New Boots

Old September 16th 03, 01:50 PM
Richard Walsh

Default New Boots

In the tropical heat of Vermont yesterday,
on a whim, I stopped by my friendly local
ski shop and bought a pair of boots.

Salomon X-wave 10 to replace my Salomon
Force-9 almost race boots.

The X-wave has the same stiffness as my
old boots but the cuff isn't riveted.
I'm going to try it that way for a while
and see if I like a little more fore and
aft flexibility. The shop can rivet the
cuff if I want them to. It appears that
the Cross-Max 10 is the same boot with
the cuff riveted, for $25 more.

Another thing, My old boots were
Mondo size 28.5 (about 10 1/2 or 10 wide)
the new ones are 28.0. It feels like
Salomon is providing a little more space
in the forefoot area. My old boots, being
a little wider to accomodate my forefoot
needed a heel-pocket insert to be snug
enough around the heel. I don't think
these will. Especially with the heat-moulded
liner.

My hard snow skis are fine for another season.
They are Blizzard FR22's new last year. My
soft snow skis are X-Screams, bought used
and beginning to break down. The plan is to
replace them with something else and put
BC bindings on the old 'Screams.

R(thinking about skiing)W

Old September 17th 03, 01:00 AM
So'n'so

How much did you pay for X-Wave 10s? Have you tried the new Atomics with
the wide forefoot?

.4...

Old September 17th 03, 07:42 AM
Sam Seiber

So'n'so wrote:

How much did you pay for X-Wave 10s? Have you tried the new Atomics with
the wide forefoot?

I picked up som CrossMax 10.0's. Don't know how they differ from the
X-Waves.
So far, just walking around the house, I like how they feel. But since
bought everything that goes below the knees, I won't have a report until
my first test laps in something like 30 day. My Cross Max's were $350
at one of the huge local ski sales here in Denver.

Sam "trying the new gear this year" Seiber

Old September 17th 03, 12:21 PM
Richard Walsh

"So'n'so" wrote in
:

How much did you pay for X-Wave 10s? Have you tried the new Atomics with
the wide forefoot?

I've been on Salomons for 7 years now and don't need to
change. As for price, I'm eligible for pro pricing from
the company and the local shops honor that.

RW

Old September 17th 03, 12:24 PM
Richard Walsh

Sam Seiber wrote in
:

So'n'so wrote:

How much did you pay for X-Wave 10s? Have you tried the new Atomics
with the wide forefoot?

I picked up som CrossMax 10.0's. Don't know how they differ from the
X-Waves.

The only difference I could see is that the cuff is made of
translucent material like the lower and that it's riveted
to the lower. I went for a bit more forward flex with my
shop guy telling me that he could rivet the cuff if I wanted
him to. Actually the Cross Max "rivets" look like Tee nuts
and bolts that can be removed.

So far, just walking around the house, I like how they feel. But since
bought everything that goes below the knees, I won't have a report until
my first test laps in something like 30 day. My Cross Max's were $350
at one of the huge local ski sales here in Denver.

Sam "trying the new gear this year" Seiber

Nothing like new stuff to make a body feel good.

RW