Austria New Year 2005

Old February 23rd 05, 07:11 PM
Neil Cooper

Default Austria New Year 2005

My wife and I, both in our 50s and fairly ordinary intermediate skiers
would like to spend this new year ski-ing in Austria. We would therefore
be grateful for any recommendations on which resorts and hotels in
resorts. Our requirements a
Easyish ski-ing
Quiet resort
Ski to door if possible

We usually fly one of the budget airlines, rent a car and book hotels
over the Internet.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Cooper
Old February 24th 05, 12:47 AM
AH

New Years is possibly the most busy week of the year, so a quiet resort
might be hard to find.

Old February 24th 05, 05:48 PM
Roy

My wife and I, both in our 50s and fairly ordinary intermediate skiers
would like to spend this new year ski-ing in Austria. We would therefore
be grateful for any recommendations on which resorts and hotels in
resorts. Our requirements a
Easyish ski-ing
Quiet resort
Ski to door if possible

I skiied in Ellmau in 1997 - my first "proper" skiing season, when I decided
to stop messing about and got myself lessons and take up the sport in
earnest. Ellmau proved to be the perfect location.

Ellmau is a lovely little town, picture-postcard in fact, with little in the
way of apres-ski - you will not hear the 4pm to all hours racket one can
encounter in somewhere like Mayrhofen. There are some nice restaurants /
hotels - but no door to door skiing (that I can recollect). The place
exudes Tyrolean charm.

The ski lift is a short bus ride from the town centre and gives access to
the Soll area and beyond - it is literally an intermediates' paradise. I
never took much notice, but there may be accommodation to be had in the
vicinity of the lift - hence possibly door-door skiing.

Forget Soll itself - it is very Club 18-30 and, I'd imagine, torture at New
Year if you want a quiet time. Ellmau to Soll is about 30 mins by bus if you
wanted to go shopping. There are quite a few quiet Austrian resorts, but
Ellmau wins for me because you can access so much excellent, relatively
easy, skiing - some of the other resorts are very nice but you're confined
to one or two valleys - unless you are prepared to get a bus elsewhere - not
my idea of fun!

I think the nearest airport is Salzburg - don't remember the transfer time.

Roy

Old February 28th 05, 06:53 PM
FionaG

Dear Neil

We have spent the last two New Years skiing in Sallbach-Hinterglemm.
Both times we have stayed at the Hotel Lengauerhof in Hinterglemm.
(www.lengauerhof.at). The only down-side for you is that the hotel is
not ski in-ski out, but a very efficient bus service stops outside the
door and runs to lifts all down the valley. We also use our hire car
to get to some lifts - there is plenty of free parking at each one.

The hotel is lovely and the food great. We have never found the resort
to be too busy (no lift queues) and the mountain restaurants have
always been quite quiet for the time of year too.

The ski area is very large by Austrian standards and offers varied
skiing.

We have flown into Munich both times with BA and hired a car. The
journey is very easy, but takes about 3.5 hours. Salzburg is closer
though (about 2 hours I think).

I hope this info is of use.

Kind regards

FionaG

Old February 28th 05, 07:36 PM
Neil Cooper

FionaG wrote:
[...]

Fiona thanks. I had more or less decided that Saalbach-Hinterglemm was
where we should go to, so your post is most helpful. Ski in-ski out is
not hugely important as we too will have a car.

How far in advance do you book the hotel?

Kind regards

Neil

Old March 1st 05, 07:23 AM
FionaG

Hi Neil

I know that the hotel is normally full at New Year, so I normally
contact Robert Breitfuss, the owner, during the summer so that we are
sure to get the rooms. I think it is one of the most reasonably priced
in Hinterglemm. Just one word of warning though, they do have a lot of
families there at New Year, but the children have their own tea time
and it really is not a problem.

The hotel is located right at the end of the valley in a really pretty,
quiet spot. You can take a horse-drawn sleigh ride up to a mountain
restaurant from across the road.

Make sure you get snow tyres on the hire car - we've needed them for
the last two years.

Kind regards

Fiona

Old March 6th 05, 06:33 AM
Rob White

Just back from a very good week in Soll. From what you say about your
ability Soll would be perfect for you - nearly all blue and red runs, wide
and well pisted. Very good lift system and loads of mountain restaurants.
The slopes are 10 mins walk from the village but it's a 1st class ski-bus
service. Check out their website. I've a spare piste map or two if you
want one.

Rob