Friendly Slopes

Old February 2nd 06, 10:00 PM

Default Friendly Slopes

I have skied, surfed, but never tried snowboarding. Now I am itching to
try something new. Can anyone tell me where is a good place to learn? I
heard some slopes do not welcome snowboarders, and other ones have
overly aggressive snowboarders.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old February 3rd 06, 12:24 AM

lakota wrote:
BTW, I am in central US.

lakota wrote:

I have skied, surfed, but never tried snowboarding. Now I am itching to
try something new. Can anyone tell me where is a good place to learn? I
heard some slopes do not welcome snowboarders, and other ones have
overly aggressive snowboarders.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Any place that allows snowboarder is a good enough place to learn. When
learning you don't need anything more than a few hundred feet. Just
pick a place you can get to, get a beginniner package with lesson and
go for it! There are only 4-5 resorts in the US that don't allow
snowboarders (Deer Valley, Taos, Mad River Glen, ...). I have no idea
what you mean be overly aggressive snowboarders - do you mean
teenagers? freestyle riders? racers? Stay far far away from the
terrain park or green runs that have black runs above them an you
should be safe from a maniac ramming you from behind at ludicrous speed.

Old February 3rd 06, 11:54 AM

lakota wrote:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Based on my learning experience and after taking my 8 year old nephew to
a resort to learn to board I have this to offer: check a resort's
facilities via its web site or call before deciding where to go and find
one that either has a chairlift or "wonder carpet" (conveyer belt) to
get you up the learner area's hill. I detest rope tows. A rope tow can
turn an otherwise nice day into a disaster.

Dean
Old February 3rd 06, 03:06 PM

lakota wrote:
lakota wrote:

I have skied, surfed, but never tried snowboarding. Now I am itching
to try something new. Can anyone tell me where is a good place to
learn? I heard some slopes do not welcome snowboarders, and other ones
have overly aggressive snowboarders.

BTW, I am in central US.

A bunny hill is a bunny hill - just go wherever's convinent. Type your
zipcode into http://www.skidweeb.com and see what's nearby.

There are only four ski hills that prohibit snowboards, and none of them
are in the central US. Don't worry about that one.

As for overly aggressive, that's probably more a matter of timing than
location. For instance the 3pm after school crowd is probably best
avoided. Try going on a weekday morning when you have the hill to yourself.

//Walt