistical analysis. Could it be that SKI FLEX
and STRUCTURING were the main variables of the day?

Kinda like the laundry detergent tests between new improved ALL, GAIN,
and ARM & HAMMER.

Mark

Old February 27th 04, 07:51 PM
Jay Tegeder

"Dave Kiely" wrote in message ...
I used Toko Helx Cold for the first time, over two coats of Fast Wax Salmon.
My skis seemed as fast or faster than most around me but not the fastest.

I did have the fastest skis of anyone around me... SkiGo C44 over HF7
over LF7.

As a side note I noticed in the results that I finished a second behind Jay
T, dropping me out of the elite wave after a one year run. Seemed like the
Elite Wave was stacked this year. In order to hold the wave you had to beat
close to 50 people from that wave and any wave 1 folks that came up.

I've been in the Elite Wave three times. I had numbers 193, 199 and
228 or something (that was the year they expanded it to the Top 300
becuase of a new wave formula and too many people making Wave 1).
Anyway, this year about 22 Wave 1 skiers made the Elite Wave. Every
time I've been in the Elite Wave I've been blown out of it the next
year. The problem for me lies in the fact that there aren't that many
skiers my speed in the Elite Wave, just a few. As a result, I don't
get a lot of skiers to hang with in trying to maintain my position. In
Wave 1, you can hook up with a train of fast guys who will take you as
far as you can hang on...

Old February 27th 04, 11:07 PM
FrontRunner

Me thinks you rest on your laurels to much after making the grade with the
big boys.

The FrontRunner

"Jay Tegeder" wrote in message
om...

Old February 28th 04, 12:46 PM
Jay Tegeder

What laurels? I didn't make the Top 200 and I placed 30th in my age
group... It was a great race for me though and I attribute all of it
to having the fastest skis of anyone around me. I beat a bunch of
people who hammered on me all season. If they had my skis, the story
would have been a lot different... Thanks to Tom Novak and Zach
Caldwell for my skis. Anyway, here's how my season went;

Hoigard's Breadsmith Relays (early December) at Theodore Wirth - I had
a pretty fast leg of the 4 x 3K relay race. Wenner let our team down
though....

Classic Hiihto 10K December 31st at Trollhaugen - Had a below average
race and seem to have taken a step backwards on my classic skiing.

Blue Hills Ascent Bruce, Wisconsin 14K Skate first weekend in January
- The course was a sheet of ice. I probably finished where I should
have. I didn't have any speed though.

Balsam Winterfest 20K Skate, Amery, Wisconsin 2nd weekend in January -
Everyone used rock skis because the snow was pretty thin. Not a lot of
people showed up, maybe 40. I skied with the same guys I've been
racing against the last 10 years.

Noquemanon 51K Classic , Marquette, Michigan 3rd weekend in January -
I had a terrible race as I totally missed the kick wax. Stopped 5
times to rewax or scrape... Got my butt kicked by tons of skiers I
normally beat...

City of Lakes 35K Skate, Minneapolis last day of January - Another bad
race. I had the wrong skis. I got destroyed by skiers who I normally
beat by five minutes... I still had fun though.

Mora Vasaloppet 35K Skate, Mora, Minnesota first full weekend in
February - I had a decent race. I could have used a little faster
skis. I had low fluro but higher fluoros were better. I finished about
2 minutes behind the group I normally ski with.

American Birkebeiner, Hayward, Wisconsin February 21st - I finally had
a good race because I had great skis.