Total skiing: ski the whole ski

Old November 20th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Total skiing: ski the whole ski

VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

A "soft/variable board" is a "board" that varies in shape. Given two
skis, there are infinite different shapes/configurations that we can
make; we can spread them lengthwise and together (look at their
outline) they form one skinny long "board"; or we can spread them
sideways to make one wide short "board." Each "board" configuration
reflects its unique characteristic--i.e. a "long" board is better for
gliding, and a "short" board is better for lateral balance, and etc. By
shuffling the feet/skis to seek an optimum shape/configuration for the
given balance and speed, a flatboard skier is actually skiing on
infinite numbers of "board." By moving the weight/CoG (ride) to control
the shuffling of skis and weight placement over the skis, flatboarding
is to "ride the skis" and "surf the gravity."

The principal principle and technique in flatboarding is quite simple,
"ride the flat bottom to go [straight], and ride on the edge to turn."
Yeah, that's what we all do.

Not the psia strain skiing, which is pretty much all American.

If you define PSIA strain skiing AS all-American then maybe.
However, a downhiller knows that a flat ski is a fast ski.

Yes, and no, except some downhillers, racers, and others who break out
the PSIA's cocoon of outside ski dominated turning style, most of
American ski categorically the same way, the PSIA strain.

If the racer is in the fall line and plans to stay there,
the fastest way is equal weight on flat skis. The purpose
of flags in any race is to "keep you on edge" and therefore
finding the fast way while edged.

Yes, those are old-timers' experience, but not emphasized in PSIA's
teaching, at least, not on the surface when they talk about what is a
good skiing.

But I digress. Even in PSIA instruction there will always be
at least an instant when skis are flat. If at no other time
than the transition form one set of edges to another.

Yes, definitely, there must be some flatboard moment, no matter how
brief, to make a smooth transition from edges to edges. But some
hotshots (coaches) think that because it is "from edges to edges" so
they denounce the flatboard period of the transition and skip the
flatboard phase of the transition, and result in destabilized turn and
poor line selection. That is what missing in PSIA's teaching.

Now, on a pair skis, we have two flat bottoms and four
edges, and a total skier utilize/ski all of them.
But not all at the same time.

That's for sure. What I was saying is to use one of any of
those features to control/change/ski the desired line.

I know, I was ragging on you.

Ok,

'later,
IS

Old November 20th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

Total skiing is to ski the whole ski.

What a pity, then, that you only ski the tails...

Where do you get that idea?

"the whole ski" = "the tails"?

I don't have that idea. It's just the way you ski.

What a pity is that in your denials, you are no longer to tell what is
the truth, or your fantasy.

What a pity you ski so poorly that you can't go down anything
difficult...

"There's nothing more foolish than one who deceives itself to deceive
others," suit yourself.

I couldn't agree more, and I will.

But you...

....you come back when you've got a video of you skiing something other
than a bunny hill!

:-)

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'
Old November 20th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

You are pathetic.

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_boardl.wmv

IS

:-)

Old November 20th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

Nope. Posting videos of oneself skiing down bunny hills is pathetic..

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_boardl.wmv

See?

You made to ten turns on an easy section of hill covered in enough snow
to keep your speed down to a crawl and you still lost your balance eight
times!

Old November 20th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

snip...

If you define PSIA strain skiing AS all-American then maybe.
However, a downhiller knows that a flat ski is a fast ski.

Yes, and no, except some downhillers, racers, and others who break out
the PSIA's cocoon of outside ski dominated turning style, most of
American ski categorically the same way, the PSIA strain.

I am not aware of any good ski racers that do not use an outside ski
dominated turing style. A ski racer may find themselves in a situation
where the dominant ski happens to be the inside ski while in the turn -
however, that is not a desired situation. A strong, balanced skier can
recover from this situiation OR then can end up their hip sliding out
of the course or into the trees or other skiers.

Yes, definitely, there must be some flatboard moment, no matter how
brief, to make a smooth transition from edges to edges. But some
hotshots (coaches) think that because it is "from edges to edges" so
they denounce the flatboard period of the transition and skip the
flatboard phase of the transition, and result in destabilized turn and
poor line selection. That is what missing in PSIA's teaching.

There is a concept called "drift" that is used to adjust line at the
completion of a turn before initiation of a new turn. The skis are
flat - the skier is drifing across and down the fall-line to adjust
line. When line adjustment is complete, the skier goes back to outside
ski dominated turning. Drift is not something that will happen in each
turn. It's a tool. It is what I had imagined you meant by "flat
boarding" when you brought that up here in RSA. Drift is good when
needed. Drift is bad if needed all the time while in a race course.
Drift will not get you through a race course, unless it is your goal to
ski very slowly while drifting your turns.

So, I think you have a unique style for drifting - what you call
flatboarding - and you use that style to adjust your line while
**freeskiing** on wide open cruisers. I think if it brings you joy,
then that is great. But you should not be surpirsed when "hot shot
coaches" and PSIA certified ski instrctors blow off this technique as a
good way to ski. It's uses are very liimited - IMO. But, thanks for
sharing anyway.
--
Marty

Old November 21st 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Marty wrote:
snip...

If you define PSIA strain skiing AS all-American then maybe.
However, a downhiller knows that a flat ski is a fast ski.

Yes, and no, except some downhillers, racers, and others who break out
the PSIA's cocoon of outside ski dominated turning style, most of
American ski categorically the same way, the PSIA strain.

I am not aware of any good ski racers that do not use an outside ski
dominated turing style. A ski racer may find themselves in a situation
where the dominant ski happens to be the inside ski while in the turn -
however, that is not a desired situation.

I'm not name dropping, but methinks that Bode is a typical flatboarder
who uses all the features of a ski mentioned above--edges and flat
bottoms--to race, at any given moment, instead of using a "formed" (a
particular sequenced) technique.

A strong, balanced skier can
recover from this situiation OR then can end up their hip
sliding out of the course or into the trees or other skiers.

A racing "line" is a highly articulate/artificial line, which
represents only a fraction of the full featured all-mountain free
skiing. While in racing, carving turn may be necessary to follow the
line; however, a good skier, when free skiing, can always ski a line
that eliminates the need of carving turn.

[...]

Yes, drifting is done/adjusted by minor skidding and slipping; however,
flatboarding itself is to ride on the flat skis so it rides on a
faster/straighter line, and turns off of the faster line/uphill to slow
down.

So, I think you have a unique style for drifting - what you call
flatboarding - and you use that style to adjust your line while
**freeskiing** on wide open cruisers. I think if it brings you joy,
then that is great.

Flatboarding is a great open cruiser; when compares to carving turn
technique, it's like Me262 (German jet fighter of WWII) vs. P51.

But you should not be surpirsed when "hot shot
coaches" and PSIA certified ski instrctors blow off this technique as a
good way to ski. It's uses are very liimited - IMO.

Too many people have challenge me this... Only to show their arrogance.
And a Mike at Sierra-at-Tahoe was asking the question rhetorically,
after he skied with me on preacher's passion on a powder day last year,
"What would [PSIA] D team think?"

But, thanks for sharing anyway.

You welcome; pleasure is all mine,
IS

--
Marty

Old November 21st 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

"Or just a gaper's denial."

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_boardl.wmv

See?

Yes, "green" MA,

You made to ten turns on an easy section of hill covered in enough snow
to keep your speed down to a crawl and you still lost your balance eight
times!

You did ten times on MA, and missed ten times. Without any proof other
than your "green" MA and pretend that you know?

You are pathetic.

IS

Old November 21st 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

taichiskiing wrote:

Flatboarding is a great open cruiser; when compares to carving turn
technique, it's like Me262 (German jet fighter of WWII) vs. P51.

P51 shot down and destroyed more Me262 so your analogy like your
techique is flawed
Old November 21st 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

down_hill wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

Flatboarding is a great open cruiser; when compares to carving turn
technique, it's like Me262 (German jet fighter of WWII) vs. P51.

P51 shot down and destroyed more Me262 so your analogy like
your techique is flawed

Yup, most Me262 were shot down by a mob of P51. Nevertheless, Me262 was
a superior and faster airplane than P51.

IS

Old November 21st 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

taichiskiing wrote:

down_hill wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:

Flatboarding is a great open cruiser; when compares to carving turn
technique, it's like Me262 (German jet fighter of WWII) vs. P51.

P51 shot down and destroyed more Me262 so your analogy like
your techique is flawed

Yup, most Me262 were shot down by a mob of P51. Nevertheless, Me262 was
a superior and faster airplane than P51.

IS

It less of an airplane and more like a rocket with small wings, after
the fuel was consumed they were easy targets, at least the ones that did
not explode during launching. The P51 was the best all round fighter of
WWII. But you subscribe to strange and bizarre theories so I do not
expect you to accept this fact or much that is rational.