Wanna do a 14ner this New Years Eve or Da

Old September 30th 03, 06:34 PM
Ken Reed

Default Wanna do a 14ner this New Years Eve or Da

I would like very much to join a team that is planning to do a 14ner
this New Year's Eve or Day. I have done 17 14ners so far, but they
have all been summer ascents. I have done some bigger mountains(Pico
de Orizaba(18,700 feet), Mexico; Chopicalqui(20,828 feet), Peru) that
required snow and ice work. I am also an avid 5.9-5.10 sport climber.

I have read of epic climbs of the Diamond on Long's New Year's Day.
That is NOT what I am looking for. I'm thinking something relatively
easy and safe, like Quandry or Shavano(hopefully something I haven't
already done).

I have most of the equipment I need, including a Walrus Expedition
tent, snow shovel, ice axe, plastic boots, crampons, etc. I lack
snow shoes, skiis, and a zero degree fahrenheit bag. I am hoping we
won't need avalanche beacons 'cause the route will be so safe.

If you have a team or want to form one, please contact me.

Thanks,
Ken Reed
paka.reed@p...
Old September 30th 03, 07:02 PM
foot2foot

Sell the tent, boots and crampons and get an
avalanch beacon. Make sure your partners do
the same.

Besides that, get the Avalung, and the inflatable
ballon backpack thing.

Failing those last two, at least get a probe as well.

There's only *one* thing you *really* need, and
that's a beacon. The other things you really need
are a probe and a shovel. Clothes are but a luxury.

om...

Old September 30th 03, 08:00 PM
Mike Garrison

foot2foot wrote:

There's only *one* thing you *really* need, and
that's a beacon. The other things you really need
are a probe and a shovel. Clothes are but a luxury.

I disagree. The one thing you really need is to not get
caught in an avalanche in the first place. You didn't say
where you wanted to climb, but in WA you significantly up
your danger if you decide you are going to climb on some
random particular winter day, regardless of weather
considerations. If you can't pick and choose the safer days,
your risk goes up.

-Mike (wondering if it is legal to "do a 14ner", or does
that vary state by state?)
Old September 30th 03, 08:38 PM
lal_truckee

Ken Reed wrote:

[...]

I doubt anyone would team for winter mountaineering until you get and
know how to use a beacon; and have basic avi prediction, search, and
rescue skills. Soooo, first things first.

(BTW, you any relation to THE Ken Read? - if you have to ask here in an
alpine skiing group, you aren't.)

Old September 30th 03, 10:14 PM
Jason Moore

"foot2foot" wrote in message
Sell the tent, boots and crampons and get an
avalanch beacon. Make sure your partners do
the same.

Besides that, get the Avalung, and the inflatable
ballon backpack thing.

Failing those last two, at least get a probe as well.

There's only *one* thing you *really* need, and
that's a beacon. The other things you really need
are a probe and a shovel. Clothes are but a luxury.

Sounds like someone is planning on gettin' caught by an avalanche.Try
thinking first, then worry about the gear.

If you choose the right route on the right mountain on the right day and are
willing to turn back or lower you goals for the day, there is no need for a
beacon. Avalanche avoidance is job one.

If you are looking to carve some turns - get a beacon - shovel - probe -
avalung and that balloon thing - because it is not a matter of IF but WHEN.

There are plenty of 14'ers in Colorado that you can climb safely without any
of that other stuff - as long as you don't leave your brain at the
trailhead.

Old October 1st 03, 02:14 AM
Bob Lee

foot2foot wrote:

Sell the tent, boots and crampons and get an
avalanch beacon. Make sure your partners do
the same.

Besides that, get the Avalung, and the inflatable
ballon backpack thing.

Failing those last two, at least get a probe as well.

There's only *one* thing you *really* need, and
that's a beacon. The other things you really need
are a probe and a shovel. Clothes are but a luxury.

Whoa, let's slow down a little here. An avy beacon is useless if 1)
your partner doesn't have one (and is proficient using it), and 2) your
beacon-proficient partner doesn't have a shovel. The probe is a close
third, but again, if your partner doesn't have a shovel, the probe won't
be much good - except maybe as a marker for the body-recovery crew. The
avalung and inflatable balloon backpack thing are debatable items. Hey,
how about an avy-rescue dog? Those are handy.

But let's back up a little for OP Ken. The
partners/beacons/shovels/probes kit (and practice) could be a good idea
if the approach covers or passes under ground that exceeds 20 degrees in
slope. I'm not that familiar with all the '14ners' but there might be
some you could get to without going through avy terrain.

Keeping in mind that Colorado is some of the most avalanche-prone
terrain in the US, Ken and his potential partners would do well to be
trained a bit about avalanches and terrain before they go (and maybe
they are), but it sounds like a lovely way to spend NYE.

Also Ken, I'll x-post your question in rec.skiing.backcountry.

Bob

om...

Old October 1st 03, 05:00 AM
SPeacock

Pikes Peak, out of Colorado Springs Colo.

There is a group been doing it for many, many years. The AdAMan club
hikes up, staying at Barr Camp overnight, then gets up to touch off
fireworks for the NY Eve. They ad a man (women too, actually) every
year. Actually they ad several each year.

That's about as mellow a walk as you can get. Safe, easy, generally low
avalanche risk.

Old October 1st 03, 02:45 PM
B. Cooke

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Bob Lee wrote:

avalung and inflatable balloon backpack thing are debatable items. Hey,
how about an avy-rescue dog? Those are handy.

Too funny... Every once in a blue moon I ski with my roomate; his Husky is
quite proficient as a rescue dog (or so I've been assured). Problem is:
the damned thing hates me, so I doubt its utility.

Old October 1st 03, 03:55 PM
MoonMan

In ,
B. Cooke typed:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Bob Lee wrote:

avalung and inflatable balloon backpack thing are debatable items.
Hey, how about an avy-rescue dog? Those are handy.

Too funny... Every once in a blue moon I ski with my roomate; his
Husky is quite proficient as a rescue dog (or so I've been assured).
Problem is: the damned thing hates me, so I doubt its utility.

Sorry to be an ignorant Brit, but what is a 14ner, apart from a very
succseful conker?

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 1st 03, 04:07 PM
Dave Stallard

MoonMan wrote:

Sorry to be an ignorant Brit, but what is a 14ner, apart from a very
succseful conker?

A mountain 14,000 ft high or higher. Quite a lot of those in Colorado.

Dave