Sonny Bono

Old January 9th 06, 06:54 PM

Default Sonny Bono

I've always wondered if Sonny Bono was a great skier pushing the
envelope or a bad skier in over his head. Maybe it was late in the day
and he was just tired. I know it's hard, but you gotta know when to say
when. (Just ask Bode...)

Jeff

Old January 10th 06, 12:29 AM

"Jeff" said:

I've always wondered if Sonny Bono was a great skier pushing the
envelope or a bad skier in over his head. Maybe it was late in the day
and he was just tired. I know it's hard, but you gotta know when to say
when. (Just ask Bode...)

I thought we discussed this before and decided in was the tree's fault?

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at http://Powderday.us
Carpe powder-diem

Old January 10th 06, 01:38 PM

Sven Golly wrote:
Let Mikey Ski It! wrote in news:2006010918294616807%
msaemisch@yahoocom:

I thought we discussed this before and decided in was the tree's fault?

Tasteless humor warning...

http://www.northvalley.net/jokes/jokes/kenbono.shtml

And if you can find it (MP3), "I Can't Ski Babe" by Bob Rivers.

I guess I'll never get a satisfactory answer to this question...

Old January 10th 06, 02:50 PM

Jeff wrote:
I guess I'll never get a satisfactory answer to this question...

I skied at Heavenly just a few months after Bono "bit the bark". At
that time the patrollers and locals weren't talking that much about
details, but I was pointed to the general vicinity (enough to narrow it
down to a couple of different trees). It was a fairly open tree/glade
run with not a whole lot of pitch. Take away the trees and it would've
been a green run. At that time, speculation was that he either caught
an edge and lost it or was shooting a tree well and either missed or
lost control going in. Nobody implied he was a lousy skier. Nor did
they say he was "expert". I never heard a definitive description of
the accident, just guesses.

Old January 10th 06, 03:12 PM

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I guess I'll never get a satisfactory answer to this question...

I skied at Heavenly just a few months after Bono "bit the bark". At
that time the patrollers and locals weren't talking that much about
details, but I was pointed to the general vicinity (enough to narrow it
down to a couple of different trees). It was a fairly open tree/glade
run with not a whole lot of pitch. Take away the trees and it would've
been a green run. At that time, speculation was that he either caught
an edge and lost it or was shooting a tree well and either missed or
lost control going in. Nobody implied he was a lousy skier. Nor did
they say he was "expert". I never heard a definitive description of
the accident, just guesses.

Prescription painkillers and tree skiing don't mix:
From http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,3934,00.html

Sonny Bono's widow says she's "100 percent convinced" a
prescription-drug habit led to the popster/politician's fatal skiing
accident.

In an interview appearing in the November 28 TV Guide, Mary Bono says
her late husband had been popping "15, 20 maybe" pills a day at the time
of his death in January. He had been taking the painkillers for a
chronic back problem, a condition exacerbated by a 1995 neck injury.

"I am 100 percent convinced that is why he died," she tells the mag....

An autopsy revealed no evidence of drug or alcohol abuse; Mary Bono says
the levels of Vicodin and Valium were in the "therapeutic range"--that
is, prescribed amounts--at the time of his death.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//Walt
Old January 10th 06, 03:29 PM

Jeff wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote in news:2006010918294616807%
msaemisch@yahoocom:

I thought we discussed this before and decided in was the tree's fault?

Tasteless humor warning...

http://www.northvalley.net/jokes/jokes/kenbono.shtml

And if you can find it (MP3), "I Can't Ski Babe" by Bob Rivers.

I guess I'll never get a satisfactory answer to this question...

He was a good skier but as with anything there are inherent risks. Every
once in a while the odds catch up with you. They caught up with him that
day.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 10th 06, 05:10 PM

Walt quoted:

From http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,3934,00.html

In an interview appearing in the November 28 TV Guide, Mary Bono says
her late husband had been popping "15, 20 maybe" pills a day at the time
of his death in January. He had been taking the painkillers for a
chronic back problem, a condition exacerbated by a 1995 neck injury.
"I am 100 percent convinced that is why he died," she tells the mag....

Was Sonny Bono wearing a helmet at the time of his accident?

Would it have helped?

Old January 10th 06, 05:22 PM

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Walt quoted:

From http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,3934,00.html

In an interview appearing in the November 28 TV Guide, Mary Bono says
her late husband had been popping "15, 20 maybe" pills a day at the time
of his death in January. He had been taking the painkillers for a
chronic back problem, a condition exacerbated by a 1995 neck injury.
"I am 100 percent convinced that is why he died," she tells the mag....

Was Sonny Bono wearing a helmet at the time of his accident?

Would it have helped?

You, my friend, have just started a Holy War...

Jeff

Old January 10th 06, 05:26 PM

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Walt quoted:

From http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,3934,00.html

In an interview appearing in the November 28 TV Guide, Mary Bono says
her late husband had been popping "15, 20 maybe" pills a day at the time
of his death in January. He had been taking the painkillers for a
chronic back problem, a condition exacerbated by a 1995 neck injury.
"I am 100 percent convinced that is why he died," she tells the mag....

Was Sonny Bono wearing a helmet at the time of his accident?

No. The current helmet craze was started (or at least substantially
boosted) by the deaths of Michael Kennedy and Sonny Bono within a week
of each other back in the late 90s.

Would it have helped?

Nobody really knows.

// Walt
//
// There is no Conspiracy

Old January 10th 06, 05:28 PM

On 10 Jan 2006 06:38:03 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

Sven Golly wrote:
Let Mikey Ski It! wrote in news:2006010918294616807%
msaemisch@yahoocom:

I thought we discussed this before and decided in was the tree's fault?

Tasteless humor warning...

http://www.northvalley.net/jokes/jokes/kenbono.shtml

And if you can find it (MP3), "I Can't Ski Babe" by Bob Rivers.

I guess I'll never get a satisfactory answer to this question...

He was a great skier pushing the envelope. If you didn't see his
amazing come-from-behind white-knuckle downhill victory at the 1976
Innsbruck "Battle of the Network Stars" you missed one of the great
downhill runs of all time.

At least, I _think_ that was Sonny.

bw