Crossover and Crossunder

Old April 24th 05, 04:30 AM
foot2foot

Default Crossover and Crossunder

Crossover is extension at the moment of edge change.

Crossunder is retraction/flexion at the moment of edge change.

I pulled this out of the "toe pressure is crap" thread.

It was my thread. I can start another one if I want to.

Old April 24th 05, 01:47 PM
yunlong

foot2foot wrote:
Crossover is extension at the moment of edge change.

I don't really use the terms, but I think that "crossover" may refer to
weight shifting from downhill [ski] to uphill [ski], OVER the skis.

Crossunder is retraction/flexion at the moment of edge change.

And "crossunder" is referring to the skis, which sway from side to side
UNDER the body.

Different terms, nevertheless, both techniques are used to facilitate
to finish the turn on the uphill ski so the skier can start/link the
next turn.

I pulled this out of the "toe pressure is crap" thread.

It was my thread. I can start another one if I want to.

Insist on either term without knowing its functionality is a fixation.

IS

Old April 24th 05, 02:40 PM
Richard Henry

"foot2foot" wrote in message
Crossover is extension at the moment of edge change.

Crossunder is retraction/flexion at the moment of edge change.

I pulled this out of the "toe pressure is crap" thread.

It was my thread.

This is usenet. No one owns any threads.

I can start another one if I want to.

True.

Old April 24th 05, 10:48 PM
foot2foot

"yunlong" wrote in message
oups.com...
foot2foot wrote:
Crossover is extension at the moment of edge change.

I don't really use the terms, but I think that "crossover" may refer to
weight shifting from downhill [ski] to uphill [ski], OVER the skis.

Crossunder is retraction/flexion at the moment of edge change.

And "crossunder" is referring to the skis, which sway from side to side
UNDER the body.

Different terms, nevertheless, both techniques are used to facilitate
to finish the turn on the uphill ski so the skier can start/link the
next turn.

I pulled this out of the "toe pressure is crap" thread.

It was my thread. I can start another one if I want to.

Insist on either term without knowing its functionality is a fixation.

Yun, you may need to join the twentieth century and use the terms
"inside ski and outside ski". That way people will know what you
mean, sort of at least.

Old April 25th 05, 01:18 PM
yunlong

foot2foot wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in message
oups.com...
foot2foot wrote:
[...]

But you don't think that "the twentieth century" people should learn
the terms "uphill ski and downhill ski" to reflect the skiing
environment, and to catch up their incomplete knowledge?

Old April 25th 05, 01:27 PM
foot2foot

"yunlong" wrote in message
ups.com...

But you don't think that "the twentieth century" people should learn
the terms "uphill ski and downhill ski" to reflect the skiing
environment, and to catch up their incomplete knowledge?

Let me know when you've caught up with the rest of the
ski technique world terminology wise.

Till then, I'll call you.

Old April 25th 05, 01:52 PM
yunlong

foot2foot wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in message
ups.com...

But you don't think that "the twentieth century" people
should learn the terms "uphill ski and downhill ski" to
reflect the skiing environment, and to catch up their
incomplete knowledge?

Let me know when you've caught up with the rest of the
ski technique world terminology wise.

Probably not, I don't chase after "terminology," but the appropriate
techniques.

Till then, I'll call you.

What for? Flatboarding?

IS

Old April 25th 05, 02:03 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
foot2foot wrote:

"yunlong" wrote in message
groups.com...

foot2foot wrote:

[...]

Okay, what the hell. The rest of the poasts on this NG
are total crap. This seems to be the only skiing related
post so I'll bite.

IMO we need to know BOTH terms. Inside/outside ski has
a TURN as its reference. Uphill/downhill ski has the fall
line as its reference. At times they are both the same and
at times they are not. Sometimes Uphill/downhill ski has
no reference at all to a turn as in a traverse. Sometimes
the uphill ski and the outside ski are the same, as at
the beginning of a turn. Sometimes downhill ski and the
outside ski are the same, as at the end of a turn but
before you initiate the next turn.

I know, it's all very complicated, but with mileage, it
all becomes automatic and the words recede into
nothingness.

VtSkier
Old April 25th 05, 02:38 PM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

Okay, what the hell. The rest of the poasts on this NG
are total crap. This seems to be the only skiing related
post so I'll bite.

IMO we need to know BOTH terms. Inside/outside ski has
a TURN as its reference. Uphill/downhill ski has the fall
line as its reference. At times they are both the same and
at times they are not. Sometimes Uphill/downhill ski has
no reference at all to a turn as in a traverse. Sometimes
the uphill ski and the outside ski are the same, as at
the beginning of a turn. Sometimes downhill ski and the
outside ski are the same, as at the end of a turn but
before you initiate the next turn.

I know, it's all very complicated, but with mileage, it
all becomes automatic and the words recede into
nothingness.

Both terminologies have utility, but when you're talking about turns (as
opposed to traversing, sideslipping, etc.) inside/outside is less
confusing than uphill/downhill.

When linking turns, both skis alternate between uphill/downhill and
between inside/outside. The uphill/downhill transition occurs when the
skis cross the fall line, the inside/outside transition happens when the
skier initiates the next turn.

The thing is, to cross the fall line, the skier doesn't have to do
anything really, just continue what he was doing a moment ago. In
contrast, initiating a new turn requires that the skier do something.
(crossover, crossunder, weight transfer, whatever...) The essence of
turn initiation is switching skis, where inside becomes outside; the
rest of the turn is basically just finishing what you started. So, it
makes sense to think about it turn by turn : the outside ski is the
outside ski for the entire turn, when you start the next turn, the other
ski will become the outside ski.

In contrast, having the names change (from uphill to downhill) in the
middle of a turn is confusing to beginners.

My $.02.

--
//-Walt
//
Old April 25th 05, 02:43 PM
VtSkier

foot2foot wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in message
ups.com...

But you don't think that "the twentieth century" people should learn
the terms "uphill ski and downhill ski" to reflect the skiing
environment, and to catch up their incomplete knowledge?

Let me know when you've caught up with the rest of the
ski technique world terminology wise.

Till then, I'll call you.

Don't hold your breath. I've been asking him to do
just that all winter long.