Low cost long weekend.

Old March 1st 05, 03:04 PM
CE

Default Low cost long weekend.

Good day everyone.

I'm looking to organise a long skiing weekend for some friends and
myself in late Jan, early Feb next year. We all usually go skiing with
our families and we've had the idea of going on a "gentleman's weekend"
without the family (so not using up too much valuable holiday).

My initial thought is that we could shoot off to Liverpool airport
after work on Thursday (maybe Wednesday) and catch an EasyJet to
Geneva, then maybe hire a car (depending on numbers) to somewhere close
like Morzine. Four (or five) days skiing, then head back Monday night
- using up only 2 (or 3) days annual leave.

Has anyone got any advice / suggestions / experience of this sorth of
thing?

TIA

CE

Old March 1st 05, 03:53 PM
John Ricketts

How basic (cheap) do you want to go??

Easyjet flights are cheapest mid-week (£80 return Geneva). You can stay in
a lodge in Chamonix for £10 per night, car hire will be about £200 between
you, then lift passes and gear. We can do 4 days in Cham for about £400
each, all in.

Alternatively, for half the price (about £200), and using your own motor,
you can have a caravan and 4 or 5 days skiing in Scotland (but don't book
more than 10 days in advance :-) )

oups.com...

Old March 1st 05, 03:56 PM
Steve

We do this quite regularly but usually to Flaine as it's an easy drive
from Geneva, but Morzine shouldn't be too much different. The other
reason we choose Flaine is it's ski to the door if you get the right
apartment and there's never any lift queues out of peak season = more
time on the mountain for long weekenders. Also Flaine seems to be one of
the few resorts that lets you book apartments for long weekends as
opposed to Sat-Sat only.

Tips... Last flight out will give you all of your final day skiing... If
there's more that about 5 of you it's cheaper to get a minibus transfer
that to hire a car... If you can afford it, book the apartment for an
extra night, that way you've somewhere to store you gear and change at
the end of your last day.

We're doing exactly this at easter... 5 full days skiing for 1 day work
leave.

Steve

:

Old March 1st 05, 04:13 PM
Paul Schofield

"CE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Good day everyone.

I'm looking to organise a long skiing weekend for some friends and
myself in late Jan, early Feb next year. We all usually go skiing with
our families and we've had the idea of going on a "gentleman's weekend"
without the family (so not using up too much valuable holiday).

My initial thought is that we could shoot off to Liverpool airport
after work on Thursday (maybe Wednesday) and catch an EasyJet to
Geneva, then maybe hire a car (depending on numbers) to somewhere close
like Morzine. Four (or five) days skiing, then head back Monday night
- using up only 2 (or 3) days annual leave.

Has anyone got any advice / suggestions / experience of this sorth of
thing?

TIA

CE

How many of you?

We stayed in Chalet Montana in Montriond - next town to Morzine - (
www.skiwhitegold.co.uk ) for 8 days skiing and the owners did ski/boot hire,
sorted ski passes in advance and also did the transfers from the airport.
Excellent food in Chalet (with Sauna, Pool Table and Bar!) was £300 ppw -
IIRC pro-rata for shorter stays. Free bus to Les Lindarets runs from the end
of the drive.

Real advantage of this arrangement is you are ready to ski straightaway on
your first morning. Only problem is Wednesday is chalet staff day off no so
food would be available if you chose to fly then, also a bit far out of
Morzine if you want night life every night.

No connection, but happy to pass on info about good holiday

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old March 1st 05, 09:28 PM
Iain Miller

I'm looking to organise a long skiing weekend for some friends and
myself in late Jan, early Feb next year. We all usually go skiing with
our families and we've had the idea of going on a "gentleman's weekend"
without the family (so not using up too much valuable holiday).

My initial thought is that we could shoot off to Liverpool airport
after work on Thursday (maybe Wednesday) and catch an EasyJet to
Geneva, then maybe hire a car (depending on numbers) to somewhere close
like Morzine. Four (or five) days skiing, then head back Monday night
- using up only 2 (or 3) days annual leave.

Has anyone got any advice / suggestions / experience of this sorth of
thing?

Done this the last 3 years - 7-9 of us to Austria. We fly on Friday night to
either Zurich or Munich, hire cars, stay in cheap pre-booked hotel en-route
to resort, get up early & get to resort by 8 on Saturday, Ski for 5 days
solid, fly home weds night. Part of the fun of it is seeing how cheaply we
can do it. This year it was a shade over £200 each for flight, hire cars,
1st night hotel & 4 nights in resort (!)

I.

Old March 1st 05, 10:03 PM
Steve Haigh

CE wrote:
Good day everyone.

I'm looking to organise a long skiing weekend for some friends and
myself in late Jan, early Feb next year. We all usually go skiing with
our families and we've had the idea of going on a "gentleman's weekend"
without the family (so not using up too much valuable holiday).

My initial thought is that we could shoot off to Liverpool airport
after work on Thursday (maybe Wednesday) and catch an EasyJet to
Geneva, then maybe hire a car (depending on numbers) to somewhere close
like Morzine. Four (or five) days skiing, then head back Monday night
- using up only 2 (or 3) days annual leave.

Has anyone got any advice / suggestions / experience of this sorth of
thing?

Yep, it's easily done. I've done it a couple times now to Les Carroz (an
hour from Geneva).

Rather than fly out mid-week I would fly out first thing on Saturday,
ski Sat PM and then return Mon/Tues/Weds evening depending on how long
you want the weekend to be. There are flights to Liverpool at about 8
ish in the evening, so you can ski all day on the last day.

The reason for going on a Sat is to help get the accomodation sorted -
hotels and chelets don't like doing weekends from Thurs or Fri to the
next week because you effectivly block 2 weeks of their normal (Sat -
Sat) weeks. If you arrive on a Saturday they can still fill the previous
week.

We have also done self catering and booked a place for the whole week,
but only used it until the Wednesday. Sounds like a waste but it was
still good value (about €100 each for the apartment I think).

As for places, I've stayed here before http://www.lescarrozski.com/ -
very firendly British owners, great food and they'll pick you up at the
airport for €100 (total, not each). They normally book by the week but
in mid Jan they may be happy to take you, especially if you arrive on a
Saturday.

HTH,
Steve
Old March 2nd 05, 08:20 AM
CE

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd forgotten Flaine/Les Carroz was that close to Geneva (Les Carroz
was my first skiing week, a school trip, back in about 1977, so forgive
me if I don't remember the transfer too well).

Austria sounds interesting too!

Thanks again,

CE

Old March 2nd 05, 09:59 AM
AH

http://www.skiweekends.com

Unfortunately, unless you get some really good deals, it almost costs as
much to do a weekend as it does to do a week..

Old March 2nd 05, 10:55 AM
Paul Healy

I've done Davos Switzerland for weekends before and it worked well. Fly into
Zurich (1.5 hours) and train transfer from Zurich Airport to Zurich HB,
Zurich HB to Landquart, and Landquart to Davos Platz took 2 hours 40 mins
(allow 3 hours). Ski Jacobshorn side as you get off the train and find
accommodation at numerous hotels/ B & B. I like Club Hotel Davos 3* Half
board hotel http://www.clubhotel.ch/ . The owners are friendly and don't rip
you off. Even telephone calls from your hotel room were cheap!
Not sure whether Easy Jet go to Zurich from Liverpool though.
Paul

Old March 2nd 05, 09:20 PM
Mark Hunter

Another option - evening flight to Lyon (or Geneva), hire car to the
Maurienne valley. Stay in a Logis hotel in the valley (St Michel or St
Jean) - very cheap generally. Then can access Val Thorens via the Orelle
gondala (900 - 2400 m) or if weather poor lower level skiing in the Sybelles
area, Valloire or smaller areas off the valley going up to the Frejus
tunnel. At the end of the trip it is a 2 hour drive back to the airport to
get home before 11pm :-)

Mark Hunter