Cottonwood Canyon - Alta?

Old March 20th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Cottonwood Canyon - Alta?

On 3/19/12 5:08 PM, VtSkier wrote:

I have yet to see an avalanche class offered here.

With climate change upon us, east coast avalanche may yet become a
worry, IF you have slopes in the precarious steepness category.
Old March 20th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 3/20/2012 2:40 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/19/12 5:08 PM, VtSkier wrote:

I have yet to see an avalanche class offered here.

With climate change upon us, east coast avalanche may yet become a
worry, IF you have slopes in the precarious steepness category.

There was an avalanche at Wisp a couple of seasons ago (Wisp is a ski
area in Maryland, for those of you taking notes). If Wisp can slide,
damn near anywhere can slide.

//Walt
Old March 20th 12, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/19/12 5:08 PM, VtSkier wrote:

I have yet to see an avalanche class offered here.

With climate change upon us, east coast avalanche may yet become a
worry, IF you have slopes in the precarious steepness category.

What worry

you need snow to create avalanche otherwise it is mining mud slide......
Old March 20th 12, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:18:52 AM UTC-6, Yadda wrote:

No, I am talking about going off trial into the tree-only areas of the
mountain. I would use an instructor again obviously but since economy
is bad can I trust someone that needs to earn money and may put my life
at risk?

But inside ski area boundries? That's what I talked about. Eagles Nest, sides of Catherines, Piney Glade, Wildcat. Tree areas but inbounds. Since you talk of an instructor going with you I assume so.

That's not an "obviously" afaiak. Exporing on your own or with friends is better. Save the money for beer. I'd leave "the economy" out of it too. Not relevant.
Old March 20th 12, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 3/20/2012 3:21 PM, down_hill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/19/12 5:08 PM, VtSkier wrote:

I have yet to see an avalanche class offered here.

With climate change upon us, east coast avalanche may yet become a
worry, IF you have slopes in the precarious steepness category.

What worry

you need snow to create avalanche otherwise it is mining mud slide......

Warmer temps - wetter heavier snow - more propensity to slide.

More variable weather patterns - unstable layers in the snowpack -
more propensity to slide

So I don't think lal's "worry" is unfounded, although it's by no means
scientifically proven.

//Walt

Old March 20th 12, 06:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/19/12 5:08 PM, VtSkier wrote:

I have yet to see an avalanche class offered here.

With climate change upon us, east coast avalanche may yet become a
worry, IF you have slopes in the precarious steepness category.

What worry

you need snow to create avalanche otherwise it is mining mud slide......

Warmer temps - wetter heavier snow - more propensity to slide.

More variable weather patterns - unstable layers in the snowpack -
more propensity to slide

So I don't think lal's "worry" is unfounded, although it's by no means
scientifically proven.

//Walt

I am thinking maryland W Va area now there ain't much snow unless
outside of a skating facility that just cleaned the ice.

Saw a nice picture of palmer snowfield from today but I am here in the
east and it is 70.
Old March 20th 12, 07:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Mammoth Forum thread on deaths and injuries in this week's California storms.

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/vi...p?f=14&t=13138

Not all avalanches - tree wells, hard falls, and snow undermined by mel****er.

Old March 20th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:36:19 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:18:52 AM UTC-6, Yadda wrote:

No, I am talking about going off trial into the tree-only areas of the
mountain. I would use an instructor again obviously but since economy
is bad can I trust someone that needs to earn money and may put my life
at risk?

But inside ski area boundries? That's what I talked about. Eagles Nest, sides of Catherines, Piney Glade, Wildcat. Tree areas but inbounds. Since you talk of an instructor going with you I assume so.

The beach at DV. Top of the Gondy at the Canyons.

That's not an "obviously" afaiak.

Obviously, you were terrified of showing up there, completely unable to handle the coditions, even with double diapers.

Exporing on your own or with friends is better.

I had friends at both places. They know you. They would have loved watching you get humiliated, but then again, afaik, you know that.

Save the money for beer. I'd leave "the economy" out of it too. Not relevant.

Obviously, you saved enough money for beer in your spiderhole. Stayed drunk the whole time I was down. As for the economy, it wasn't relevant to your cowardice and complete lack of manhood: good times or bad, Bob Thompson is my beetch.

Old March 21st 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yadda

on 3/20/12 2:36 PM pigo said the following:
On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:18:52 AM UTC-6, Yadda wrote:

No, I am talking about going off trial into the tree-only areas of the
mountain. I would use an instructor again obviously but since economy
is bad can I trust someone that needs to earn money and may put my life
at risk?

But inside ski area boundries? That's what I talked about. Eagles Nest, sides of Catherines, Piney Glade, Wildcat. Tree areas but inbounds. Since you talk of an instructor going with you I assume so.

That's not an "obviously" afaiak. Exporing on your own or with friends is better. Save the money for beer. I'd leave "the economy" out of it too. Not relevant.

In the Intermediate Class we went under ropes to get to the dense tree
areas. Like skiing thru a forest but on a mountain.