Working on V2, comparisons with V1, V1A...

Old November 6th 03, 09:35 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Working on V2, comparisons with V1, V1A...

I went out for a long easy rollerski today and tossed in 3 mini time
trials in the middle of it.

I went up a med-easy hill about 1 km long in V1, then V1A, then V2. I
went as fast as I could each time and each time it took exactly the same
time to get up the hill! 2:40 for each mode. That was interesting.

V1 felt had the highest cadence and felt like it was wearing out my
muskles. HR 170 at top.
V1A felt fine, HR 175 at top.
V2 had the highest HR, 182 at top.

I note that current instruction says that each mode is a lot like the
others, same body position, etc. (including classic). Yet for me each
style of skating FEELS quite different.

Dell Todd suggested working on my V2 by stringing together V1A, but I
felt that V2 was DIFFERENT enough in quality that this drill didn't work
so hot.

My approach was to compact the upper body and arms and slump/crunch and
restrict arm action and work on technique and start by going SLOW then
build up. I finally found some stability then worked on relaxing my
upper body and arms even while keeping them compact. Then in the end I
started extending. Basically I had a great time and felt that my V2
really came around.

The feel of the action is different for each mode but I'd have to say
that the groundspeed and foot-action feel was very similar across the
board. I think this is why my times were the same going up the hill.

For all 3 modes, if I was going good and fast, it felt like I had the
same 'swinging' foot and center-of-gravity action. It all felt seamless
and like I was getting good 'bite' into the road, taking out nice big
chunks with each turnover. The FOOT action seemed to lead. I worked on
ski angle and foot-feel--getting a good little 'forward jet' sense and
ability to finesse the road. It got with my V2 that I felt a lot like I
was inlining. This seemed good to me.

Well, nice outing. Pretty clear cool day. Jeans and Woolrich outfit. 1
hr total.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old November 6th 03, 10:15 PM
Jeff Potter

It seems both obvious and a little amazing that for the same general
technique and energy output that one can go so much faster and 'easier'
when one is hitting this groove than otherwise. It does take a little more
'pop,' then add that swing in there and you're really moving. Yet do it
differently, fall apart a bit, and with same effort and technique you can
end up going lots slower. I think this is going to be something I try to
keep tabs on this winter! Maybe this is where working on that smooth/easy
technique and sticking to it will pay off.

Old November 11th 03, 03:21 PM
Dell Todd

Jeff

Nice job on last weekend's Duathlon. That is a cool thing you guys
have going. Sorry my V2 drill didn't work out for you. I still like
it. We obviously are doing different things, which is fine.

Regarding the "V1A" etc, get this. At the Aalberg clinic I was getting
schooled on my timing. JA said I wasn't doing V2. I said "Whattya mean
?! I am stroking once per side, what AM I doing ?"

"Double V1 I guess then."

(If I can try to describe) It was a timing issue. I wasn't pausing the
pole plant after placing my ski down. I was putting my pole & ski down
simultaneously ON EACH SIDE. Like a V1. Sorta like a V2.

So now we have the V1, the V2A, the Open Field, and now the Double V1.
However, I would not recommend the Double V1 to anyone looking to go
faster, easier !

Now that I have the timing down better, Coach Aalberg might say it
looks more like a V2. And I must say, I can see that the light bulb
has gone on for my skating, and I look forward to a quantum leap in my
percent backs this year because of this. Now I need to figure out
classic the same way. Hooboy...

DT
Old November 12th 03, 05:24 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Dell Todd wrote:

Regarding the "V1A" etc, get this. At the Aalberg clinic I was getting
schooled on my timing. JA said I wasn't doing V2. I said "Whattya mean
?! I am stroking once per side, what AM I doing ?"

"Double V1 I guess then."

(If I can try to describe) It was a timing issue. I wasn't pausing the
pole plant after placing my ski down. I was putting my pole & ski down
simultaneously ON EACH SIDE. Like a V1. Sorta like a V2.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but anyone who has done any
beginner skate coaching has seen the double V1 re-invented many times
over. Not everyone does it, but it's a frequent beginner mistake.

My favorite remedy is the old Bill Koch video, or if a VCR isn't handy,
my best immitation of the way Bill teaches the different timings in
the video.

-Mitch