I realise I'm the new guy in these parts...

Old September 23rd 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default I realise I'm the new guy in these parts...

On 2014-09-23 18:22:30 +0000, your name said:

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:50:45 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

Or just start using a Mac which comes with "Keychains"...

I hate Macs. I have a Macboook Pro but never use it.

Then why have it?

Old September 25th 14, 07:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/23/2014 09:47 AM, your name wrote:
On Monday, September 22, 2014 4:10:36 PM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:

And they demand passwords. I've got a multi-page text file of my
passwords for various sites, even though I tend to use the same
ones for sites where I really don't care about "security". Some of
the assholes even want capital letters and numbers as if the site
was actually important.

Just get a password manager addon for your browser.

Firefox has one, but it's not perfect -- I keep the list because I need
it. It used to remember both logname and password, but now it either
wants me to type the first letter of one (or both) of them, or insists I
put in the entire password. Damn nuisance at best. I don't mind
passwords for real stuff, but demanding I jump through hoops to comment
on a news article is ridiculous.

I use LastPass.
You access it with just a single password of your choosing. It keeps
track of what password goes with what website, and can generate
random passwords of any desired length, with whatever special items
the website wants, like capital letters, number or special
characters, etc. It brings up a dialog box for that. You can install
it on Firefox, Chrome, or IE, and on multiple PCs - you have a single
account with it, and it keeps track cross-platform and cross-browser.
Solves a lot of problems.

I know about that, but I'd worry about forgetting ITS password (or it
suddenly stopping working -- not all extensions keep working when TB/FF
updates) so I'd still keep the text file. Belt and TWO pair of
suspenders :-(

It requires an account elsewhere? Forget it.

--
Cheers, Bev
Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.

Old September 25th 14, 07:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/23/2014 04:46 AM, Walt wrote:
On 9/23/2014 2:42 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/22/2014 05:08 PM, Walt wrote:

Anyway here's the lay of the land:

http://xkcd.com/802_large/

It's a map of online communities circa 2010, scaled according to usage.
Usenet is still there! But I'm sure it's changed since then and usenet
is even smaller. See if you can find it - think of it as a "Where's
Walt" puzzle and invite your friends.

I gave up. Not all that depressing since I never participated in 98% of
what's shown, but spending 10 minutes on a fruitless search WAS :-(

HINT: it's between the islands of Twitter and Skype at the northeast end
of the Sea of Protocol Confusion.

Thanks. Even so, I could barely read it :-(

Old October 12th 14, 11:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
]v[etaphoid

twobuddha brought next idea :
On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:20:39 AM UTC-7, ] v [ etaphoid wrote:
But that twobuddha guy sounds really sick.

You fellows should really invoke the mercy rule, before he takes his

blind rage out on another defenceless animal...

Holy ****. Are you so deranged, so utterly without decency, so ridiculously
amoral that you can say that while hiding in anonymity and ignoring the filth
that is posted here daily? What an asshole!

I just want people to be nicer to you, friend. Is that such a bad
thing?