Stout Skis/Skinny Skins

Old January 23rd 04, 01:19 AM
Tommy T.

Default Stout Skis/Skinny Skins

What kind of trouble might I encounter if I use my old full length 50mm
skins on my new parabolic skis that are 60mm under foot to 106mm at the
shovel?

Thanks.

Tommy T.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:19 AM
Doug

They should work fine most of the time. Just be careful traversing very
steep slopes where the skis are on edge. You obviously won't have a lot of
skin in contact with the snow near the tip and tail of the ski when the ski
is on edge.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:55 AM
Hal Murray

What kind of trouble might I encounter if I use my old full length 50mm
skins on my new parabolic skis that are 60mm under foot to 106mm at the
shovel?

They won't climb as well. Roughly, your weight is distributed over the
area of the ski, and the part of the ski that isn't covered by the
skin won't stick. What fraction of the ski is that? (Put them on
and eyeball it.)

Give it a try ...

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old January 23rd 04, 03:28 PM
Ulrich Hausmann

Doug wrote:

They should work fine most of the time. Just be careful traversing very
steep slopes where the skis are on edge. You obviously won't have a lot of
skin in contact with the snow near the tip and tail of the ski when the ski
is on edge.

agreed. That's exactly what i experience - i would limit your
consideration re the steeps to icy steeps or with hard packed snow. With
soft snow there isn't a problem at all ... [1]

Greetings,

Ulrich

[1] I'm using Edelrid 60mm straight skins with 116 - 78 - 103 skis
--
reply to: uhausmannATbluemailDOTch
Old January 23rd 04, 06:56 PM
Fern

Doug wrote:

They should work fine most of the time. Just be careful traversing very
steep slopes where the skis are on edge. You obviously won't have a lot of
skin in contact with the snow near the tip and tail of the ski when the ski
is on edge.

Yeah what he said. This isn't to say you can't make upward
progress on edgy slopes, but you need to take care to do
more sidestepping than sliding (keep skis perpendicular to
fall line). Also if you leave the skis ON while skiing down
(rolling terrain on a tour or wherever), they'll be
squirrelly as you switch from edges to bases and the brakes
go on.

For touring I prefer to have a reasonable amount of ski
uncovered by skins. Less drag overall, better glide, at the
only expense of being able to crank straight up the steepest
slopes.

-f
Old January 26th 04, 01:06 AM
allen

"Tommy T." wrote in message
What kind of trouble might I encounter if I use my old full length 50mm
skins on my new parabolic skis that are 60mm under foot to 106mm at the
shovel?

Thanks.

Tommy T.

On steep traverses-when the base is barely in contact with the snow and the
edges are most in use- you'll fine that it barely makes any difference at
all. On the other hand, if planning on climbing at steep angles you'll find
that performance is relative not only to how much base is covered but also
to how much is exposed. If you are planning to do alot of steep skinning,
invest in skins sized to trim wall to wall and save yourself much effort.

Old January 26th 04, 05:03 PM
Tommy T.

Thanks everybody. The responses pretty much bore out my guess as to
results.

The immediate application I have in mind involves skinning straight up
graded summertime hiking trails with no serious steeps and no traversing. I
assumed that climbing traverses on a firm surface would be out of the
question and that I would lose some uphill traction that would show up if
the pitch got steep or or the surface hard.

I suspect that I'll be OK for the first trip with the new skis and the old
skins. Thereafter . . . well, I'll see where I'm going with these things
and make that decision when the time comes.

Tommy T.

Old January 27th 04, 07:02 PM
Edward Wood

IMO you will have a bunch of trouble climbing steep skin tracks since you
will have so much ski showing outside the skin area. If you set your own you
will be fine, but if you try to follow tracks set by folks with shape skins
or split boards with full carpet, you will be suffering. you should probably
get new skins maybe 85 mm and trim to fit the underfoot width.