I realise I'm the new guy in these parts...

Old September 23rd 14, 02:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

Default I realise I'm the new guy in these parts...

ROFLMAO! Funny how he attempts to turn himself into a victim ,particularly
since he started flinging the child molestation charges 15 years ago and has physically
threatened anyone who dares mock his aberrant behavior. I do think that the way he hides
behind that poor abused dog shows what a heinous creature he is.
Old September 23rd 14, 06:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/22/2014 05:08 PM, Walt wrote:

Anyway here's the lay of the land:

http://xkcd.com/802_large/

It's a map of online communities circa 2010, scaled according to usage.
Usenet is still there! But I'm sure it's changed since then and usenet
is even smaller. See if you can find it - think of it as a "Where's
Walt" puzzle and invite your friends.

I gave up. Not all that depressing since I never participated in 98% of
what's shown, but spending 10 minutes on a fruitless search WAS :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 23rd 14, 11:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 9/23/2014 2:42 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/22/2014 05:08 PM, Walt wrote:

Anyway here's the lay of the land:

http://xkcd.com/802_large/

It's a map of online communities circa 2010, scaled according to usage.
Usenet is still there! But I'm sure it's changed since then and usenet
is even smaller. See if you can find it - think of it as a "Where's
Walt" puzzle and invite your friends.

I gave up. Not all that depressing since I never participated in 98% of
what's shown, but spending 10 minutes on a fruitless search WAS :-(

HINT: it's between the islands of Twitter and Skype at the northeast end
of the Sea of Protocol Confusion.
Old September 23rd 14, 04:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
your name

On Monday, September 22, 2014 4:10:36 PM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:

And they demand passwords. I've got a multi-page text file of my
passwords for various sites, even though I tend to use the same ones for
sites where I really don't care about "security". Some of the assholes
even want capital letters and numbers as if the site was actually important.

Old September 23rd 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

On 2014-09-23 16:47:27 +0000, your name said:

On Monday, September 22, 2014 4:10:36 PM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:
And they demand passwords. I've got a multi-page text file of my
passwords for various sites, even though I tend to use the same ones
for sites where I really don't care about "security". Some of the
assholes even want capital letters and numbers as if the site was
actually important.

Just get a password manager addon for your browser. I use LastPass.
You access it with just a single password of your choosing. It keeps
track of what password goes with what website, and can generate random
passwords of any desired length, with whatever special items the
website wants, like capital letters, number or special characters, etc.
It brings up a dialog box for that. You can install it on Firefox,
Chrome, or IE, and on multiple PCs - you have a single account with it,
and it keeps track cross-platform and cross-browser. Solves a lot of
problems.

Or just start using a Mac which comes with "Keychains"...

Old September 23rd 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
your name

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:50:45 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

Or just start using a Mac which comes with "Keychains"...

I hate Macs. I have a Macboook Pro but never use it.

Old September 23rd 14, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Monday, September 22, 2014 11:34:23 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/22/2014 04:02 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:02:27 -0700, The Real Bev

wrote this crap:

Anyway, I really miss usenet. Posting links was good enough.

Aren't you on usenet now?

It's not like it was. I still read the groups I used to, but I find few

posts and posters. The tech groups are more active, of course. And the

mozilla groups via nntp are still alive, but I've been banned from two

of the support.* groups because of off-topicality -- even when my posts

are completely on-topic. Fortunately the unmoderated group is useful --

lots of other people have been banned too.

--

It started eroding years ago. The ISP I use (Cox Communications) has no clue about usenet, and apparently just dropped it when @home, which they used as an email conduit, and which had fairly good usenet integrated into its email access page, went out of business. Even in the good days, ISPs started dropping legitimate, busy, uncorrupted newsgroups like sci.chem. So now I use google groups for the few newsgroups I find interesting, but do most of my online gossiping through forums designed to be web-based. Only one of them charges a fee, and that only for advanced features like looking up who "thanked" one of your postings.
Old September 23rd 14, 06:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:47:27 AM UTC-7, your name wrote:
[...]

I shouldn't say this, but I use the same password for most sites that require it, or add a suffix specific to that site. For example, my password to Google Groups is default passwordgg. I also use "password" as my password to my laptop user account - I read somewhere that that is the most common password people use.

I used to work at a place that required a new password every 90 days, and required that the password be at least 8 characters, and have at least one lower case, one upper case, on number, and one non-alphnumeric character. My solution was to use geometric passwords, such as upper left corner, which did not require me to memorize the individual characters, but which allowed easy entry of 12wq!@WQ

Old September 23rd 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On 2014-09-23 16:47:27 +0000, your name said:

[...]

Windows offers to "remember" my passwords, but on some sites gets my login name wrong.