best exercise to get fit for boarding???

Old February 10th 05, 04:48 AM
Jason Medeiros

Not to mention - yoga to get fit in 3 weeks time? I don't buy yoga as
primary conditioning for sports that require strength and muscular
endurance. It'll help you get more flexible for sure, but not in only 3
weeks. Not so much with building those quads either...

you obviously haven't tried bikram yoga...

--

jmed

Old February 10th 05, 07:09 AM
Waco Paco

hob wrote:
i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

cheers.

Spinning! I'm taking it and it works out your quads and calves and
glutes. It's pretty much like MTB but imagine on a 10% hill for an hour
and a half straight. It's best to mix up the positions. Switch from
standing, sitting, and play with the speeds.

And then do mad sit ups and work those triceps.

I actually have a good site that will give you the "Snowboard workout."
Check it out cuz he help rehabilitate Jake Burton.

http://homepages.together.net/~ronjav/sbtp/index.htm

-stu
Old February 11th 05, 02:26 AM

I ought to get a balance board.

I'd look at any activity that emphasizes balance. Obviously, the skill
sets developed during surfing and skateboarding would transfer nicely
to snowboarding, but don't overlook roller hockey and inline skating.

Old February 11th 05, 02:37 AM
Mike T

I ought to get a balance board.

I'd look at any activity that emphasizes balance. Obviously, the skill
sets developed during surfing and skateboarding would transfer nicely
to snowboarding, but don't overlook roller hockey and inline skating.

I have a wobble board, but my favorite snowboarding cross-training tool (at
least for balance) is this:

http://www.tierneyrides.com

I have never actually ridden a 4-wheeled skateboard so I can't compare.

It does feel quite a bit like (soft-boot) snowboarding, except it's a lot
harder to slow down and it challenges your balance more.

Mike T

Old February 11th 05, 04:24 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"Mike T" wrote in newsMVOd.20098$Dc.12114
@trnddc06:

I ought to get a balance board.

I have a wobble board, but my favorite snowboarding cross-training
tool (at least for balance) is this:

I've been using a Vew-Do balance board every since my ACL surgery.
http://www.vewdo.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21_24

One thing that Chris Klug wrote me at the time was to work on doing
this (and other things) with my eyes closed. Please move all hard
objects away from you if you try But in seriousness, even
alternating standing on one leg with your eyes closed for 30 secs
at a time helps. Sounds easy but you'd be surprised how quick you
start wobbling.
Old February 23rd 05, 01:36 PM
Jonathan Lewis

David, hope my advice isn't too late. Even if it is i think you should
consider doing some simple exercises that hit as many muscle groups as
posible and contribute to your overall fitness and conditioning, this
would contribute to fast and effective elevation of your fitness
levels. Obviously PLEASE ASSESS YOUR CURRENT FITNESS LEVELS HONESTLY,
DONT ATTEMPT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT 100% CLEAR ABOUT IN TERMS OF ITS
PURPOSE AND THE CORRECT ATTEMPT. COMMON SENSE IS REQUIRED PROGRESS AT
YOUR OWN SPEED.

BODY WEIGHT for strength/strength endurance: hindu push ups, hindu
squats, 1 legged squats (good choice!) all the way heel to butt, heel
flat on floor, burpees, hand stand push ups, bridge or wall walk into
bridge,

CONDITIONING for aerobic and anaerobic power: mountain climbers (alt
leg squat thrusts at speed) 60, 40 then 20 seconds. Hill sprints 45,
30, 15 sec x 2.

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: kettlebell snatches for high reps, barbell clean
and press, overhead squat with kettlebell or bar, kettlebell deadlift.

Good luck, work hard, enjoy. These drills will improve your
athleticism.

jonathan lewis

07960.861.267

"David" wrote in message ...
"hob" wrote in message oups.com...
i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles?

One leg squats with no weight seem to help for me.

i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

I've been cycling for years. It helps my overall fitness, but by itself
not enough for me to be fit for boarding.

Have fun.
David