Ahhh Spring skiing

Old March 15th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
DaveM

Default Ahhh Spring skiing

Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

DaveM

Old March 15th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 03/15/2010 11:27 AM, DaveM wrote:

Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

Now that I have heavy stiff skis, I find soft snow a lot more desirable.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land

Old March 15th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

DaveM wrote:
Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

DaveM

After a glorious week last week and a weekend of
sleet, rain, snow, freezing rain, rime ice, high
wind, lifts being down from wind, icing or lack
of interest, I'm looking forward to a good day
of calm wind, sunshine and 50 degrees with
wonderfully soft hero snow tomorrow.
..

Old March 16th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/15/2010 11:27 AM, DaveM wrote:

Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

Now that I have heavy stiff skis, I find soft snow a lot more desirable.

Oh, really, when it gets quite soft around here, I
get out the short (159cm), soft, turny, don't track
for sh*t, Blizzards intended for low intermediates.
Then I rock down the soft bumps. Bags o' laughs.
..

Old March 16th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
DaveM wrote:
Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

After a glorious week last week and a weekend of
sleet, rain, snow, freezing rain, rime ice, high
wind, lifts being down from wind, icing or lack
of interest, I'm looking forward to a good day
of calm wind, sunshine and 50 degrees with
wonderfully soft hero snow tomorrow.

Winter is fading fast here with temps at the hill in the mid fifties in
the day. The good news is that clear nights mean sub-freezing temps, so
there's hope yet.

Hope for the best....

//Walt

Old March 16th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
DaveM wrote:
Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

After a glorious week last week and a weekend of
sleet, rain, snow, freezing rain, rime ice, high
wind, lifts being down from wind, icing or lack
of interest, I'm looking forward to a good day
of calm wind, sunshine and 50 degrees with
wonderfully soft hero snow tomorrow.

Winter is fading fast here with temps at the hill in the mid fifties in
the day. The good news is that clear nights mean sub-freezing temps, so
there's hope yet.

Hope for the best....

//Walt

Well it never got to the 50's. High 30's maybe with
a bit of wind. If you were in the shade or on a north
facing trail, it never really got soft. East facing
and with sun most of the day it was glorious. I skied
in just a fleece vest, pants (!), baseball cap,
sunglasses and very thin gloves.

Tomorrow is promising to be better with Thursday being
not far behind. I won't get out tomorrow, but I will
Thursday. Yes, the nights are below freezing so in some
areas you need to wait 'til 11 or so for it to soften
up. Also, freezing at night and above freezing during
the day causes maple trees to do their thing for the
betterment of humankind.
..

Old March 17th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
DaveM

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:57:19 -0400, VtSkier
wrote:

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
DaveM wrote:
[...]

.

I am headed back up to the mountain tomnorrow. Might try to get a few
turn inon Thursday if I can. Got some work to do but hopefully if it
is decent I can get out and about and enjoy what should be a sunny
day. Should be.....

DaveM

Old March 18th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Ernie[_2_]

wrote:

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
DaveM wrote:
//Walt wrote:

DaveM wrote:

I am headed back up to the mountain tomnorrow. Might try to get a few
turn inon Thursday if I can. Got some work to do but hopefully if it
is decent I can get out and about and enjoy what should be a sunny
day. Should be.....

DaveM

On some warm spring days, my skis act like an old jalopy running on one
cylinder: stall and run, slide and grab. Does anyone have an explanation,
on what causes this, and how to avoid, or at least minimize, the problem.

Ernie

Old March 18th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

wrote:

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
DaveM wrote:
//Walt wrote:

DaveM wrote:

I am headed back up to the mountain tomnorrow. Might try to get a few
turn inon Thursday if I can. Got some work to do but hopefully if it
is decent I can get out and about and enjoy what should be a sunny
day. Should be.....

DaveM

On some warm spring days, my skis act like an old jalopy running on
one cylinder: stall and run, slide and grab. Does anyone have an
explanation, on what causes this, and how to avoid, or at least
minimize, the problem.

Use a warm snow wax. Re-apply often.

Old March 18th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

Bob F wrote:
Ernie wrote:

On some warm spring days, my skis act like an old jalopy running on
one cylinder: stall and run, slide and grab. Does anyone have an
explanation, on what causes this, and how to avoid, or at least
minimize, the problem.

Use a warm snow wax. Re-apply often.

Wax can certainly help, but I think what Ernie is experiencing is dirt
and dust in the snow. Depending on where you ski, this can be a real
problem. A couple of years ago I was at Copper after a huge dust storm
came through, depositing a fine brown layer of particulates on the snow.
Since the deposits were patchy, you'd ski fine for a bit, but whenever
you went over a brown patch your skis would stick as if someone had
applied Elmer's glue to the snow.

A big part of this phenomena is that the brown absorbs sunlight causing
the brownish patches to melt earlier than the surrounding snow.

To avoid it, try skiing shaded runs, or just look for discoloration.

Another phenomena that can cause this stall-and-run slide-and-grab
symptom is that early in the day there's often a crust on top of the
snow. The crust is hard and fast, but as soon as someone skis over it
the underlying soft snow is exposed which is much slower. Usually this
disappears after the first hour, but can sometimes persist all day on
lightly trafficed trails.

//Walt