Tahoe Skiing?

Old November 27th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
jack

Default Tahoe Skiing?

I am visiting a friend who just moved to SF and we plan on going skiing in
Tahoe. I have a few questions; bear in mind that I have never skied outside
of NY before, and I am a competent but not daring skier.

1) What is the best time to go?
2) What resorts are best, and why?
3) Are the skis I use here for skiing on ice suitable, or should I rent
skis?
4) What the heck happened here?! I was last here a year ago and it was
pretty busy.

Old November 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

jack wrote:
I am visiting a friend who just moved to SF and we plan on going skiing in
Tahoe. I have a few questions; bear in mind that I have never skied outside
of NY before, and I am a competent but not daring skier.

1) What is the best time to go?

In winter. But seriously: it's a bit early
now, but I plan to be there the first week
in January and it should be quite good,
but February and March would be primo.

2) What resorts are best, and why?

Alpine Meadows, it's cheap and really good.
Homewood, very small, friendly, and interesting.
These need to be approached from the north side
of Lake Tahoe. If you are coming from SF, you
might like Kirkwood. It's on the west side of
the passes and to the south of the lake.

3) Are the skis I use here for skiing on ice suitable, or should I rent
skis?

Generally, leave your eastern skis at home (I do)
and rent from some off-mountain place the
cheapest thing they have, but bring your own
boots.

4) What the heck happened here?! I was last here a year ago and it was
pretty busy.

RSAModerated has never been really busy. Most of
us fire rounds and have our little flame wars
over on the unmoderated RSA. Many of us monitor
RSAM because occasionally someone like you has
a real skiing question and we don't want to
leave anyone out. Further, it's still a little
early in the season for lots to be happening
in the northern hemisphere.

Tahoe skiing jack Alpine Skiing 8 November 30th 08 04:03 AM
Tahoe spring skiing '08 taichiskiing Alpine Skiing 2 March 13th 08 01:09 PM
Skiing in Tahoe [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 December 22nd 07 03:42 AM
tahoe skiing report [email protected] Nordic Skiing 12 December 26th 05 05:23 AM
Beginning Skiing at Tahoe Amy Benson Snowboarding 4 January 29th 05 04:41 AM