Hiking Half-dome

Old August 22nd 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Hiking Half-dome

On Aug 22, 9:42*am, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:35:22 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

On 8/20/10 1:44 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
I have added hiking to the top of Half-Dome in Yosemite to my bucket
list.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to pass on?

Traditionally you must carry a fifth of Cognac and fine crystal snifters
for the summit celebration.

Phooey. *who stands on tradition?

Carry a half gallon of rum and wear cheap sun glasses. *Drink the rum
and toss the glasses over the side.

That's leadership. *I'm always teaching leadership.

Any people climbing the face alpine style might not think so.
Old August 23rd 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Aug 21, 9:45*am, twobuddha wrote:
On Aug 20, 6:36*pm, twobuddha wrote:

On Aug 20, 5:17*pm, "Stuart" wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

On 8/20/10 1:44 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
I have added hiking to the top of Half-Dome in Yosemite to my bucket
list.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to pass on?

Traditionally you must carry a fifth of Cognac and fine crystal snifters
for the summit celebration.

Also, the fixed cable is more crowded than the Hillery Step on Everest, so
go out of tourist season at least. Pay attention to forecasts of afternoon
thunder showers: avoid lightening which has a perverse habit of knocking
climbers dead for being the highest point on the summit.

What happens if you lie on your back with your penis pointed upwards?

How do you think he got the name Dickless Henry?-

Hey, can I get some love here? *That is a hilarious line. *I'm still
giggling. *Almost as funny as "contact info?" or "EMERGENCY SOCCER
GAME!"
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Today I started my training program on Stonewall Peak in Cuyamaca
Rancho State Park. It is 2 miles from the parking lot to the summit,
985 feet elevation gain according to my GPS receiver, and the top
extreme stair stretch is about 90 feet. I figure I would have to to
the hike 5 times in a row to match the half-dome hike.

Now I have to figure out when to do it.
Old August 23rd 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Aug 20, 5:17*pm, "Stuart" wrote:

[...]

G_d I hate not living in CA or UT.
Old August 25th 10, 02:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Yesterday's training was down the north trail to Black's Beach, then
immediately back up (GPS puts the clifftop at 340 feet), across the
parking lot to the south trail, down to the beach and south to the
"elevator", back up to the north trail and up to my car. The waves
were mostly flat and the water was chilly, so I didn't bother with a
dip, even though I always have my Blacks' Beach swimsuit with me.
Old August 25th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Aug 25, 7:56*am, Richard Henry wrote:
Yesterday's training was down the north trail to Black's Beach, then
immediately back up (GPS puts the clifftop at 340 feet), across the
parking lot to the south trail, down to the beach and south to the
"elevator", back up to the north trail and up to my car. *The waves
were mostly flat and the water was chilly, so I didn't bother with a
dip, even though I always have my Blacks' Beach swimsuit with me.

Get in any EMERGENCY SOCCER? Maybe you just kicked a couple rocks
around and yelled GGGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!
Old September 8th 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Aug 25, 7:56*am, Richard Henry wrote:
Yesterday's training was down the north trail to Black's Beach, then
immediately back up (GPS puts the clifftop at 340 feet), across the
parking lot to the south trail, down to the beach and south to the
"elevator", back up to the north trail and up to my car. *The waves
were mostly flat and the water was chilly, so I didn't bother with a
dip, even though I always have my Blacks' Beach swimsuit with me.

I had just about given up the idea because of the collapsing logistics
- the last no-permit day before the cables are taken down is Oct 7,
and that doesn't mesh well with my soccer-fan itinerary. Then my
daughter told me today that she had talked with a friend at school who
did the climb last weekend, so now she wants to go, maybe as part of a
college-visit weekend. My backup plan if that doesn't work out is to
hike up to the last pitch in mid October (maybe I can do it without
the fullup cables?), and then do the whole thing next summer if that
doesn't work.

Old September 17th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 8, 4:47*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Looks like we're on for a Monday attempt after college visets in
northern california Saturday and Sunday. I bought my daughter a
climbing harness at REI last night. I thought she might be opposed to
it, but she picked a Black Diamond rig off the rack and said "Oh look
- purple", so we found one to fit her. Today I am shopping all over
town to fill out the gear list (flashlights, gloves, bottled water,
etc).