Skis and Bindings to match Alico Ski Tour Skate Boots

Old January 14th 05, 03:35 PM
Ryan Pfleger

Default Skis and Bindings to match Alico Ski Tour Skate Boots

Hi I was looking for some an advice for a beginner on what skis and bindings
to match to a pair of leather Alico Ski Tour Skate Boots. They have a 6"
cuff and are a little beefier than the normal Ski Tours, but still no
plastic buckles. I have done a little BC and track skiing in the distant
past (I was probably 14), but more recently my only experience has been
alpine. I want an all around ski, with an emphasis on touring.
The two ski's I am looking at are the Fischer Rebound, and the Alpina Lite
Terrain. Would these be good ski's to match with the boots? Are there
others that come to mind? What about length? I am 5'11", 160lbs. Would
170's be right? 180's? What about bindings? I have been thinking about
Voile Hardwire 3-Pins. Is this more binding then I need, or would it be
useful at times?

Thanks

Ryan

Old January 14th 05, 05:30 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old January 14th 05, 08:25 PM
pinnah

I think you've found a good combo with some caveats.

"Ryan Pfleger" ryanpfleger at cableone dot net wrote:
Hi I was looking for some an advice for a beginner on what skis and bindings
to match to a pair of leather Alico Ski Tour Skate Boots.

I would classify this boot as an "Extreme class" boot, in reference to
the old Asolo Extreme from year's gone by.
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt.../bc-boots.html
A very versatile class of ski.

The two ski's I am looking at are the Fischer Rebound, and the Alpina Lite
Terrain.

I call both of these skis "Narrow Shaped" nordic backcountry skis.
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...r/bc-skis.html or
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...#NARROW-SHAPED

I would put these ski at the limit of what those boots can handle in
terms of width. You could also go with narrower skis. Depends on
what kind of skiing you want to do.

I have been thinking about Voile Hardwire 3-Pins. Is this more binding then I need, or would it be
useful at times?

I've not talked with many folks using the Hardwire with softer toed
leather boots. I've used the old style standard 3-Pin/Cable with
slightly bigger leather/plastic boots and have wished for more
torsional control on hardpack. But, I've found the regular cables to
be fine in all other conditions.

NOTE: I ski 90% of the time with no cables - especially with a light
boot like you are looking at.