lucky guys in Tahoe

Old February 29th 04, 04:21 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default lucky guys in Tahoe

So you guys got another big dump! Hope its the really
light stuff. Was reading Alpines page yesterday.. what
the heck is a powder line? Just a rope? More general
question - what, if anything, extra do you ride with
on those big powder days?

I'm headed out mid march, any shop recommendations
in or near Tahoe City for a good wax? I'm going
to wax the night before I go out but am sure
I'll need new by 4th day, especially if it were
to warm up.

thanks

Old March 1st 04, 02:49 PM
og

Awesome weekend in Tahoe.. Nice weather for the next two weeks after today.

Dave's snowboards in Tahoe City is a good shop.

. 3.44...

Old March 1st 04, 11:23 PM
jaycb74

Man, Friday was unreal...5 feet of freshies...almost lost a friend in a
tree-well it was so deep! Best conditions I've seen in some time, light
powder, sunny and deep!

Plenty of shops in town but I doubt you'll need a wax after 4 days, if you
realy feel like you need it, I would just apply a daily wax. Lets hope
March is as good as Jan and Feb. have been!!!

Daves is a good shop for whatever you need.

Old March 2nd 04, 12:17 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

sounds like Dave's is it. I think I may even have
gone there 3 years ago..hmm.

I have to say, I'm a little bit concerned about
a big pow dump for my friend. He's a very light
intermediate.. only gets out a few times a year.
Not a bomber type at all.. fearful he will try
to many turns or let his tip drop. Probably
the best bet is put him on a green near the base
for a few runs. Normally I let him go down
the run first and just sit down and wait till
he's half way - 2/3 down before I go, but if
theres a lot of powder it wont be pratical to
wait and sink!

What technique do you use in deep pow to get
restarted? Like when I was last out there
(a 4' week) I would pack a little base wiht
my hands as best I could, getting my board
as best unstuck, and then just try to push
myself up with nose in the fall line. Must
be a better way?

Old March 2nd 04, 01:50 AM
jaycb74

the snow was so light this week that you had to do just what you described,
pack it together just so you could push off and then try to get going
downhill as quick as possible. I got stuck one time in chest deep powder
and it took me about 30 minutes to get out of that mess...man was I spent
after that and the trail was only about 15 yards away...I actually kissed
the groomer after crawling onto it...fun stuff...

Old March 2nd 04, 04:39 AM
Dmitry

"jaycb74" wrote

the snow was so light this week that you had to do just what you described,
pack it together just so you could push off and then try to get going
downhill as quick as possible. I got stuck one time in chest deep powder
and it took me about 30 minutes to get out of that mess...man was I spent
after that and the trail was only about 15 yards away...I actually kissed
the groomer after crawling onto it...fun stuff...

Cheers mate, I did exactly the same when ran off into a ditch in January
at Baker. There were 40-something inches of snow in two days, it was unreal!

Old March 3rd 04, 05:20 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"jaycb74" wrote in news:1078192372.225516@sj-
nntpcache-3:

downhill as quick as possible. I got stuck one time in chest deep
powder and it took me about 30 minutes to get out of that
mess...man was I spent after that and the trail was only about 15
yards away...I actually kissed the groomer after crawling onto
it...fun stuff...

so wonder if its worth on those over 3' days to ride with a
pack and shovel.. might make it a tiny bit easier to get dug out
(just hope for no wind!)

Old March 3rd 04, 09:55 PM
Chris J.

[...]

Over time you learn how to avoid this pretty well...line choice, speed etc.
But it still happens. You can use your feet and board to pack a spot down,
then scoot down onto that spot and use it to push yourself up. Or just keep
filling in the holes you make with your arms until there is a bottom to push
off. Use trees to pull up on and/or shrub branches to walk on or push
yourself up with. Try rolling or crawling - basically spreading yourself out
to maintain some float. Try to get some air flowing into your clothes, open
vents in your helmet etc., because you're going to be working hard if it's
deep and you're really stuck. I once tried putting a knee on my board and
using my arms and other leg to "paddle" with - it worked until I got too
tired and tried something else. I also kissed the groomer when I got out of
that one.

Chris

Snowboarding schools in Tahoe browse Snowboarding 3 February 5th 04 04:00 PM
Lake Tahoe area in April J.B. Memascii Snowboarding 3 January 15th 04 02:36 PM
Lake Tahoe Loding... Chris General 0 December 4th 03 12:13 AM
Tahoe Question Kevin General 2 November 25th 03 04:59 AM
Tahoe Dave Snowboarding 1 November 17th 03 04:30 PM