Snow, new skies but...

Old March 2nd 05, 07:24 AM
Marinus

Default Snow, new skies but...

We just got at least 30 cm of fresh snow, bought myself a pair of Atomic
sx:9 but

WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY MOUNTAINS HERE IN THE NETHERLANDS?

I would freely give up all of our natural gasreservers for one 1.000 meter
mountain ;-))

Marirnus

Old March 2nd 05, 07:32 AM
John Ricketts

We've even got 5 cms in Cheltenham! Wish I'd brought my ski's to work,
theres a bit of a slope on the park opposite! (almost a GREEN run! ;-)) but
you'd have to hike back up!!

Old March 2nd 05, 07:48 AM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Marinus" wrote in message
We just got at least 30 cm of fresh snow, bought myself a pair of Atomic
sx:9 but

WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY MOUNTAINS HERE IN THE NETHERLANDS?

I would freely give up all of our natural gasreservers for one 1.000

meter
mountain ;-))

Marirnus

about 10 years ago I contemplated making myself a little drag lift.... money
and time were a factor and it did not happen.... then for the last 10 years
it hasn't snowed enough to make it worth while. Things are changing I
hope... have the cash now, could spare some time..... has anyone built
themselves a drag lift? Im going to google it now!

Paul

Old March 2nd 05, 08:07 AM
Marinus

about 10 years ago I contemplated making myself a little drag lift....
money
and time were a factor and it did not happen.... then for the last 10
years
it hasn't snowed enough to make it worth while. Things are changing I
hope... have the cash now, could spare some time..... has anyone built
themselves a drag lift? Im going to google it now!

Long rope, 2 flywheels(?) and a motor.
Would love to help you, but that might mean lots of travel for me;-) Where
do you live?

Marinus

PS it's still snowing here, coming close to 40 cm now and it will be below
zero for the rest of the week with a forcasted minimum of -15°C thursday
night / friday morning

Old March 2nd 05, 08:29 AM
Champ

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:32:58 +0000 (UTC), "John Ricketts"
wrote:

We've even got 5 cms in Cheltenham! Wish I'd brought my ski's to work,
theres a bit of a slope on the park opposite! (almost a GREEN run! ;-)) but
you'd have to hike back up!!

looks out of window of Cheltenham office

We have, haven't we. Which green slope are you referring to?

--
Champ

Old March 2nd 05, 10:09 AM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Marinus" wrote in message

about 10 years ago I contemplated making myself a little drag lift....
money
and time were a factor and it did not happen.... then for the last 10
years
it hasn't snowed enough to make it worth while. Things are changing I
hope... have the cash now, could spare some time..... has anyone built
themselves a drag lift? Im going to google it now!

Long rope, 2 flywheels(?) and a motor.
Would love to help you, but that might mean lots of travel for me;-) Where
do you live?

Marinus

PS it's still snowing here, coming close to 40 cm now and it will be below
zero for the rest of the week with a forcasted minimum of -15°C thursday
night / friday morning

Did a quick search and didn't turn too much up, a few pages.

I learned today that I need a 'bull wheel' pulley for the rope and that
special rope is
required that does not untwist

This page for a home built rope tow
http://makesnow0.tripod.com/msap.html

This page for some special un-revolving rope
http://www.machovec.com/rope/sno_tow.htm

That with an engine and a gearbox would be pretty good

Had an idea that I could remotely control the speed of the engine so that I
could slow it down to grab hold of it and then speed it up until I reach the
top. Obvously this would assume that I am the only one using it.

im over in england btw, near leeds with lots of potential hills to ski given
a little bit of snow

Paul

Old March 2nd 05, 11:00 AM

I recall seeing a portable ski tow years ago
on a hotel lawn in Aviemore.

IIRC it looked quite like a portable generator and
could have been carried by one person.

I have also heard rumours of old tractors being used
with no tyre on rear wheel and a bit of rope.

Google for [portable ski tow] returns a fair bit:

http://www.skilift.nashacanada.com/
Gasoline model with 5HP. Engine

Productivity ~150 liftings per hour.
Lifting speed 18-30 km/h, 11-18 mph.
Gripping speed 5-8 km/h, 3-5 mph.
Drive units weight 25 kg. (gasoline)
Introductory basic retail price - $480 USD
Installation time approx. 15 min.
Removal time approx. 5 min.
Recommended length og slope 150 m, 480 feet.

http://www.vleky.cz/lpve1_5_100/index_en.htm
"Type LPVE 1.5 - 100 is the smallest type, that
is equiped with the drive of 1.5 kw or 2.2 kw."

looks to be a smaller one - 1.5kw is about 2bhp.

Old March 2nd 05, 11:12 AM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There is a small slope near us that opens when it snows, he has a generator
size engine in a frame with a welded up pulley on it.