End of the world as I know it ...

Old December 24th 04, 03:35 PM
marty

Default End of the world as I know it ...

The end is near. My son, my skiing buddy for the last 5 years, wants to
cross over to the dark side. He wants to learn how to snowboard!

I swear to god, if his grades drop, if he starts using drugs, he'll never
see snow again in his life! Nonetheless, he's a good, decent kid, and maybe
it won't be 100% bad. You gotta know I"m just kidding with all this
anti-riding nonsense.

So, we'll obviously be facing some equipment choices. In general, brands
and model numbers not necessary (yet), what type of equipment should I ask
for when renting? I know you have type of binding choices and boot choices
and board choices. If the rental place has more than one style, what's the
best way to go for a beginning rider who's a decent (but young) off-piste
powder/tree skier?

Thanks

Old December 26th 04, 12:53 AM
Mike T

I swear to god, if his grades drop, if he starts using drugs, he'll never
see snow again in his life! Nonetheless, he's a good, decent kid, and
maybe
it won't be 100% bad. You gotta know I"m just kidding with all this
anti-riding nonsense.

Everyone knows it's male adolescents on the slopes that you have to watch
out for, not snowboarders... there just happens to be a lot of overlap....

All kidding aside...

So, we'll obviously be facing some equipment choices. In general, brands
and model numbers not necessary (yet), what type of equipment should I ask
for when renting? I know you have type of binding choices and boot
choices
and board choices. If the rental place has more than one style,

If you are in the US or Canada, then most resorts will have one type of
equipmnet for general rentals... in lots of different sizes. Often times
it will be a softish all-mountain board with step-in bindings and matching
boots.

This set-up is just fine for the first few days out, where "few" is one for
crossover skiers who learn snowboarding quickly and usually more - 3 - 8
times I would say.

what's the
best way to go for a beginning rider who's a decent (but young) off-piste
powder/tree skier?

Once your son learns what he's doing and pesters you for better gear, then
just start demoing... many mountains have demo gear and the rental staff can
usually pick out something decent for him based on his interests. Or rent
demo from a shop nearby. Pretty much the same process you use to demo
skis.

No reason your son can't ride while you ski and the two of you can't have a
blast together! I see it all the time. Or, try a board yourself one
day... who knows you might like it! Oh, and "the dark side" of course
depends on context, but some snowboarders call alpine snowboarding (hard
boots and plate bindings) "the dark side".

-Darth Vader, a.k.a. Mike T