TV viewing figures for FIS

Old April 21st 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default TV viewing figures for FIS

International TV viewing figures for FIS this past season. For x-c
skiing, Eurosport led the way, with NRK 1 getting over 50% market share
for ski jumping and x-c, and close to that for nordic combined. Large
number of viewers watched the men's finale of the Tour de Ski. No
demographics given in the article, but the figures make me wonder
if Norwegian youth are really turning away from cross-country skiing,
as has been claimed at rsn from time to time.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/news/fisne...ctu_page_444=1

Gene
Old April 21st 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
anders

On Apr 21, 3:25*am, wrote:

International TV viewing figures for FIS this past season. For x-c
skiing, Eurosport led the way, with NRK 1 getting over 50% market share
for ski jumping and x-c, and close to that for nordic combined. Large
number of viewers watched the men's finale of the Tour de Ski. *No
demographics given in the article, but the figures make me wonder
if Norwegian youth are really turning away from cross-country skiing,
as has been claimed at rsn from time to time.

Nordic skiing is in the main daytime television and therefore a large
market share doesn't indicate an equally impressive number of
spectators. Well, OK: I cannot deny that it *is* impressive when, for
instance, 18-19% of the population stay tuned on a cross-country relay
or a ski jumping competition. (Peak figures in Finland; averages not
available right now.)

I also have a hunch that the demographics would be seriously skewed in
favour of older audiences. I cannot speak for Norway, but I've been
told that it is a growing concern for the commercial TV channels that
they cannot charge the high rates they used to for air time during
their large market share programs because they simply don't have
enough young viewers. Ice-hockey and football (during championship
events) are the only traditional sports programs where this segment
most coveted by advertisers has remained high.

But while I'm not sure that we should lament the fact that less and
less young people sit in front of the TV and watch the sport we love,
the sad state of affairs is nowhere more evident than on our everyday
neighbourhood x-c skiing tracks where I could spend days without
seeing a single skier between the ages of six and thirty.

Anders