How about a good pack?

Old December 5th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kurt Knisely

Default How about a good pack?

Bob Lee wrote in
:

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I have an Osprey Switch. They're heavy. I kinda prefer just regular
old simple rucksacks.

Yours is probably old. They lightened them up considerably this year.
Consider upgrading. insert gratuitous, yet mandatory 'retro-grouch
pinna' comment here

I have so many packs it's sick. Tons of fancy little do-dads on my not-
very-old Switch 25+5, but I think they overdid it. I noticed they don't do
the "+x" models any more. Just too many freakin' pockets, options and
configurations for me. Hydration gizmos are nice when it's not too cold
(yes, I have the insulated hose, bite valve, etc.). Still, water bottles
work fine for me. On really cold days they're a must. A number of nights
below zero here already (just recently). Usually we only have a couple of
weeks of the stuff through the winter though.

Loud recrystalized powder and surface hoar in the valleys (inversion
city)...still thin cover in places...send more snow.

-K
Old December 5th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Kurt Knisely wrote:

Where's Seth (a la snowdeath)?

He never finished the story???

I volunteered to type it. He wanted to fax it to me. I don't have a
fax. Impasse.

--
Cheers, Bev
Segal's Law: A man with one watch knows the time.
Old December 5th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I have so many packs it's sick.

Sell me one. I dont want any stupid hydration doo-dad. Just good,
secure way to hold my skis, and a pocket for a shovel...All other stuff
can be jammed and / or slipped in somehwere...like pole and Pieps and
stuff...

Old December 5th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

The Real Bev wrote:
Kurt Knisely wrote:

Where's Seth (a la snowdeath)?

He never finished the story???

I volunteered to type it. He wanted to fax it to me. I don't have a
fax. Impasse.

What's wrong with mail ? It's not like we're in a hurry or anything...
Old December 5th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Yeah not my ideal pack either...I always preferred the simple,
functional stuff like Dana Design tends to make.

But I've been using a garbage Voile pack from years past. Lots of
padding on the back...little else. So that would be fine for this
year. Thanks...

You're in Summit or Wasatch county right ?? I'd be an idiot to have
you ship it. I'll just show up with 40 bucks or something...

Old December 6th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:

Jerky. You probably won?t make it to Mirror Lake in the Uinta Mountains
in spring, unless you have a snowmobile, but you can still access unlimited
hiking, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing. On the way up from Kamas,
stop at the Samak Smokehouse and Country Store for some fresh jerky (yes,
it?s an oxymoron). The smoked trout and turkey jerky will get you through
any outdoor adventure. Forgot some gear? They also have snowshoe rentals,
fishing licenses, firewood, and free maps. Keep your eyes on the road as
you pass the sign for the Beaver Creek Nudist Colony. It might be a hoax,
but many cars have swerved trying to catch a glimpse of skin.

Best jerky ever (especially the trout). Beaver Creek Nudist Ranch is a
hoax. But works to keep people's speed down. No fishing licenses at
the Samak Mall last time I tried. They couldn't get their Mac to work
with the state Web****. Laughed my ass off.. and drove back to the
Phillips 66. But they gave me some wildflower seeds out of their
garden. And swore they were gonna fix the Windows PC. Nice folks. And
I'll still always stop there to get my "recreation permit".

Utah, where you need a permit to recreate, but not procreate. Whassup
wid dat?

-klaus

Old December 6th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

klaus wrote:

Utah, where you need a permit to recreate, but not procreate. Whassup
wid dat?

-klaus

That's a whole nother topic...

btw...trout jerkey ? Ew ??

Old December 6th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Yabahoobs wrote:

btw...trout jerkey ? Ew ??

You need to try it. I'd agree with you, But I tried it. Damn good. But
they have others. Any of the Teriaki jerky will have you coming back
like a crack addict. But if you come back after 2:00 AM, go around
back.

-klaus

Old December 6th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

klaus wrote:
Kurt Knisely wrote:

Utah, where you need a permit to recreate, but not procreate. Whassup
wid dat?

Isn't one an example of the other? Or is it different in Utah?

//Walt
Old December 6th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:

Weatherman called for a low of 3 degrees last night, and it's only in the
high teens. Normal temps. Well above the inversion during the day. Gnarly

How's your surface hoar? The snow is sliding over us to the north over a
high pressure ridge. There's a low in the Gulf of Alaska pushing moisture
in to the Pacific Northwest that appears to be inconsequential to the inter-
mountain snowpack. The Pacific is clear at our latitudes all the way to
Japan.

I think we're looking at the development of a persistent instability that
will affect us into January or February.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."