Knee support recomendations?

Old October 5th 14, 04:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

Default Knee support recomendations?

No, it isn't a custom brace. I got mine through betterbraces.com.
Take great care in measuring your thigh, use a cloth measuring tape.
The point you measure is usually 6 inches above the knee. Google
donjoy.
Old October 6th 14, 12:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 10/5/14 9:51 AM, Goober Jones wrote:

it isn't a custom brace.

Over the counter knee supports are not going to do much. Custom made and
fitted braces are only slightly better. It's primarily a money making
scheme like fancy vitamins. Maybe a slight positive effect, likely no
downside type thing, so we keep using them.

The wife has been skiing without an ACL for about 25 years now, and has
a custom brace which she says is a psychological aid primarily.
My bad knees depend on store bought sleeves - over the years some had
hinged metal, currently just neoprene stretch - which mainly just keep
my knees warm and therefore flexible and reduce post ski pain.
It's mostly a habit.

Unless a reputable sports orthopedic surgeon specifies a specific model
I wouldn't wear a hinged brace. Misalignment of the joint and hinge can
itself tear up the knee.
Old October 6th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:24:57 PM UTC-4, lal_truckee wrote:
On 10/5/14 9:51 AM, Goober Jones wrote:

I disagree with this post. I have had discussions with orthopedic surgeons on this
topic (since I worked on an orthopedic surgical unit) as real as professors
of anatomy in nursing school (My senior professor in anatomy wore this type of brace
riding motocross. If the brace is properly fitted it can provide protection and stabilization.
The key is proper fitting. If you are uncomfortable doing yourself get your orthopedic surgeon
to do the fitting/

EPO support 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 1 October 13th 05 09:44 AM
Quality knee brace for acl/mcl support? Dick Gozinya Alpine Skiing 55 February 25th 05 08:30 PM
Recomendations for skate ski, boot eraas Nordic Skiing 8 February 9th 05 01:55 AM
Ski recomendations Darren Atter European Ski Resorts 2 December 19th 03 05:17 PM
Resort Recomendations AJ European Ski Resorts 5 August 28th 03 09:28 PM