Back Country Skiing?

Old February 23rd 06, 05:02 PM

Default Back Country Skiing?

I don't know the deffinition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

Thanks

--

Totus possum, totum Deum.
Totus ero, totum meum.

Old February 23rd 06, 05:32 PM

I don't know the deffinition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

If it's not in the English dictionary, there is no definition. Usage
is loose among all who invoke it. Why would you even need a defnition?

JJS

Old February 23rd 06, 07:54 PM

Old February 24th 06, 04:48 AM

News wrote:
I don't know the deffinition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

Thanks

In this group it tends to mean any skiing on ungroomed snow.
gr
Old February 24th 06, 10:12 AM

News wrote:
I don't know the deffinition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

Skiing in the backcountry. Yes, it really /is/ that obvious... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old February 24th 06, 02:18 PM

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:12:01 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

News wrote:
I don't know the deffinition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

Skiing in the backcountry. Yes, it really /is/ that obvious... ;-)

Pete.

Which covers a lot of ground. Everything from off-piste XC skiing in
the woods, to extreme skiing, (tele or randonee), in the mountains.

Also tends to include the use of tele gear at groomed alpine resorts.

A lot more snow in the backcountry than in the groomed areas.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old February 24th 06, 02:33 PM

wrote:

News wrote:

I don't know the deffinition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

Skiing in the backcountry. Yes, it really /is/ that obvious... ;-)

Pete.

Which covers a lot of ground. Everything from off-piste XC skiing in
the woods, to extreme skiing, (tele or randonee), in the mountains.

If not lift served. I watched part of an extreme
tele event at Alpine Meadows one day last year.
It WAS certainly extreme, but it was NOT
backcountry. 30 foot drop on teles, stick the
landing, do it twice more and smile for the
crowd at the bottom. Neat stuff.

Also tends to include the use of tele gear at groomed alpine resorts.

Nah, not around here, it's the place, not the equipment.
The tele guys around here know it's not the backcountry
if they are riding a lift.

A lot more snow in the backcountry than in the groomed areas.

Not in the east this year, unless, of course, you
do your backcountry skiing near Boston.

One has to include cat and heli skiing in the
backcountry definition.

BTW, Gary do you ever do lift served at, say,
Killington?

If so, give me a few days notice.

Richard Walsh
mistypnd at vermontel dot com
change the obvious words.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Old February 24th 06, 10:58 PM

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:
News wrote:
I don't know the definition for back country skiing. Would someone please
tell me what it is?

Skiing in the backcountry. Yes, it really /is/ that obvious... ;-)

I basically go along with Peter, but having just returned from the Alps
(5 different countries), the big difference between the US and there is
the perception of objective risk. Ignore the word skiing for a moment
and use a slightly different near term word: snowboarding.

In the US the perception of being rad, etc., the personality issues of
the community (ski or board) is baggage which a lot of people self
teach or informally teach. That doesn't cut it in the Alps. There is
a big avalanche education campaign and still lots of people die.

The big difference is that you see classes where snowboarders learn how to
handle transceivers, probes, and look for people. Here we have more
legal issues, and if you ski at a resort, you don't just cross a boundary.
Europe: skiing off piste is your problem.

There is a nice set of avalanche posters around the Alps: Snowboards as
tombstone/grave markers, and a varity of "dumb" animals on skis and
boards like Homo stupidous (which was a donkey on skis and ski goggles,
etc.). It has practically nothing to do with the activity itself.

Old February 25th 06, 12:21 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:

having just returned from the Alps
(5 different countries)

Sounds like a fine trip.

Here we have more
legal issues, and if you ski at a resort, you don't just cross a boundary.

OK at some areas around here. Sugar bowl even sells single ride tickets.

Europe: skiing off piste is your problem.

Did you mean "out of bounds?" Even Euros ski off piste sometimes.

I think a working definition of "backcountry" might be something along
the lines of: "If you hurt yourself, it'll take a special effort by to
get you out, if rescue is even possible."
Old February 25th 06, 12:32 AM

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:
Eugene Miya wrote:
having just returned from the Alps
(5 different countries)

Sounds like a fine trip.

It was OK.
It was not w/o fatalities (at least 2). But I survived.

The smell which comes from no where (familiar) while skiing is great.
Great eating. They spend more time eating. Awesome food.

The 2 GB Swiss Army knife is sitting at home now.

Wool pants for 5 SF.

A cute girl named Nina who aspires to be a chemist.

Forests are similar to Tahoe (2nd, actually nth) growth (no old growth).
You will rarely see a tree more than 2 ft. in diameter. They have to
come to the US.

We just polished off (in my meeting) quite a bit of the $70/lb chocolate.

Here we have more
legal issues, and if you ski at a resort, you don't just cross a boundary.

OK at some areas around here. Sugar bowl even sells single ride tickets.

Well, they have too. The Benson hut is back there.
The land checkerboard provides for access to that.

Europe: skiing off piste is your problem.

Did you mean "out of bounds?" Even Euros ski off piste sometimes.

I think a working definition of "backcountry" might be something along
the lines of: "If you hurt yourself, it'll take a special effort by to
get you out, if rescue is even possible."

Lots of helos in Europe (one of the bodies was hauled this way).
That particular carbineri was ****ed at a few people.
He yelled "STOP!" a lot. He needed to yell HALT!; like a German.
I am not clear that that person, victim, survived.

They don't have a concept of ski patrol like the US (Minnie Dole).
Police do go skiing.

I occasionally collect "you leave this area at your own risk" sign photos.

A lot of people don't ski outside the run border poles.
They do now have no ski the forest / plant areas (they respect Greens).
So its not merely out of bounds. They have a slightly different view of
"bounds." US resorts are seen as babying, coddling, clients, as if all
US resorts were say Deer Valley. The relationship of the individual citizen
to the group is different from the States.

Skid, slip, and carved turn yunlong Alpine Skiing 96 February 22nd 05 08:27 PM
History of "Master" category in cross country skiing?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 8 November 8th 04 05:36 AM
Head Lamp for Night Cross Country Skiing Bill Cotton Alpine Skiing 0 February 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Cross Country Skiing - where to go? Alan Nordic Skiing 2 November 20th 03 08:21 PM