Oranges

Old September 8th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Oranges

Here's a poem written by a long board ski racer during the 1860's,
published in a gold town newspaper. It should help us endure until the
snows come...

Down the mountain side, like birds in flight,
or meteors on a starry night -
bending low to miss the breeze,
flying past the stately trees,
rushing down to the flat below,
dancing over the "beautiful snow",
falling, rolling, seeing stars...
then hear the laughing crowd's hurrahs.

Away down the valleys, where the oranges grow,
they miss all the fun we have in the snow.
Old September 8th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Here's a poem I wrote describing this cowardly, smarmy, manipulative
psychopath:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Bob Thompson accused me of molesting children, and you set a coffee
date with him, which means you are a pathetic, laughable, amoral
asshole.

Old September 8th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 8, 11:20*am, lal_truckee wrote:
Here's a poem written by a long board ski racer during the 1860's,
published in a gold town newspaper. It should help us endure until the
snows come...

Down the mountain side, like birds in flight,
or meteors on a starry night -
bending low to miss the breeze,
flying past the stately trees,
rushing down to the flat below,
dancing over the "beautiful snow",
falling, rolling, seeing stars...
then hear the laughing crowd's hurrahs.

Away down the valleys, where the oranges grow,
they miss all the fun we have in the snow.

‘Will you ever go skiing together in the States ?’ George said.
‘I don’t know,’ said Nick.
‘The mountains aren’t much,’ George said.
‘No,’ said Nick. ‘They’re too rocky. There’s too much timber and
they’re too far away.’
‘Yes,’ said George, ‘that’s the way it’s in California.’
‘Yes,’ Nick said, ‘that’s the way it is everywhere I’ve ever been..’
‘Yes,’ said George, ‘that’s they way it is.’

From "Cross-Country Snow" by Ernest Hemingway.

The entire story is presented here, with other Hemingway bits:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51039
Old September 8th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 9/8/10 1:05 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

From "Cross-Country Snow" by Ernest Hemingway.

I also like his passages about skiing Austria in A Movable Feast.
Old September 9th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Default FAO Seth Masia was Oranges

On 09/09/2010 00:54, lal_truckee wrote:
On 9/8/10 1:05 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

From "Cross-Country Snow" by Ernest Hemingway.

I also like his passages about skiing Austria in A Movable Feast.

I liked the writing in Snow Death, but we still haven't had
THE LAST F**CKING CHAPTER !!!!
Old September 9th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sep 9, 5:42*am, BrritSki wrote:
On 09/09/2010 00:54, lal_truckee wrote:

On 9/8/10 1:05 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

From "Cross-Country Snow" by Ernest Hemingway.

I also like his passages about skiing Austria in A Movable Feast.

I liked the writing in Snow Death, but we still haven't had
THE LAST F**CKING CHAPTER !!!!

I somehow think that the last thing Seth Masia wants is to be
associated with this ******** in any way.
One of many ski insiders who did not want their names attached to the
vileness of rsa. Maybe he didn't think lying to the cops over a
stupid newsgroup was commendable, eh, dumb****?
Not that the dishonest pussy ever showed any moral or ethical
standards, but such is life.
Old September 9th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 9/9/10 3:08 AM, Ted Waldron wrote:
In ,
Ted wrote:

In ,
wrote:

Here's a poem written by a long board ski racer during the 1860's,
published in a gold town newspaper. It should help us endure until the
snows come...

I highly doubt that they had "Longboard ski races" in the 1860s
anywhere in the US. The skis were like three meters long (over 10
feet), and weigh around 11 kilos/25pounds.

I was wrong, there were longboard ski races in the 1860s in some of
the California Mining Camps.. They seemed more like soap box derby
races.. However each camp had their own top racers...

http://www.tahoeculture.com/outside/...stern-skisport
-museum-boasts-california-skiing-legends-2/

I knew you'd find it. The race results were published in the gold town
newspapers, which still exist in the archives.

There are race revivals these days. IIRC Soda Springs hosts a
competition every spring. Boards are available to borrow if you'd like
to try?

The winners hit (hand-timed) 60+mph which made them the fastest people
on earth at the time. Nothing faster in 1860. I don't think they
realized it, or their papers would have made more of the point.

The ski museum you linked is worth a visit - right on I-80 just west of
Donner Summit. Plans are afoot to move the museum to Squaw Valley, but
not yet.

Also good is the Donner Summit museum at the Soda Springs exit.
Old September 9th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sep 9, 9:33*am, lal_truckee wrote:
On 9/9/10 3:08 AM, Ted Waldron wrote:

In ,
* Ted *wrote:

http://www.tahoeculture.com/outside/...e/western-skis...
-museum-boasts-california-skiing-legends-2/

I knew you'd find it. The race results were published in the gold town
newspapers, which still exist in the archives.

There are race revivals these days. IIRC Soda Springs hosts a
competition every spring. Boards are available to borrow if you'd like
to try?

I seem to remember some sort of event from when I lived on the N.
Shore. It was a ski race on barrel staves or something like that? And
I seem to remember that it was a throwback to the olden days.
Old September 9th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 9, 3:08*am, Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
*Ted Waldron wrote:

In article ,
*lal_truckee wrote:

Here's a poem written by a long board ski racer during the 1860's,
published in a gold town newspaper. It should help us endure until the
snows come...

* I highly doubt that they had "Longboard ski races" in the 1860s
anywhere in the US. *The skis were like three meters long (over 10
feet), and weigh around 11 kilos/25pounds. *

* I was wrong,

Buy yourself a Starbucks coffee.
Old September 9th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 9, 8:33*am, lal_truckee wrote:
On 9/9/10 3:08 AM, Ted Waldron wrote:

In ,
* Ted *wrote:

In ,
* *wrote:

[...]

People jumping off a cliff of sufficient height can get up to 120 mph,
but I don't think there was much call for a timed competition in those
days.