Natasha Richardson

Old April 4th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

Default Natasha Richardson

"pigo" wrote in message

Are skiing injuries down by the millions since the helmet fad started?
I mean considering that NOBODY wore helmets not that long ago. And now
there is a pretty good percentage of people wearing them. If they were
that valuable there would be a reduction in injuries equal to the
numbers of helmets worn.

http://just****inggoogleit.com/

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/295/8/919
Results Head injuries accounted for 578 injuries (17.6%). Using a
helmet
was associated with a 60% reduction in the risk for head injury (odds
ratio [OR], 0.40; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.30-0.55; adjusted for
other risk factors) when comparing skiers with head injuries with
uninjured controls. The effect was slightly reduced (OR, 0.45; 95% CI,
0.34-0.59) when skiers with other injuries were used as controls. For
the
147 potentially severe head injuries, those who were referred to an
emergency physician or for hospital treatment, the adjusted OR was 0.43
(95% CI, 0.25-0.77). The risk for head injury was higher among
snowboarders than for alpine skiers (adjusted OR, 1.53; 95% CI,
1.22-1.91).

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7486/281

Results The adjusted odds ratio for helmet use in participants with any
head injury was 0.71 (95% confidence interval 0.55 to 0.92), indicating
29% reduction in the risk of head injury. For participants who required
evacuation by ambulance for head injuries, the adjusted odds ratio for
helmet use was 0.44 (0.24 to 0.81). Similar results occurred with the
case crossover design (odds ratio 0.43, 0.09 to 1.83). The adjusted
odds
ratio for helmet use for participants with any neck injury was 0.62
(0.33
to 1.19) and for participants who required evacuation by ambulance for
neck injuries it was 1.29 (0.41 to 4.04).

===============

That's just more statistics abuse. How many million skier days were
there
for those 578 injuries ? As a wild-assed guess lets say there were 5.78
millon skier days. That means there was a 1 in 10,000 chance of a head
injury without a helmet and a .6 in 10,000 chance of a head injury while
wearing one.

You do what you want, I'll take my chances helmetless thanks.

That is, in fact, the point.
If you go back to the beginning of the discussion you will discover that
most of us agreed that, although helmet use is safer it should remain an
individual's choice. Some (Pigo) held the position that helmet use was for
reasons other than personal safety. The statistics were a response to his
query regarding injury rates.- Hide quoted text -

And I rest my case. Helmet use does not do much. And most that I see
that wear them might convince themselves that they are wearing them
for "protection".

==============================

You rest your case without making a point.
The evidence presented contradicts your position and you have not presented
any countering evidence.

Old April 5th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Apr 4, 5:23*pm, pigo wrote:

And I rest my case. Helmet use does not do much.

Bull****. Let's go and hit our heads against some couloir-walls and
see how well you're doing wearing only your bandana.
Old April 6th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Apr 5, 9:02*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Apr 4, 5:23*pm, pigo wrote:

And I rest my case. Helmet use does not do much.

Bull****. Let's go and hit our heads against some couloir-walls and
see how well you're doing wearing only your bandana.

A bandana ????
Old April 6th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Evojeesus wrote:
On Apr 4, 5:23 pm, pigo wrote:

And I rest my case. Helmet use does not do much.

Bull****. Let's go and hit our heads against some couloir-walls and
see how well you're doing wearing only your bandana.

Please.

Horvath in a speedo was bad enough.

Don't make me contemplate Pigo wearing only a bandana.

//Walt
Old July 8th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 21:58:22 -0700, Ted Waldron
wrote this crap:

In article ,
Dave Stallard wrote:

Mighty was my fall upon that double-diamond slope.

What slope did you crash on at Whistler/Blackcomb?

I was there that day to witness this bold event. It was on a green
slope, called, "Lady Lane," and it was after he drank seven shots of
whiskey, four beers, and Keith Richard's blood. He also had a tray of
brownies, and injected himself with something with a greenish glow.

But worst of all, I saw him drop his rum flask. Not leadership.

And vote for Palin-Ahnold in 2012. (None of Keith Richard's blood.)

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me