lite boards?

Old January 14th 04, 01:46 AM
Pete

Default lite boards?

What is the lightest 155ish, all-mountain board on the market? 2003
or 2004 models any brand? I have checked out a lot of web sites but
none give the weights of the boards.
Old January 14th 04, 06:17 AM
Jason Watkins

Some friends demoed the T6. It seemed exceptionally lite to me. My
friends verdict was that it was an ok board, but other than the
novelty of the weight, they didn't like it as much as other options.
Old January 14th 04, 08:14 AM
Arvin Chang

I've never ridden it, but my guess is the Palmer Honeycomb. They
advertise it as being the lightest on the market. It's pricey, I would
definitely give it a try if I had a chance, wouldn't buy it blind
though... anyone here try it? I would interested in seeing what people
think about it (yes... I really like my new Donek Incline, but that
doesn't mean I'm going to close my eyes to the rest of the snowboard
world). Burton's T6 aluminum honeycomb is similar I think... (not
sure).

Check it out at www.palmerusa.com

Look at reviews for it at

www.boardreviews.com
www.outdoorreview.com

So here's the question everyone is probably thinking... why do you
need the absolutely lightest all-mountain board? With proper
technique, a pound or two difference isn't going to effect you carving
much at all (although powder and tree riding might be affected). The
point is that lighter might be good, so long as it is stiff, can hold
an edge, and doesn't bounce around to much at high speed.

--arvin

Old January 14th 04, 09:21 AM
Colin Fraser

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
I've never ridden it, but my guess is the Palmer Honeycomb. They
advertise it as being the lightest on the market. It's pricey, I would
definitely give it a try if I had a chance, wouldn't buy it blind
though... anyone here try it?

Hi,

I picked up a 2002 165 Honeycomb half price in the sales last season and
find it to be an excellent board for general freeriding. Quite stiff and
holds an edge really well when carving and I found it good in the powder.
It is a bit of a handful in tight mogulled trees but that is probably down
to the length.

The honeycomb is certainly light but initially feels a bit fragile, however
after a season of use I've no worries about the durability - it seems to
handle knocks without any problems.

I don't really find any major advantage from its lack of weight (except for
when hiking) but I rarely hit the park or pipe where it might make more
difference. I dont know if it is really worth the £500 they were charging
for it brand new but for half that it's a good board.

Col

Old January 14th 04, 02:37 PM
Mike T

What is the lightest 155ish, all-mountain board on the market? 2003
or 2004 models any brand? I have checked out a lot of web sites but
none give the weights of the boards.

One thing to be careful about with very light boards - they may not
stand up to the punishment of freeriding as well as midweight boards.
Note that on Burton's site, they make it a point to warn you that rails
void the warranty on their ultra-light T6.

I have a 1999-2000 Salomon FRS. It's an extremely light (for it's
size, 165) BX board. It has the same hard ptex 4000 base as my "You
know who" boards do. However it dings up much easier... and so do the
edges. I believe that is the result of the core buckling from the
impacts, which in turn allows the edge to buckle and the base to cave in
somewhat.

So if you do get a super-light board, baby it!

Mike T

What is it with graphics on boards ….. Yello snow Snowboarding 8 December 6th 03 08:13 PM
Hammer Boards Sam Snowboarding 0 November 15th 03 03:49 AM
kids on boards Mike Snowboarding 7 September 23rd 03 04:26 PM
Help with buying Kids boards tg Snowboarding 3 September 10th 03 12:00 AM
Newer Higher end boards jeff Snowboarding 0 August 14th 03 05:15 PM