Where were you when xxx accident happened?

Old October 8th 03, 08:40 PM
lal_truckee

Default Where were you when xxx accident happened?

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Spent all your time shoveling snow, no doubt?

We did dig the car out each day so as to not lose it. I remember the
area report was "base of 40 with 13 new". They were talking feet.

During the week, the only area that did open was Flatstar. They managed
to cat out some intermediate runs. With the cat compression of the snow,
they had 3 foot high banks on the sides of the runs. Even if you got
going fast and jumped off the groomed, those old-fashioned skinny skis
did not let you carry enough speed to do anything on the terrain you
could access. You just wallowed.

You do need a tad of steep when the powder is vraiment head high and
over - not to be found at Flatstar.

With some steep, the deep is glorious: porpoise into the air, freefall,
deepdive, and porpoise again. Skiing the truly deep on Real Skis(tm) -
it's timeless. (I prefer attempting to breath during the freefall
airborne phase - I find a snorkle uncomfortable.)

TCS, other lost ski area collectors:
Used to be, leftover from the days of small hills, a place called Deer
Park at the 89/Alpine Meadows road intersection which had a lift, a
steep slope off to one side, and a groomed cat-track back to the lift.
It was accessible when the snow came in multiples of several feet and
everywhere else closed while digging out, since the county plowed 89
first thing. Now it's gone; it's an overflow parking lot for Alpine. But
I had some fine days of deep skiing and airborne breathing there.

Old October 8th 03, 08:58 PM
The Real Bev

Sven Golly wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote in news:bm15mm$h7iqr$1
@ID-174744.news.uni-berlin.de:

Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

Two such times. The chairlift at Mountain High stopped suddenly and a kid
who was apparently goofing off was thrown off it while hanging over a
40' drop. He landed on hard ice. There was a red stain for the rest of
the day.

Probably all to the good, anybody who CHOOSES to ski there for reasons
other than closer and cheaper doesn't deserve to live.

The only time I skied Kratka somebody's jacket got caught in the works
(no idea how that happened, the wheel is at least 12 feet off the
ground) and we were hanging in the air for maybe 45 minutes. The woman
behind me was apparently afraid of heights (our feet were maybe 8 feet
off the ground) and kept yammering that she didn't think she could take
it any more. After a while the guy said "I'll go for help" and jumped.
Bloody liar, the patrol had already gone by trying to soothe the annoyed
riders -- he just wanted to get away from her whining. Hope it was worth
it, I think the patrol yanked his ticket.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 8th 03, 09:05 PM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Sven Golly wrote:

[...]

The worst lift stuckage I ever suffered was at Stowe in 1968(?) the day
after Thanksgiving, opening day that year. Only one double chair was open.
My brother and I were stuck in about the highest point off the ground of the
lift ride for over an hour, above an unopened trail with grass and brush
poking up through a couple of inches of snow. We knew we were in trouble
when they started taking people up on the old single chair beside us.
Eventually the ski patrol worked their way down to us with a rope and metal
contraption and lowered us to the ground.

Old October 9th 03, 04:38 AM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:

Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

When the bullwheel came off the lift on North Peak at Keystone, I was
out racing somewhere, I think Breck. Didn't really hear about it until
I got home...

I remember skiing at Key the week before the bullwheel came of then
"Teller"
lift. After they did the retro-fit, it became the "Ruby" lift. IIRC,
my
boss of the time was logging turns at Key the day the bullwheel came
off, but
he wasn't on the lift at the time.

Related, I remember a few years before that, I was at Vail. It was
about the
mid 80's, they still had so much snow, they decided to have a "second
season". Just after lunch at the top of Lionshead, I decided I didn't
need
my jean jacket, as it was so warm. I went to the bottom of (IIRC) game
creek. I may have gotten in one lap, but after that, while ridding the
lift up, it stopped. It didn't run for something like an hour. By
then, the clouds moved in, and I was getting pretty cold. I remember
being fairly close to a lift tower. I remember getting cold enough,
that I
was thinking about trying to jump to the tower, to walk down the rungs
on the tower. But the tower was just a bit too far to try that.
Jumping
off the lift was an even worse idea.

The lift tix price during that "second season" was $10.00. They were
offering
a few dollar refund for the people on that lift. BUT, you had to turn
in
the lift tix to get the few dollar refund. Well, me wanting to keep all
of my tix couldn't go for that offer.

Also, as someone replied to this thread (Space Shuttle Challenger), Last
Feb 1, I rode the ski train from Denver to Winter Park. I was already
dressed out for the ski day when I got off the train, but
some of my friends were in the lodge getting changed out (getting a
locker).
While I was waiting outside for them, I found out that the
Space Shuttle Columbia broke up on entry from someone else waiting
outside.
I didn't believe it. I was in shock. Later that day, I did see further
verification on a lift loading area message sign. Also, later that day,
I was skiing by the Sunnyside lift, and hit some major slush, on Feb 1.
So hitting major slush, and loosing a Space Shuttle was the dark side
of my day. But the up side of that day was skiing with four other
friends
I have never skied with. It was a real Ying & Yang day.

Sam "I think this ski season will be a Ying & Yang year" Seiber