Salomon Link - Any users? How is it in Pow?

Old January 25th 06, 02:42 PM

Default Salomon Link - Any users? How is it in Pow?

Looking for a freeride only board for a novice. All advise is welcome.

Old January 26th 06, 12:26 AM

General rule....
Salomons are springy and lively...
Powder boards usually start about 5-15cms longer than freeriders,
wider is better....
If you like lively boards, and it's long enough, sure, it would work
well in powder.......

Old January 26th 06, 04:04 AM

Don't know the specs on that board but also look for something with a
slight to moderate taper tail...that is the tail width is less than the
nose width. This will help the tail to sink and keep the nose
up...also don't want too stiff of a board as this will cause the nose
to plow more than a softer nose. And definitately longer and wider
than normal is good. Look also for moderate setback 1.0-3.0 depending
on how much pow youwill actually ride.

All these things work in conjunction to get the desired effect so if
you can't find all of them in your preffered range you can go larger in
one of the others.

Old January 27th 06, 04:02 PM

"LeeD" wrote in message
oups.com...
General rule....
Salomons are springy and lively...
Powder boards usually start about 5-15cms longer than freeriders,
wider is better....
If you like lively boards, and it's long enough, sure, it would work
well in powder.......

You didn't say in your original message whether you were looking for an all
around freeride board that can do some powder or a powder board. You
selection may change depending upon what you are looking for.

TG

Old January 28th 06, 01:53 AM

That's exactly what I was looking at, "an all
around freeride board that can do some powder or a powder board".
Wondering if the Link, would do it!

Thanks for the posts!

J-

Old January 28th 06, 02:01 AM

I'm looking at the Link as an " all around freeride board that can do
some powder", not strictly a pow board.

Thanks for the input!

Specs:

Size 160

weight 3190

Effective Edge 1255

Recommended Stance mm / 540(21,2)

Set back 20

Side Cut Radius 9

Waist Width 255
Contact Length 1220

Maximum Foot Size 295
Nose Width 299

Rider Weight (kg) 65-90
Rider Weight (lbs) 145-200

Old January 28th 06, 02:49 AM

How heavy are you?

I looked up the specs too on the site, but didn't see a tail
width...funny.
Sidecut lends me to believe it should be reasonably stable at speed and
also not hook up in deep pow. I wouldn't worry too much about the max
foot size...I ride a 252mm waist with a 13.5 us. My bindings give me
enough rise to clear the toes.

Old January 28th 06, 04:59 AM

Thanks J-

I'm 175 lbs., 5'-10", and 10.5-11 boot aaaaaand inexperienced! However,
I make up for it by being old and gnarly!

JDub

Old January 29th 06, 01:35 AM

Based on your weight and what LeeD said bout Salomons( not too
stiff)...I'd say it should be fine for ya in the pow. With the setback
of 2cm (20 mm) you may not have to even futz around with binding
placement forwards and back. If you do get it ...or something similar
do report back.

Old January 29th 06, 12:47 PM

Thanks LeeD, reading all the posts here on Salomon boards, I was
concerned that it might be a little too stiff for a novice and that
might also translate into "not so good for powder" also. It seems from
just the specs that it would be a decent all mountain ride, and I was
hoping to find someone that has ridden one to get the positives and
negatives. I'll report back if I get it!

JDub

Salomon Link? Sean Snowboarding 5 October 29th 05 08:13 PM
Salomon X-Adventure 8 vs Salomon X-Adventure Raid [email protected] Backcountry Skiing 2 March 10th 05 11:39 AM
Salomon Scream Pilot 10 187 cm's w Bindings ,2003 GOLF BAG Alpine Skiing 0 December 10th 04 11:58 AM
Salomon 9 vs Carbon Griss Nordic Skiing 9 January 6th 04 04:25 PM