Knee support recomendations?

Old October 6th 14, 12:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default Knee support recomendations?

The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/05/2014 04:59 PM, Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/05/2014 03:11 PM, Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/05/2014 12:11 PM, Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/05/2014 09:44 AM, Dick G wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 09:24:29 -0700 (PDT), Goober Jones
wrote:

Donjoy ski armor brace - bear in mind it needs to be sized
correctly and it comes in a left and right. It gives you all
the mobility to flex
your knees but is absolutely rigid from side to side. I know
professional bumpers that use them and closely related
derivatives are used by NFL players. The ski brace is a little
shorter top to bottom in order to accommodate ski boots.
Is this a custom brace? Where do you get them?

Last I heard it's not possible to make a brace tight enough to
keep you from injuring your knee from serious (bad fall, of
course) forces.

That what release bindings are for. Make sure they are loose
enough to come off before your knee gets hurt. Many people keep
them, in my opinion, way too tight. I set mine so I can twist
out of them when I get to the lodge. If
they fall off on the hill, I'm not skiing right. I've never hurt
my knee skiing.

The bindings prevent bone breakage, not necessarily damage to soft
tissue. I haven't been able to twist out of my bindings for a long
time, although I've been using 4.5 forever.

If they are set loose enough, they should be able to protect soft
tissue also. If you are getting weaker, maybe you should loosen
them. I do not let corporate manufacturer guidelines be my decider.
What your body can take without problem should be your max.

The curious thing is that since I've been doing weights I'm stronger
now than I ever was before, even when I was dirt-riding every
weekend. I wonder if binding technology has changed in some way in
the last 30 years? Fewer slow low-pressure releases but more fast
high-pressure releases or something...

I have Atomic Xentrix 310 bindings (new ones, replacing the
recalled ones) set to 4.5 (the appropriate setting), but I took a
nasty fall last year wherein the binding did NOT release,
tweaking my knee in some invisible way (yeah, I had an MRI) that
took a few months to recover from. I keep meaning to go back to
Sport Chalet and talk to the guy about this...

NEVER happened with Markers. They always released when I thought
they should and never pre-released.

Mine are set at 5, for a reasonably healthy 165 lb guy. The last
time I had bindings set by a shop, I told them to set them for an
absolute rookie, and they were still too tight for my taste. They
would not set them looser. I had to do it.

I don't like to set them to close to the bottom setting, which is
why I havn't reset them already. Ponder...

Mine are always set near the bottom setting.

Try setting them low enough to twist out of them one at a time by
twisting your leg. Maybe start at the minimum. Then increase until
you can't twist out. How does that compare to your current setting?
Then think about how much more you want to go, if any, or even back
off to where you can twist out.

Good idea. I should haul out my old skis and see if I can still
twist out of them. I saved them (Hexel orange) because they were the
first skis I owned.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the setting numbers on old bindings have
little similarity to modern bindings. Certainly, different types of bindings in
the old days had big differences in results for the same #.

I had a few pairs of hexcels, and a pair of ski mountaineering skis made by
hexcel (Ramers?) over the years. They were wonderful skis, and the light weight
was great for walking up hills.

Old October 6th 14, 01:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 17:36:09 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 10/05/2014 04:42 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 16:25:05 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Mine are set at 5, for a reasonably healthy 165 lb guy. The last
time I had bindings set by a shop, I told them to set them for an
absolute rookie, and they were still too tight for my taste. They
would not set them looser. I had to do it.

I don't like to set them too close to the bottom setting, which is
why I havn't reset them already. Ponder...

Wuss. I take a screwdriver, (easy on the orange juice,) and crank
them up as far as I can. That's the way a manly man skis.

So glad to hear it. Unfortunately I seem to lack a few of your
qualifications.

Face it. You don't have the nads.

Today at the gym I watched a guy stack up those sturdy metal
platform-things to at least 4 feet high and repeatedly jump on top of
them from the floor. I now understand how it was possible for that guy
to jump the White House fence by grabbing the crossbar and levering
himself over the top kind of like pole-vaulters do.

I guess that's how manly men jump.

Like I says.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old October 6th 14, 05:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Only crazy people walk up hills -- present company excepted, of course.
Light is good. So is heavy as long as you don't have to lift a foot
for any reason. I really liked my stainless steel Volants.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."
Old October 6th 14, 12:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 22:32:14 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

hexcel (Ramers?) over the years. They were wonderful skis, and the light weight
was great for walking up hills.

Only crazy people walk up hills -- present company excepted, of course.
Light is good. So is heavy as long as you don't have to lift a foot
for any reason. I really liked my stainless steel Volants.

Even my showfer doesn't walk up hills.

Old October 10th 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 10/5/2014 1:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Last I heard it's not possible to make a brace tight enough to keep you
from injuring your knee from serious (bad fall, of course) forces.

It is most certainly possible to make a brace tight enough to keep you
from injuring your knee.

Just crank it down tight until it hurts so bad that you wouldn't even
think about skiing. You'll be quite safe.

HTH, HAND.

--
//Walt
Old October 10th 14, 09:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/10/14 1:20 PM, Walt wrote:
On 10/5/2014 1:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Last I heard it's not possible to make a brace tight enough to keep you
from injuring your knee from serious (bad fall, of course) forces.

It is most certainly possible to make a brace tight enough to keep you
from injuring your knee.

Just crank it down tight until it hurts so bad that you wouldn't even
think about skiing. You'll be quite safe.

HTH, HAND.

Most people die in bed.
Don't sleep.
Old October 10th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Friday, October 10, 2014 4:26:11 PM UTC-5, lal_truckee wrote:

Most people die in bed.
Don't sleep.

Naah, just don't sleep in bed.

Die on the floor, on the stairs, in the back yard -- dead is still dead.

It's how you live that matters.
Old October 10th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Friday, October 10, 2014 2:26:11 PM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 10/10/14 1:20 PM, Walt wrote:

On 10/5/2014 1:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Last I heard it's not possible to make a brace tight enough to keep you

from injuring your knee from serious (bad fall, of course) forces.

It is most certainly possible to make a brace tight enough to keep you

from injuring your knee.

Just crank it down tight until it hurts so bad that you wouldn't even

think about skiing. You'll be quite safe.

HTH, HAND.

Most people die in bed.

Don't sleep.

Sleep can be dangerous - In January 91, we stayed at the Mammoth Mt Inn one weekend. The roads were a bitch because of heavy snow the night before so we didn't get to the hotel until 3AM. However, I had to be out in the freshies, so I got started early. Later, while taking a noon nap, I fell out of the unfamiliar bed and dislocated my shoulder.
Old October 11th 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 10/10/2014 03:47 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

Sleep can be dangerous - In January 91, we stayed at the Mammoth Mt
Inn one weekend. The roads were a bitch because of heavy snow the
night before so we didn't get to the hotel until 3AM. However, I had
to be out in the freshies, so I got started early. Later, while
taking a noon nap, I fell out of the unfamiliar bed and dislocated my
shoulder.

Your story has touched my heart. Please accept this post as a token of
my sympathy.

I dislocated my collarbone by thinking that a 6-foot dropoff was --
somehow -- a motorcycle trail heading down into the wash. The inner end
of the collarbone still pokes outward a bit, but the motorcycle was just
fine.

--
Cheers, Bev
" While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.

Knee support recomendations? Goober Jones Alpine Skiing 2 October 6th 14 01:34 AM
EPO support 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 1 October 13th 05 09:44 AM
Quality knee brace for acl/mcl support? Dick Gozinya Alpine Skiing 55 February 25th 05 08:30 PM
Ski recomendations Darren Atter European Ski Resorts 2 December 19th 03 05:17 PM
Resort Recomendations AJ European Ski Resorts 5 August 28th 03 09:28 PM