correct skiing-vs- foots flatboarding

Old February 8th 05, 05:03 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message news:Z%VNd.1119
But, IIRC you were quite geeked when you passed your level 2's and
considered it quite an accomplishment. So don't be too dismissive about
how easy it is. It wasn't. You know that. Remember the mogul test? I
rest my case.

I didn't think I had a hope. That I passed showed that it wasn't so hard
after all. Back home, level 2 is bloody hard and the failure rate is
phenomenal. Here, about 50% failed. but that was in a tough division.
Back home you have to do good controlled turns with one ski on, very
dynamic/aggressive short turns on black terrain and zipperline bumps (amoung
other things).

My own cynical take is that level 2's are dispensed in rough proportion to
the commercial demand for them. If a resort has an excess of level 2's,
those that have 'em are not exactly eager to create any more. But if
there's a shortage, the punters are promoted so that the operation can
claim "we've got X level 2 PSIA instructors." It's what happens when the
notion of Adam Smith free market capitalism collides with the guild/union
system.

Keystone actually had 100% pass rate at all levels. They trained us pretty
seriously for our exams at all levels, with a day-long training each week
plus evening trainings in demos and movement analysis (none of which was
paid, of course, but we didn't pay for the training, either). I commenced
training just after Xmas, and took my exam in April. My group had a
particularly tough examiner (he knew his stuff inside out, and writes a
pretty good Complete Encyclopaedia of Skiing to boot) so my experience
wasn't the standard one. I scored quite well in the moguls; my worst score
was for Open (basic) Parallel (I got 6). However, that same open parallel
was termed "excellent" when I attended a PSIA demo course for level 3
recently, so there you go.

It's fairly subjective, but I don't think that sujectivity dictates who
passes and who fails, merely how well you pass or how badly you fail.

I don't think there's any measurable demand for any level of certification.
Most people buying lessons do not know that there is a cert system. Most
assume their instructors are qualified in some way.

ant

Old February 12th 05, 01:12 AM
rosco

Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

"foot2foot" wrote

If I catch you messing around in my life, you are going to
jail right up into the day they bounce your butt out of the
country never to be allowed back in.

That crap is flat illegal now. Doesn't matter who,
or why, it's illegal.

I guess I lost the thread here. What has ant written or done that you find
illegal, exactly?

As near as I can tell, the thing that set him off was a one sentence
post that read in it's entirety: "What is more basic than balance?"

Holy overreaction, Batman!

I know that I, for one, would like to encourage the use of meds in
certain cases.

RAC

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM